Halibut Anchor System

Waiting for my 2325 kingfisher to be built. I’m going to make up a halibut anchor system. What do people put the anchor system in (size of container). I’m going with a 10 kg Bruce anchor 40’ 3/8” chain 500’-600’ 3/8” anchor line.

I use a milk crate allows it to dry a bit better, but I still like to stretch it out to dry on a sunny day time permitting.

Last edited:
Buy one of those tupperware totes the size you need and use a 1" hole saw and cut about 4 or 5 drainage holes in the bottom and a couple in the sides to allow air in to dry things a bit... also, like ziggy above said - take the time to dry the line out now and then to avoid mildew smell in the boat.
Unless this is also your main boat anchor I think a 7.5 kg would suffice for a hali anchor for your boat...

My boat has a fish locker in the front deck which i never use so i put the rope and chain in there as it is self bailing so it drains to ocean. I just unclip the anchor itself and put it in the anchor locker. its my main anchor anyways i dont use a different one for hali anchoring, other than i put it in zap tie mode for hali anchoring but back to normal mode if im anchoring overnight in shelter.

For anchor size i use a genuine danforth i think its around 14lbs but have no issues with hold. I say genuine because i had the knock off hooker before that and it folded like a cheap lawnchair even with my old 14footer with a 25hp on it. The genuine is cast and has symmetric teeth, way better.

Waiting for my 2325 kingfisher to be built. I’m going to make up a halibut anchor system. What do people put the anchor system in (size of container). I’m going with a 10 kg Bruce anchor 40’ 3/8” chain 500’-600’ 3/8” anchor line.
Blue recycle bin. Drain holes pre-done.
Free at the dump.

Thanks for the info and pictures everybody. Got it, Will have to go out and pick one out. I haven’t used this kind of system before. Is it pretty easy to use, and to haul it up.

Thanks for the info and pictures everybody. Got it, Will have to go out and pick one out. I haven’t used this kind of system before. Is it pretty easy to use, and to haul it up.
It is probably the most dangerous fishing system that exists.
You really need to do out with someone who can show you the proper precautions.
Get the rope caught in your prop while preparing to pull your anchor in any tide over knot or so could result in capsizing your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search on here plenty of tips and advice.

Take someone with you that has done it before.
practice setting and retrieving, do it somewhere without much current on a nice day. Become skilled at it before putting it to use out in the open.
It is a simple system to use, but things can go sideways and If they do go sideways it happens in a hurry

I know I'm asking a lot. What is the best set up for halibut fishing. Jigs what colours or making up leaders with hoochie (sizes) and hooks (sizes). What are the colours to go with. Do you use down riggers or just 1-2 lb lead weights. This summer will be our first time going. Getting this ready before so we have it all.

I know I'm asking a lot. What is the best set up for halibut fishing. Jigs what colours or making up leaders with hoochie (sizes) and hooks (sizes). What are the colours to go with. Do you use down riggers or just 1-2 lb lead weights. This summer will be our first time going. Getting this ready before so we have it all.
octopus, herring or salmon bellies work best, sometime with 7" hoochie's or without.
Out Swiftsure way spoons are popular and an anchoring is not necessary.
best to start with 2 pound weights on spider wire. 150 to 350' depths and use the drift method.

For colors, white or chartreuse glow seem to be the best. The rest will depend on location. No shortage of info on the internet as to the other details

Have a look on Salmon Universities site it has good info.

It is probably the most dangerous fishing system that exists.
You really need to do out with someone who can show you the proper precautions.
Get the rope caught in your prop while preparing to pull your anchor in any tide over a couple of knots could result in capsizing your boat.
Or go out with Wolf on one of his spring Halibut trips

Way to big of an anchor I use an 11lb anchor for my boat 20’ amd my buddies 27 whaler
11lb Bruce, 100ft 1/4” chain amd 600 ft of rope

I don’t size the anchor like you would for overnight mooring. If anything I’d want it to drag if the current was too bad or rogue wave etc

in fact one time we anchored my friends 27 whaler and also threw a line to a other 22ft bay liner that wanted to anchor w us... winter harbour In the swells. Point is you don’t need 22lbs anchor

I use a garbage can because I’ve got 1/2 “ rope. Wish it was 3/8” but I used what I had
I find 600ft to be too much usually in the 250-300ft depth range I fish. Going to cut back to 500ft

for tackle. My fav is salmon belly’s or squid. 9/0 Vmc single hooks in tandem 2lb or 1-1-2 balls on a spreader. Front rods have 2lbs rear have 1-1/2lb and rearmost 1lb. Really decreases tangles. We do 4 rods most of the time. Maybe a 5th of currents allow

Last edited:
Where did you order your boat from

Back