Gun Control in US and Canada

Certainly violence in society/media/video games etc are the root cause of this.....but.....Lorne...to say that if this crazy kid didn't have a gun, that he would have used something else is just not possible. What sort of weapon would someone be able to kill 27 people so fast with? The gun is not at fault, but it sure made it easy for this guy to go on his crazy rampage. Tooooo many guns in the world that are not intended for hunting.

Pretty easy for us to talk about this in Canada where there aren't guns in glove boxes etc. I was recently just shocked chatting with a couple friends from the states, who had hand guns of their own for self defence. One girl had one in her purse, on by her bed and one in the car. I doubt she could properly use them knowing her.

Sad day. Can't imagine the feeling of loss and anger those parents are feeling.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/14/connecticut-school-shooting.html

This says it was a .223 cal. It does not say which model. Could be anything from a AR15 to a ruger varment gun.

From CNN........CBC has it wrong from what I have read coming out of the US, not that I am surprised. I read somewhere else that the .223 was a rifle but may have been in the trunk of the shooters car.

[Updated at 3:54 p.m. ET] Three guns were found at the scene, CNN's Susan Candiotti reports. According to a law enforcement source, the third weapon found on the scene was a .223 Bushmaster. The other weapons, previously reported, are a Glock, and a Sig-Sauer. No word on the models of Glock or Sig-Sauer.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are millions of people with guns not commiting violent acts as well.

That is a very good point but the difference is video games are designed for entertainment guns are designed for killing. But as you said there are many responsible gun owners.

Sad to see... It makes you wonder what can stop it. I do think gun access has a role in all of this. 28 people would never have been killed without them. Alot of guys enjoy pistols, assualt rifles etc and use them responsibly but they seem to do more harm than good when made available to the public. Even responsibly owned guns get stolen and often wind up in the wrong hands. The ease of access down there is scary. I think limiting these at risk weapons would definately annoy people and it wouldn't fix the problem but would help. A 20 year old would have a very hard time accessing two pistols in Canada. Sad either way.

Going to have to outlaw knives too

22 pupils injured in knife attack in Henan primary school, suspect nabbed
Twenty-two school children and a villager were injured in a knife attack at the gate of a primary school in central China's Henan Province Friday morning, according to local authorities. Local police said they had seized the suspect, a 36-year-old villager named Min Yingjun. The attack happened at around 7:40 a.m. at the entrance of Chenpeng Village Primary School in Wenshu Township of Guangshan County in the city of Xinyang, a police officer said on condition of anonymity. The case is under investigation.

Going to have to outlaw knives too

22 pupils injured in knife attack in Henan primary school, suspect nabbed
Twenty-two school children and a villager were injured in a knife attack at the gate of a primary school in central China's Henan Province Friday morning, according to local authorities. Local police said they had seized the suspect, a 36-year-old villager named Min Yingjun. The attack happened at around 7:40 a.m. at the entrance of Chenpeng Village Primary School in Wenshu Township of Guangshan County in the city of Xinyang, a police officer said on condition of anonymity. The case is under investigation.

So not one person died because china has such strict gun laws, instead 22 people were injured only. You're building a strong case for gun control.

CIVANO, this is actually a great example of the result of the same sort of act in places with different gun control legislation. China has HUGE gun control....so this crazy guy used what was available; a knife...and injured a lot of people, but they lived.

I am sure that the folks down in Connecticut would feel a lot better dealing with injured rather than dead victims.

A study in the Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery found that the gun murder rate in the U.S. is almost 20 times higher than the next 22 richest and most populous nations combined. Every one of those nations has stricter gun control laws.

I haven't read the study but if its true how can people say gun control doesn't work!

My post was poorly presented. I was reinforcing that there are crazy people everywhere to hurt us and our children even if they do not have a gun. I live in the Seattle area and I believe that this country should make it difficult to purchase a gun. I support a longer waiting period and thorough background check. We should outlaw automatic weapons and extended clips. We should severly tighten sales at gun shows. We should severly stiffen jail time when guns are used. I do think that given all the above a qualified citizen should be able to purchase a gun. We have a serious problem with the quantity of weapons available legally and not. We have a government who gives automatic weapons to Mexican cartels. We need laws that are both strict, enforced and fair.

A study in the Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery found that the gun murder rate in the U.S. is almost 20 times higher than the next 22 richest and most populous nations combined. Every one of those nations has stricter gun control laws.

I haven't read the study but if its true how can people say gun control doesn't work!

I think this says more about the US as a society than their gun control laws.

Banning anything has not proven to reduce its availability to the criminally minded. Jamaica banned all guns back in the 70s and saw an increase in all crime including gun crime that has never fallen.

If legal availability of firearms caused gun crime and school shootings the Swiss would be in a bad way but they are not.
Mass shootings are a people problem, and the simple truth is that bankrupt nations with poor education and mental health systems are bad places to raise stable individuals.

I think this says more about the US as a society than their gun control laws.

Agreed.

398321_584789227172_1850427611_n_zps709f14e9.jpg

For all the mis informed that are suggesting more laws, what exactly do you suggest?

Lorne

the person who committed this mass murder was not a street criminal and likely purchased the guns on the legal market, one can only assume there is no "street market" in small town conneticut - so ya stricter gun control might have prevented him getting a hold of the weapons.

the person who committed this mass murder was not a street criminal and likely purchased the guns on the legal market, one can only assume there is no "street market" in small town conneticut - so ya stricter gun control might have prevented him getting a hold of the weapons.

So what you are saying is, I live in british columbia and have no idea what im talking about so yah ill jus make off the cuff assumptions. IF he didnt have access to guns he coulda have drove his car through the play ground. Why is it so hard to understand its the indian not the arrow.

Lorne

While I see a need for having rife to go hunt to put food on the table.
Why would you need a hand gun if you don't intend to kill someone.
Frankly the world would be alot safer if there were far fewer guns around.
My heart broke when I saw the pictures of the folks down south at that school.
Time to go give my kid a hug.
GLG

Again mis informed spouting off. THe guns were purchased LEGALLY. BY HIS MOTHER. THe mother he shot to death. Handguns in Connecticut are more tightly controlled than in almost any other state. In order to purchase one not only do you have to go through the federally mandated background check before buying the gun, but Connecticut also requires their citizens to have a permit to purchase the handgun and take a firearms safety course. The shooter was only 20 and not old enough to legally purchase the firearm in CT. (min age is 21)

Want other examples of how states with stronger control work. Google the shootings in chicago and colorado in there "no gun zones" Doesnt get anymore gun controlled then an area were its illegal for civilains to carry guns at all. THat worked pretty good to~!

There is no hunting situation I can think of where a fully automatic,or extended clip assault rifle is required or is desirable. Pistols and fully auto weapons are ment for one thing only as the military has proved-people hunting. Yes they are fun to fire on a range ( I have done it many times in my career) but there is no way they should be available to the general public. Canada's gun laws are about right-long guns and shotguns ok-pistols -stricter controls and fully auto weapons-banned. That is a long way from the rules or lack thereof down the states. My heart goes out to all those folks down there for their loss-no one can imagine what they are going through or even what was going through the mind of the perp. Hard to even comprehend.

Todays sad events will ruin the lives and peace of many persons, immediate families, extended families, friends, the officers and emergency personal who have to see this in person and their families. Hundreds of peoples lives upset forever. Because young kids have been targeted...you will see some action taken. The public will react and force some change.
I sincerely hope your right,profisher! What happened there today is tragic beyond
words,but maybe it will take something like this for the U.S. to wake up.

Back