Halibut 2017

Shows (to me anyway) the value and importance of accurate catch Data and thoughtfully addressing release morts ect. considering the early numbers being tossed around this is a good outcome over all .
Nice work to all who put the time in.

So I am not up to speed on what that means for Sporties. Does that mean we get an additional 150,000 lbs. ? or that we get 150,000lbs. x 15% (22,500 lbs.) ?

Interesting slot limit for Alaska one per day four fish annual limit of which one 44" and under (might have been 43") or one 80" or greater. This equates to 30lbs and under and over 200lbs.

Interesting slot limit for Alaska one per day four fish annual limit of which one 44" and under (might have been 43") or one 80" or greater. This equates to 30lbs and under and over 200lbs.

That's for area 2C . For area 3A which is also Alaska, two per day, one can be any size, one under 28". Essentially a one per day any size as good luck finding a 28" halibut. However those are guided trip limits only, unguided they are 2 any size per day I believe in both areas.

And means an additional 22,500lbs for this season. Same limits I'd assume

I think I like our slot limit better. Personally 4 fish annual limit with 133cm or less without the small slot would be better for me as I only make one trip north a year.

Reactions: KCD
I think I like our slot limit better. Personally 4 fish annual limit with 133cm or less without the small slot would be better for me as I only make one trip north a year.

You're a resident of bc. If you were in Alaska you could get two a day any size....so that'd probably be better for you. Although yes our slot is better on guided side if you took away the lower slot (which statistically doesn't make sense :p)

good job team on getting this done. happy with the job you guys do with the hand tying that happens.

no one should be happy with our tac %

Reactions: GLG
You're a resident of bc. If you were in Alaska you could get two a day any size....so that'd probably be better for you. Although yes our slot is better on guided side if you took away the lower slot (which statistically doesn't make sense :p)

This is false and I'm not sure why you keep pushing this. You were given an opportunity to prove this but you did not. I, on the other hand, did take the time to gather all the data and post it here on this website to test your theroy. I'm sorry that it did not pan out but the math just doesn't work out.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...aboo-subject-on-sfbc.64555/page-5#post-808033

Safe bet to say same limits as last year or even 133/90. Realize as Deryk told me the other day iRec is increasing as well.

As Dave said.. we have a couple issue in play that have impacts.. IREC has now been increase to a 50p level ..last season irec was a 25p level.. so to put in perspective...if we ran IREC 50p on last year catch...it would have ate up another 42,000 plus pounds... Yellow eye at this time who knows.... everyone that hali fish should be looking at descending devices to be on your Riggs this coming season for sure....

As Dave said.. we have a couple issue in play that have impacts.. IREC has now been increase to a 50p level ..last season irec was a 25p level.. so to put in perspective...if we ran IREC 50p on last year catch...it would have ate up another 42,000 plus pounds... Yellow eye at this time who knows.... everyone that hali fish should be looking at descending devices to be on your Riggs this coming season for sure....

Bet most here have no ideal about IREC and the effect it is having on them.

Also yellow eye Possible effects.

And lastly descending devices, which are not yet approved by Canada.

Please give them the low down.

decending device is a a scotty clip lightly clipped to the lip.. lower slowly til i touch bottom, then hit the power on button.. works every time without any more needed equipment on board..
sorry for the derail..

I see on the IPHC website documents that Alaska was pushing for a more consistent quota for area 2B and 2C. Are they lobbying to have the Canadian share cut in order to give them even more? Seems funny that they are all over 2B, which is the Canadian share yet not so much on the other Alaska zones?
Maybe I'm reading it all wrong?

Absolutely on the descending device, works great. Yelloweye issue won't really affect halibut # amount caught but could areas allowed to fish if I'm not mistaken.

And one thing I think people and sfab should consider is we have left a lottttt of poundage in the water over last few years (not here to start pissing match about it but its true) and I think it is fair to say DFO knows this and would be lenient if say mid September we are right around quota, I'm sure they'd let fish into November as many have said on here those months are almost negligible. I honestly don't see how same regs or even 133/90cm wouldn't work even with increase in irec. Have emailed Minister Leblanc probably 3 times over past few months as I know a few of my friends have requesting at least 20% for the rec sector, hope you all do the same.

dominic.leblanc@parl.gc.ca

The other consideration for this year is that in 2016 the August halibut catch was way below historic numbers because of the bad weather (winds) in may areas off the coast at that time. So going forward this year they are looking at what will IREC and a more normal August do to the numbers this year. After only 3 or 4 years of having to craft a plan to keep us as close to our quota without going over they have done a admirable job. Each year they have come closer to the target number and I'm sure with a few years of data in their pockets now, they will continue to do the same.

And September was way above...like way above. If memory serves me right 3-4x as much which won't hold up. So balances out...actually think difference in September was larger than August difference. Will they take that into consideration? And if the limits go down there better be anarchy. Holy smokes. That'd be...that'd be something.

Back