Halibut allocation policy does make sense

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/Halibut+allocation+policy+does+make+sense/1551549/story.html

Halibut allocation policy does make sense

By Jake Vander Heide, Courier-Islander May 1, 2009

I am President of the Pacific Halibut Management Association (PHMA), an organization representing commercial halibut licence holders. I am writing in response to Jeremy Maynard's April 22, article about the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Pacific Halibut Allocation Policy.

It is important to remember that Mr. Maynard comes from the commercial recreational sector - the fishing lodge and charter vessel side of the recreational fishery, which according to DFO accounts for the majority (69 per cent) of all recreationally-caught halibut. As such he has a vested interest in the halibut allocation issue; he is not an independent bystander.

There are many misrepresentations in Mr. Maynard's article; however, I will focus on just two. First, Mr. Maynard claims that there are "credible estimates accepted by government" that recreationally-caught halibut generates between $15 and $20 per pound for the economy. These estimates were not accepted by the federal government, are not credible and were simply manufactured by the recreational sector to promote its own self-interest. Second, despite Mr. Maynard's claim, the PHMA has never acknowledged recreational halibut are twice the value of commercially-caught halibut.

From Mr. Maynard's perspective, everyone except the recreational sector is wrong. The independent allocation advisor (a respected mediator and arbitrator and now a BC Supreme Court Judge) hired by DFO to recommend fair and equitable halibut allocations had it wrong when he advised 91 per cent for the commercial sector and nine per cent for the recreational sector. The then Liberal federal fisheries minister had it wrong when he subsequently announced in 2003 that the shares would be 88 per cent for the commercial sector and 12 per cent for the recreational sector (33 per cent above the recommended recreational allocation). Three subsequent federal fisheries ministers (one Liberal and two Conservative) had it wrong when they reviewed the facts and decided to support the halibut allocation policy. Commercial halibut fishermen have it wrong because they produce food for Canadians and provide jobs and incomes for British Columbians.

Mr. Maynard's article is a one-sided, vested interest diatribe. Maybe it is time that Mr. Maynard realizes that it is the recreational sector that has it wrong. Of course, in light of the twisted distortions in the Maynard article, he probably already knows this.

Jake vander Heide,

PHMA President

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

My gawd!!! I just love how he can ignore the fact that the commercials got a free ride at the expense of the people of Canada that actually own the resource.

There are liars, and then they are DAMN liars. Guess which one I put Mr Vander Heide in???? :(

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I am president of the Average Joe who fishes for halibut because he does not want to buy from people who are unbelievably rich and want things to say that way, says that the Pacific Halibut Commission is full of Halibut poop!:D
And so is their President.

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

My gawd!!! I just love how he can ignore the fact that the commercials got a free ride at the expense of the people of Canada that actually own the resource.

There are liars, and then they are DAMN liars. Guess which one I put Mr Vander Heide in???? :(

Can you point out the lies for those not quite up to speed?

Its all posted previously... just review the previous posts, it would be a LOT of work to go back and repost everything that contradicks (sp) his BS

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I am sorry that you have not got it by now and if we have to point out the lies to you it would be a big waste of time. I have a feeling that you believe what is claimed to be lies.
To me it is not the point of the lies but his absolute arrogance.

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Gunsmith

I am sorry that you have not got it by now and if we have to point out the lies to you it would be a big waste of time. I have a feeling that you believe what is claimed to be lies.
To me it is not the point of the lies but his absolute arrogance.
It's not if I agree or disagree. If you are going to call someone a liar then prove it.

If I choose to believe that charter boats should be treated as a commercial interest that is my choice. It doesn't make me a liar it just means I have a different opinion.

Point taken but he is still an arrogant SOB.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Another point if charter boats were or are a commercial interest why are they not included in the commercial allotment?:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Another point if charter boats were or are a commercial interest why are they not included in the commercial allotment?:D

Why not exactly. I could buy a nice little quota, and know when my season is going to start and end for sure. Then it makes my business worth something when I go to sell it.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Why not exactly. I could buy a nice little quota, and know when my season is going to start and end for sure. Then it makes my business worth something when I go to sell it.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com
Then write your letter to the minister asking to be able to lease quota for your operation. Makes sense, that way you would have stability for your business. the SFAB is leasing quota as we speak from the commercial sector so why can't the charter guys if they so choose?

No, write a letter to the Minister and ask her to give you and all the sportfishing citizens the same deal that was given to the commercial fleet.
That is NO COST quota as they received.
We should not pay for something that belongs to Canadians, not the commercial fleet.

I think that was a mistype "Misister" might make you related to her.:D:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by OldBlackDog

No, write a letter to the Minister and ask her to give you and all the sportfishing citizens the same deal that was given to the commercial fleet.
That is NO COST quota as they received.
We should not pay for something that belongs to Canadians, not the commercial fleet.
We were given 12% from the minister as a free gift. Many lodges and charter businesses have done quite well profiting from it. Now with the reduced TAC everybody needs to take the hit. Not just one group.

Again if Gunsmith wants to lease/buy quota to make sure his business is viable during the low abundance year then he/she should be allowed to. Again it makes perfect sense on a business plan.

On that not Gunsmith you are not alone in thinking it would be a good idea to be able to lease/buy quota to makes sure clients have fish to catch.

I don't have a business. I am just a person who invested all his money where he should be able to enjoy a few days fishing and finds he is being held hostage to those who think they have the god given right to a Public resource.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I am for 50% of the TAC as gift to the anglers and every pound the commercials want more than their 50% they need to buy from us!

I don't have a business. I am just a person who invested all his money where he should be able to enjoy a few days fishing and finds he is being held hostage to those who think they have the god given right to a Public resource.:D

IMG_1445.jpg
Agreed... but there are those that are abusing the privledge.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

I am for 50% of the TAC as gift to the anglers and every pound the commercials want more than their 50% they need to buy from us!
If the lodges and charters were able to use commercial quota there would be lots to go around. 68% of the publics share is being used to subsidise the commercial sports group....nice free gift:D

Back