Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

here was a good previous post to help you out Pip

That is pretty good advice! I would also add you can troll almost twice as far down Galiano to the hooks in the contour lines especially when it is slow it the prime area where your track is shown. When the tide has backed off fishing right in front of the pass can be good as well. Not many people fish the inside these days but if you know what your doing there were guys who use to do very well working there gear into the wall. If its slow on the outside there is a good chance there may be fish inside. Usually by June the fish are found in tight but again when its slow try out a bit farther in say in 220ft of water and some days fish are deep..like 140-180ft on the rigger with minimum 15# lead. I also tried 3 miles out on the 1000ft contour when it was slow in tight. Similar to Thrasher and have found fish out there as well.

Saltspring fishing?
I have a freind who is moving to Saltspring this weekend , he has a small alum cartopper and loves to fish.
I helped him out with some gear and showed him basics , but I and he does not know any spots that are the dominate spots around the area.
He does not want to venture too far yet until he gets used to the boat and area and gains confidence.
He is living half way between Vesuvious and Fulford.
He has already been limiting out on crab just off the docks.
Rock cod and LIng would make him a happy camper, a salmon would be his first and would make him a addict.
Thanks for any input.

Coming out into the gulf through Porlier just after low slack saw one guy a half mile right out front, 6 boats down the Galiano side and one up the Valdez side. Didn't see any nets flashing but could only keep specs on em for a few minutes. Water was brown on the outside, but it wasn't too thick as the tug was churning up plenty of green in the wake. Love reading the reports, great forum and threads :)

tell him to go online to the rock fish conservation areas around saltspring lots of closed areas.my buddy was fishing the bluffs this morning he picked up a nice 8lber in an hr fishing low slack tide.

Dont wanna sound stupid , but , where are the bluffs?
yes , he has regs with all the RCA's ....and is aware.
a nice 8-10 lbers would put him in seventh heaven...
thanks

thanks

Pender bluffs. A good way to figure out how to fish around the gulf islands would be to attend the Saltspring Island Mobys pub fishing derby June 14-15. There will be lots of local knowledge.

thanks
The bluffs are just outside of bed well harbour also known as poets cove. Also moresby island is close I have seen lots of boats fish around there. Samsun narrows is also close.

I will be fishing Porlier & Thrasher this weekend 30 ft tiara named Reel Deal. If any of you are out there I am usually monitoring channel 16 say hello and we can swap reports. Looks like it is going to be a beauty weekend!! Tight Lines

Fished Thrasher this morning taking a chance that the winds would be OK once we got out there … lines down at 7 AM … a big splash off a wave to wake us up … lol … and a 15 lb in the box within 10 minutes of that … wtf … that never happens to me and that's why I rarely post .. lol. Must say ... the waves didn't seem that bad after that but there weren't many other boats out there that I could see. Couple more hits, one good one that I got to surface but got off about 20 ft from the boat … one undersize made it to the boat and lived for another day. Ended up trolling all the way to Porlier (the wave gods decided that was the way to go) and called it a good hour and half or so of fishing. 170 ft on the rigger at 700 ft depth. Yellowish/green UV flasher that has the 4 or five dots on one side coupled with the identical spoon.IMG_0118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished inside Active Pass at Collinson Point for an hour and a half from low slack into the flood - picked up 2 - one under sized and one about 8Lbs. Both on green and white Coho Killer [it really is a killer lure! ] at 90' on rigger, 15lb ball. Water is getting a little murky, lots of feed on the finder. 4 other boats there, didn't see any other net work. Going to try Salamanca tomorrow and may run up to Porlier - will monitor 16 and happy to share info. 28' Pursuit. Great thread - thanks to all for the reports!

Collinson = inside of Active Pass
Salamanca = outside Active Pass about a mile up towards Porlier (aka cable bay, powerlines)

what about Saturna by east point and towards boat pass. Is there still fishing in that area?
I fished there in the early 80's with my dad. Camping on Cabage island.

Back