Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

Tried to fish Salamanca yesterday but too choppy for me - came back inside and fished Helen Point, lots of 6 -8" shakers and lost one on a green and white Coho Killer, 90' [didn't get a good enough look to know but would guess it was a Sockeye or Pink ] near the boat and that was it. Moved over to Collinson with 8 other boats and saw one small fish landed in about 3 hours.
Lots of bait on screen, bunch of finning and a couple of jumpers. Tried pink hootchies, dummy flashers, green and white and pink Coho Killers, Anrdrew's special, and a 'Holt Renfrew' with a small pink hootchie skirt - really - I was desperate. it's got to get better, right?

Trolled down to Edith Point yesterday Evening to the Big Full Moon. Nothin. . Big Rollers toughed it out. . .Jigged a bit and nothin but a Rock Cod. Fished Collinson all day today rigger to 60ft down to 80 ft 2pm -6pm. . . didn't want to risk deeper. . . caught a 8" shaker on a green/white coho killer and that's about it. No jumping. . . flat as a pancake out there too. Doldrum like. Only boat out there fishing. Where's the Sox?? Don't think they be coming this way. Ran dummy's. Ran another one line on a sinker to 35'. 50m to 100m offshore. up and down to pass entrance.

Another day in a wasteland. No gulls, no ducks, little bait on the screen. 4 hours at Collinson and Helen Points - 5 other boats, nada, zip, zero.

Fished polier today. Scoped lots of bait and arches...but no love. Had kids with me so couldn't put in too much time.

Went out yesterday afternoon around slack. Fished along Pender Bluffs for a few hours and didn't catch anything. There were a few boats around and we didn't see any action. Saw some small bait fish around the surface close to the wall but nothing on the sonar. I had all these dreams of catching sockeye this year but it doesn't seem likely based on other reports and my limited efforts... well at least not yet.

We did stop on the way back and catch a couple of nice lingcod so there will be fish for dinner.

Yah I actually pulled some records from 2010 to compare....Totally different story in numbers we are not getting much in JDF either in Sooke. I think as many said they b-lined for inside and then across.

SOCKEYE COMING DOWN INSIDE
As a kid (and i,m old) i grew up in Fishermen,s Cove.
When the socks came down the inside in big numbers like this yr. alot of the commie fishermen (like my dad) and those in Horseshoe bay and Gibsons would fish them along Popham island , Paisley island , Worlecom island.
With good results. Kept them out of the huge fleet off the river.
Maybe worth a try for those living close by. I,m away for a week but will try when i get home.

Fished inside side of active pass today from the azzcrack of dawn till 9:00. Couple of nice hits, but only got two to the boat, one shaker storing, and one 7 pound spring. RotTwd out geR but got most hits with gold Betsy with orange and green glow. Spoon.

Fished active again today 6-9am...bait jumping out of the water all around us making it look super promising...but aside from one solid hit and a little shaker we pulled nothing.

Beautiful day though, warm and sunny and awesome. There are worse ways to spend a morning...and being one of two boats in the pack is awesome!

Returned for a couple of hours tonight...beautiful night, bait fish jumping...but No. magic! Still
There is nothing like the galiano sunsets!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, another disappointing weekend fish capture wise. . . weather wise it was some fantastical days on the waves. Trolled Salamance from 0800 to 1400 on Saturday. Caught a little 2-3 pound pink (threw back) thirty seconds after putting the line down on a koho killer and that was the end of it. Thought we were gonna have some good things to come but that was it. Noticed plenty of boat fulls of jiggers all the way up and down Galiano and Mayne RCA's. These guys are gettin bold. Buzzed a couple of them and asked what was up. As soon as you get close they pull up the lines and wander off. Sunday saw a boat with 4-5 guys in it jigging right in between the old sea lion colony in the belle islets chain the big seal island rock not 20 feet away from the seals. Whats up with these guys?

Went out for lingcod today with a family friend and had a great time and learned a lot. Had some awesome action and we ended up having a monster strike that broke our rod...that was pretty cool! Couple other big boys that we wrestled up to the surface only to have them get away. Kids loved this so much more than salmon fishing. We did end up with a nice cabezon that we kept...first time I have ever seen one of these. All in all a cool day!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Observe, Record and Report (ORR)
Help to protect our Fisheries Resource

1-800-465-4336 or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186

An important goal of enforcement is the prevention of violations before damage is done. The watchful eyes of everyone can provide a strong deterrent to potential violators and stop offences before they happen. Poachers value your silence.
Observe

Some common violations are:

exceeding the daily limit
fishing in a closed area
using illegal gear
damage to fish habitat and pollution

Record

Carry a pencil and record your observations

Date, time and location (e.g.: nearest town, fishing location)
Identity or description of violators (e.g.: height, weight, hair colour)
Boat or vehicle description (e.g.: licence, colour, make)
Evidence at the scene
Action of violator(s)

Violations should be reported as soon as possible to:

DFO ORR phone line

1-800-465-4336

604-607-4186
(in Greater Vancouver)

The provincial Ministry of Environment has established a toll-free hotline, Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP), which allows you to report known or suspected poachers and polluters.

For any fish, wildlife or environmental offences in non-marine areas, please call:

Provincial RAPP line

1-877-952-RAPP (7277)

Back