Haida Gwaii

Confused

We are heading over to Haida Gwaii on July 18th and staying for 12 days. I have been there once before but didnt do any fishing other than crabbing. This time I am hauling my boat, a 19ft harbercraft. Most of the threads I have searched on here seem to concentrate on the westcoast, hippa, etc. that seems like a long run to me. We would be staying most of the trip at North beach, with a few days at queen Charlotte city.

So i was wondering if someone could steer my in the right direction as far as fishing out of Masset, that isnt too far(inside of 20 miles), and what kind of fishing I can expect at that time of year. We are interested in both salmon and bottom fishing. Also a spot or two out of Queen Charlotte city would be helpful as well.

Also some tips on bait for that time of year would be helpful as well, herring, or anchovie, etc.

I know that the fishing out on the west coast sounds thrilling, but just not looking for a huge run for a day trip, my wife would really appreciate having not to go that far as well.

Not looking for the biggest fish in the seas, just would like to see some new water, and some nice fish.

Thanks in advance.

We are heading over to Haida Gwaii on July 18th and staying for 12 days. I have been there once before but didnt do any fishing other than crabbing. This time I am hauling my boat, a 19ft harbercraft. Most of the threads I have searched on here seem to concentrate on the westcoast, hippa, etc. that seems like a long run to me. We would be staying most of the trip at North beach, with a few days at queen Charlotte city.

So i was wondering if someone could steer my in the right direction as far as fishing out of Masset, that isnt too far(inside of 20 miles), and what kind of fishing I can expect at that time of year. We are interested in both salmon and bottom fishing. Also a spot or two out of Queen Charlotte city would be helpful as well.

Also some tips on bait for that time of year would be helpful as well, herring, or anchovie, etc.

I know that the fishing out on the west coast sounds thrilling, but just not looking for a huge run for a day trip, my wife would really appreciate having not to go that far as well.

Not looking for the biggest fish in the seas, just would like to see some new water, and some nice fish.

Thanks in advance.

Fishing out of Masset is pretty easy. Basically I used to fish 7 Mile point (Red X on the map) trolling in the general yellow triangle. Fishing the kelp bed can be very productive.
Or the green buoy just outside the Masset harbor mouth, same thing in the yellow triangle.
You don't need to be deep, 50' or less.
Watch out for the pinnacle between the 7 mile buoy and the shore , that one has claimed a few cannonballs.

If all else fails, at that time of year look for the other boats, most are pretty friendly as long as you don't troll in their wake.

Anchovies with a dummy flasher were my choice, but I caught lots of fish on tomic plugs, hoochies, spoons . When the fish were biting, it didn't really seem to matter what you had in the water but depth seemed the most important factor.

It's about a 15 min run out the Masset inlet, but at that time of year you must fish north of a line drawn between Entry Point to Westacott Point.

Attachments

• Masset.jpg
    Masset.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 562
Last edited by a moderator:
As stated above fishing out of Masset your best options are fishing 7 mile ( beautiful massive kelp bed ), or just past 7 mile you will find cape edensaw. Cape Edensaw can be red hot some days with multiple tyee days possible , quite a vast area of fishable shoreline. As for tackle , as always in the gwaii, cutplugs in the kelp are hard to beat, but your anchovy behind a dummie flasher will also take its fair share. Cape edensaw can also be a great area to troll up halibut.

I can't help you with masset but if you fish out of queen charlotte city you want to head through the narrows. Protected waters the whole way but don't run it at low tide. Some good kelp beds to fish out that way as well. Just to the south is west coast resorts. Should be lots of boats at all the hot spots. Checkout there website as well. They have a map of there fishing grounds. http://www.westcoastresorts.com/lodges/englefield-bay.html#lightbox/0/

If you change your mind and are thinking of fishing out of rennell sound I can point you in the right direction out that way. Very cool area and u could do a day trip out of charlotte city if you trailer your boat. Were heading home right when you head out so I can give you an up to date report.

Fishing out of Masset is pretty easy. Basically I used to fish 7 Mile point (Red X on the map) trolling in the general yellow triangle. Fishing the kelp bed can be very productive.
Or the green buoy just outside the Masset harbor mouth, same thing in the yellow triangle.
You don't need to be deep, 50' or less.
Watch out for the pinnacle between the 7 mile buoy and the shore , that one has claimed a few cannonballs.

If all else fails, at that time of year look for the other boats, most are pretty friendly as long as you don't troll in their wake.

Anchovies with a dummy flasher were my choice, but I caught lots of fish on tomic plugs, hoochies, spoons . When the fish were biting, it didn't really seem to matter what you had in the water but depth seemed the most important factor.

It's about a 15 min run out the Masset inlet, but at that time of year you must fish north of a line drawn between Entry Point to Westacott Point.

Thank you very much for that! Is the last 10 days of July a good time for Springs there? Are there any coho at that time in that location? What about bottom fishing?

thanks again.

Should be lots of coho around and springs should still be everywhere. Can't comment on bottom fish in masset but the west side has lots of good bottom fishing.

Back