Guest Etiquette and Gifts to Host

So let me get this straight you are willing to pay for all gas,bait,launch and I get to keep the fish too and I just have to show up? Can I be your friend!!!! PLEASE.......

I can respect that everyone has their own views and opinions on this subject matter. No right or wrong approach of course because its your boat and your rules and what each captain is comfortable with. While I don't necessarily find all examples here to makes sense that's just my own personal opinion. For example, why is a multi-day trip where everyone who has posted agrees the costs should be split up any different than taking the same person or group of people out 7-8 times a year or even much more for those who take the same guests out regularly? The costs over the year of taking the same person out or group of people out can easily exceed the costs of a 2-3 day out of town fishing trip. Another example I dont understand is the dinner example. If I was the only one who offered to invite my friends over for dinner time and time again and I did the prep, cooked and cleaned and never had the courtesy returned I dont think Id be sending out those invitations any longer. I assume the person who gave that example also as a courtesy gets invited by their friends over for dinner from time to time, which is perfectly fine because its reciprocated. It can't be reciprocated if your guests don't also own a boat. I guess for me it boils down to respecting your friends and treating others the way you would like to be treated. For me, I would never be comfortable going on a friend boat and not contributing to cover their costs or somehow showing appreciation. It doesn't have to be money... Perhaps I have a skill or a trade... If I was a mechanic i could work on their car, boat etc.. If I was a gardener I'd do some work on their yard. So it's not just about the money but rather the attitude and manner in which the guests react to being taken out. Once again, for those who I take out 1 time because they've never been fishing or on a boat I would never accept money. I am talking about regular guests and fishing buddies.

I can respect that everyone has their own views and opinions on this subject matter. No right or wrong approach of course because its your boat and your rules and what each captain is comfortable with. While I don't necessarily find all examples here to makes sense that's just my own personal opinion. For example, why is a multi-day trip where everyone who has posted agrees the costs should be split up any different than taking the same person or group of people out 7-8 times a year or even much more for those who take the same guests out regularly?

Probably the same reason why car salesmen want to talk about monthly payments and not about lump sums lol

A multi day/westcoast trip is different because now we are talking about $700 just on ferry costs alone, $1000 easily on lodging alone plus food booze etc. If I take someone out from my house locally ,the expense is completely different and very minimal

So let me get this straight you are willing to pay for all gas,bait,launch and I get to keep the fish too and I just have to show up? Can I be your friend!!!! PLEASE.......

Not exactly Wolf. In a precious post I had noted that the friends I take out pay for the launch. For salmon I very seldom use bait so if they want bait they can buy their own. Same goes for their lunch.

I usually only take out one guy at a time and except for one guy they bring their own gear unless we are halibut fishing. I give them one side of the boat and I take the other. They fish deep/shallow,,however they want. They can keep what they catch, except for halibut where we each get 50% no matter who catches it. If they use and lose my gear my expectation is that they would replace it. Not a problem so far.

All have offered to pay for fuel but I don't take it. I also know if I called and asked for help with anything they would be there no problem.

I only go fishing when I personally want to go so my expenses will be there with or without them and that's how I like it. I fell no obligation to either one of them if or when I choose to fish alone. It is just what works for me and I can appreciate that not everyone feels the same. Also my fuel cost for the day is certainly a lot less than many boats on the water. But I do get it when folks talk about being taken advantage of,,,been there and done that with hunting..

I can’t believe in that video that they are legally allowed to take both claws from a crab and throw it back

Different type of regulations. Those Stone crabs have huge claws. Based on functionality due to their shape, I don't believe they use them the same way dungenous crabs use them. dungenous crabs have pointed and narrow tipped claws used for self defense and to tear and pick meat apart. Doesn't seem like those Stone crabs use them for the same purpose. I assume they grow back just as fast if not faster than dungenous.

Well maybe im different I always contribute as I know how much things cost i feel privileged to be asked as I dont want to be "that guy"
If im invited to a friends house we always bring some flowers and good bottle of wine as they are hosting us and someone has put in alot of effort for me and wife to enjoy its called common courtesy, unfortunately the world is getting further and further away from it.

If i go on someones boat (which isnt often) i always pay the fuel bill and ALWAYS have lots of snacks especially my pepperoni on smokies and always lunch its only fair.

Wolf you and me are the same, when I read fish camps post about the roast, first made me hungry for a nice prime rib, and second I always bring something whether it be flower, wine, appetizers or desert. Never show up empty handed. Same as a boat I’m note expected to change the oil or spark plugs.

Different type of regulations. Those Stone crabs have huge claws. Based on functionality due to their shape, I don't believe they use them the same way dungenous crabs use them. dungenous crabs have pointed and narrow tipped claws used for self defense and to tear and pick meat apart. Doesn't seem like those Stone crabs use them for the same purpose. I assume they grow back just as fast if not faster than dungenous.

They seem rather similar to our BC Red Rock Crabs with their very large, heavy crusher claws. I notice both species have the black claw tips. We have caught some very large Red Rocks. We don't use the grab both claws method they do, but then we don't break off a claw. We just grab them in the center of the back just on the edge of the shell so they cannot reach your fingers with the claws. I am more careful with the Red Rocks as those big claws look to me like the could do real damage. Anyone ever been pinched by a big Red Rock Crab? Been nipped a time or two by the Dungies and they will cut you with their sharp claws but don't seem to have the power to bruise or break bones. Once had a large Dungie I was holding a little close to my chest to measure reach over and draw a little blood, and it just missed my nipple by about a 16th of an inch. My fishing buddy got a chuckle out of it.

Last edited:
TOTALLY but you also shouldnt HAVE to ask your buddies to chip in ..should be a give in... I have the fuel and the bait and the gear I pay for the moorage and and insurance, if you show up and you take 100 bucks worth of fish& crab home (or more) and you dont give me something ....well you WILL not be asked again. I have one buddy when he shows up as soon as he walks on boat he has a envelope with a 50 buck bill he tosses on dash and he brings me lunch and snacks and other things , Trust me I dont need more useless gear I have plenty. We have just taken you out for a day some never get to experience, respect what the captain has done for you it takes alot of time to prep WAY before the end result its a privilege to go.

old saying I love "THIS BOAT RUNS ON GAS NOT FRIENDSHIP"

And there are some whose etiquette is a selfish one-way street. I was invited to go fishing several times with a buddy. To put it in perspective, I always bought lunch, munchies, bait, gave him cash $40-50 a pop, replaced lost/broken equipment, drove to and from Sooke in my car, helped with off-season tasks and filled his gas tank several times. I also smoked some of his catch on my smoker. When we each caught fish, we kept our own catch. When I was skunked a couple of times, I never expected nor asked him to share his catch with me; he didn't even offer. One day, I caught a 28-pounder while my buddy got skunked (he lost two fish). It was the only fish we landed that day. When we got to shore I offered to split my fish with him, but he demanded that I give him the whole fish because it was caught on his boat!!! Again I offered to share instead, and give him half my fish. He insisted he wanted the whole fish. No dice, I said, and I kept the fish. It was the first time in 20 years I experienced such an attitude! That was last time I went fishing with him...!

And there are some whose etiquette is a selfish one-way street. I was invited to go fishing several times with a buddy. To put it in perspective, I always bought lunch, munchies, bait, gave him cash $40-50 a pop, replaced lost/broken equipment, drove to and from Sooke in my car, helped with off-season tasks and filled his gas tank several times. I also smoked some of his catch on my smoker. When we each caught fish, we kept our own catch. When I was skunked a couple of times, I never expected nor asked him to share his catch with me; he didn't even offer. One day, I caught a 28-pounder while my buddy got skunked (he lost two fish). It was the only fish we landed that day. When we got to shore I offered to split my fish with him, but he demanded that I give him the whole fish because it was caught on his boat!!! Again I offered to share instead, and give him half my fish. He insisted he wanted the whole fish. No dice, I said, and I kept the fish. It was the first time in 20 years I experienced such an attitude! That was last time I went fishing with him...!
I can guarantee there's always a back story to these interactions. Maybe you were talking too much that day. Maybe he thinks/knows you're sleeping with his wife. Maybe that was his evil twin brother and you just outed him. Intriguing...

I don’t like people helping to clean up. I have my routine and when I get help it messes me up. Lol

I agree, and frankly, after a long day fishing I'm sick of their company.

As for sharing costs, I wouldn't take anything from a guest unless this was an every weekend fish partner thing.

I can guarantee there's always a back story to these interactions. Maybe you were talking too much that day. Maybe he thinks/knows you're sleeping with his wife. Maybe that was his evil twin brother and you just outed him. Intriguing...
Other friends I've gone out with fishing, we always split the catch 50-50, and split it even when one us got skunked! This bloke never even suggested a split! I feel sad for him...!

Three of us fish an occasional weekend out of Poett Nook on a buddy's boat. We've been doing this for several years. We split the groceries, buy our own beer, make sure the boat is cleaned up and share the fish, no matter who caught what. We replace any lost gear. But the crew always buys the fuel for the boat. Seems to work. The skipper is happy.

Back