Hali spots

Tieoneon

Heading to Ukee last 2 weeks of July, wondering if anyone would share any knowledge about any dependable Hali spots not too far offshore.

Catching halibut off Ukee isn't rocket science and there are lots of places to try. Take a look at some charts and find some structure. I either find a hump or somewhere along the edge of the banks where the depth goes from quite deep to 200-400 ft and give it a go. Use good bait like salmon heads or bellys and be patient. I normally anchor up but if you aren't familiar with doing that than just drift. I'm sure there are guys that have honey holes but I always seem to get Halibut relatively quickly fishing this way. Last time out I didn't even get a burger cooked and had 2 in the boat. Make sure you are familiar with the size limits and have something ready to take a measurement of the fish with it in the water. If you have a computer or phone google navionics webapp and you can see detailed charts and pick some spots to try before you go.

Catching halibut off Ukee isn't rocket science and there are lots of places to try. Take a look at some charts and find some structure. I either find a hump or somewhere along the edge of the banks where the depth goes from quite deep to 200-400 ft and give it a go. Use good bait like salmon heads or bellys and be patient. I normally anchor up but if you aren't familiar with doing that than just drift. I'm sure there are guys that have honey holes but I always seem to get Halibut relatively quickly fishing this way. Last time out I didn't even get a burger cooked and had 2 in the boat. Make sure you are familiar with the size limits and have something ready to take a measurement of the fish with it in the water. If you have a computer or phone google navionics webapp and you can see detailed charts and pick some spots to try before you go.
Thanks so much for the info, I’ve caught the odd one trolling but need to study the chart a bit and put some time in actually fishing the bottom. Seem to spend most of our time bucktailing for coho.
Thanks again

Use the navionics website. It's free and allows you to study on a bigger screen. I spend hours on it prior to trips. It's nice when you know which way the current will be going at different times. Allows you to find the holes to be at

It was the members of this forum who told me about the navionics site

Use the navionics website. It's free and allows you to study on a bigger screen. I spend hours on it prior to trips. It's nice when you know which way the current will be going at different times. Allows you to find the holes to be at

It was the members of this forum who told me about the navionics site
Do you have a link?

Great. Thanks

+1. The Navionics website is a great and FREE option. You can also download the Navionics app so you have it on your phone or tablet and get the contours while on the water.

Screenshot_20180629-091424_Boating-HD.jpg

Get some hoochie's that look like this:

http://my.ecplaza.net/ymfishing/69.jpg

Far left & second from end on right are winners.

Put them on a 60# 44 inch leader, glow flasher.

Fish close to thee bottom.

You' re there for a long time & will get your hallies
Try South Bank, Long Beach, Light House Bank

Dependable can change somewhat often.
What speed do you troll these hootchies when fishing hallies only?

What speed do you troll these hootchies when fishing hallies only?
Never trolled for hallies only as the bottom is IMO a great place to catch a large Chinook. Wanna make sure the flasher is rotating; probably a speed around 2.5 mph

Back