Guest Etiquette and Gifts to Host

With gear going missing no big deal except for lost cannon balls. Newbies get a couple of breaks
I always remember what my dad would say though "you lose it or break it you own it and replace it" amazing how quickly you learn NOT to **** up.. thats the problem now these days there isnt alot of accountability in society. you do something stupid or wrong simple blame it on something generic.......

I always remember what my dad would say though "you lose it or break it you own it and replace it" amazing how quickly you learn NOT to **** up.. thats the problem now these days there isnt alot of accountability in society. you do something stupid or wrong simple blame it on something generic.......
So true in my day as well. It's amazing though when a cannon ball goes missing how much more the crew pays attention. Especially the unfortunate guy at the helm sleeping rather than keeping an eye on the sounder or steering us into the wild blue yonder.lol.

Last edited:
So true in my day as well. It's amazing though when a cannon ball goes missing how much more the crew pays attention. Especially the unfortunate guy at the helm sleeping rather than keeping an eye on the sounder or steering us into the wild blue yonder.lol

Eddddiiee :) :)

I never ask people out fishing with an expectation of being reimbursed. Most people willingly help out with expenses or its people who I also fish off their boats too. If someone doesnt contribute or is a Pain in the butt in any way... They dont get asked back. So far I've been pretty lucky ;-)

GoodDays Greg

I mostly bring family and friends so I don't really need/ask for anything. If someone shows up with breakfast sandwiches and a case of lucky that's how it should be. If we were doing an all day run for prawns and salmon or not a usual guest I'll accept some cash if they offer.

I mostly bring family and friends so I don't really need/ask for anything. If someone shows up with breakfast sandwiches and a case of lucky that's how it should be. If we were doing an all day run for prawns and salmon or not a usual guest I'll accept some cash if they offer.

Even if it's family or friends, if they are frequent on guests in your boat do they not offer to help out on any expenses? And if/when they do offer do you accept? If I didnt own a boat and a friend or family member took me out regularly and I got a share in the catch, I would feel extremely uncomfortable f I didn't pitch it. I would insist and if they won't accept I would leave it on their counter when thry are not looking so they have no choice. I was brought up this way. I find it strange that there is a different perspective to how this scenario is viewed. If I go on a weekend trip with my sister or brother or friends, we always split the costs of accommodations if we are renting a cabin or a chalet. If we order in food for everyone, everyone pays their share. If we go with friends or family to a concert or a comedy show or to dinner, everyone pays for their own expenses. Ok, there are times when I pay for my buddies dinner but the next time he pays and we are squared. If your friends and family don't own boats them taking you out is never an option. If everyone is going on an adventure or an outting and it happens to cost money, no one is ever left paying for everyone else's share. Why is owning a boat and the high costs of running it any different? Of course each person is entitled to do what they feel comfortable with and to each their own but I find it strange that there is a different standard or outlook when it comes to boating and costs related to boating.

Last edited:
Even if it's family or friends, if they are frequent on guests in your boat do they not offer to help out on any expenses?

I had a buddy who I took out regularly over the course of about 10 years.
He brought lunch and snacks and replaced any gear he lost.
I covered the rest and we split the catch 50/50
One day I was out fishing by myself and he called and texted a number of times asking why
I hadn't asked him to go.
He then proceeded to ream me out and let me know I was a lousy friend.
We don't fish together anymore.

Last edited:
Even if it's family or friends, if they are frequent on guests in your boat do they not offer to help out on any expenses? And if/when they do offer do you accept? If I didnt own a boat and a friend or family member took me out regularly and I got a share in the catch, I would feel extremely uncomfortable f I didn't pitch it. I would insist and if they won't accept I would leave it on their counter when thry are not looking so they have no choice. I was brought up this way. I find it strange that there is a different perspective to how this scenario is viewed. If I go on a weekend trip with my sister or brother or friends, we always split the costs of accommodations if we are renting a cabin or a chalet. If we order in food for everyone, everyone pays their share. This is sitting of costs is also very common with just about everyone I know. If everyone is going on an adventure or an outting and it happens to cost money, no one is ever left paying for everyone else's share. Why is owning a boat and the high costs of running it any different?

Everyone's situation is different but when someone comes aboard I've invited them to be my guest. Boating is something I like to do and I like for others to share in my hobby. I normally politely decline most offers. That is not to say my brother didn't fill my 120 gallon tank on our trip to the west coast and my dad is a frequent guest enjoys buying things for the boat rather than paying for a couple liters. Another friend owns a Grady so we exchange nothing other than who's boat are we taking. Others don't have the opportunity (aka money) to buy an expensive boat so it is a special day for them.

I have gone through the friends of friends and those who eat my butt because those around us are catching and we are not. I take friends of mine only now. I tell them the split if I know they are able before they show up. I require respect for the boat, the fishery and each other. I am old and it took a long time but I am very happy now with these simple requirements. I will add that having skin in the game adjusts enthusiasm. I also do not ask those who previously (more than once) get too **** faced to get up and go fishing

Last edited:
I also do not ask those who previously (more than once) get too **** faced to get up and go fishing

TOTALLY agree when I have a much need day off I do not want any clown to show up that way or worse get shitterd on the boat. I look at it this way my boat is a extension of what I call a" home" so please RESPECT it as such, If the captain say "please dont do that" he is saying it for a reason he knows the boat better then you has worked on it more then you knows..... if you dont like it well im pretty sure he wont mind you never coming back,
It used to bug me way more in my younger years when we didnt get fish but its fishing there is no "guarantees" with fishing ,Ive had clients ask well if we dont get a limit do we get a reduced rate ... I chuckle a bit and then say ok here the deal if I if do get you a limit will you pay me double as I worked so hard???? Im sure you all know what the answer always is..... LOL LOL

I appreciate everyone taking the time to post a response

Like everything else in life, it boils down to the "Golden Rule"

Here's to a bountiful, healthy and safe 2020 season, tight lines everyone

My dad said it to me one day, if you want to know a true friend take him camping fishing or hunting. If they help out to get ready help out around camp or the boat and do their fair share and pay for expenses then they are going to be a good friend.
I have taken two friends out prawning where I don’t pay anything (day trip) one guy pays the fuel the other pays for lunch. I have tried to pay “ nope, your boat, your gear, your maintenance” and then we split the catch three ways.
And then there is my wife’s friend and her husband took them out fishing, I paid for everything bait fuel etc. He grabbed the rod with fish on lost it ( he said he fished a bit, nope) then the second fish he lands, it was a miracle, so then we go home. I was cleaning the boat and gear, and his fish, and he was to busy playing with my dog in the back yard, good thing his wife was really good looking. First and last time they went fishing. About two years later she asked my wife why they haven’t gone on the boat again. My wife politely tells her the deal. There is an old saying fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.
I’m so glad my family loves to fish and are grown up enough to enjoy. Then my boy (age 11) loves cleaning and water. We put the gear away together flush the motors, then he always says dad go do something else I’ll clean the boat. He does an ok job but it’s the thought that counts.

just last week i hosted a friend for three days, was expecting the card to come out for gas or the ferry ride home... nope..
got back to drop him off and he runs in and comes out to hand me a bag of home grown...

VOTED NEVER TO BE IN MY BOAT AGAIN.

it was like hosting a teenager, no cooking, cleaning, no help., wifi addicted . not a clue,.. i am sure it has happened to many of you.
i just add them to the no go list.

when i do a friend or buddy trip and they want to bring someone i find it the hardest, so i lay out the expectation for my bud to pass on..
some appreciate the expectation, being part of the team etc, others reply they cant make it. fixed.

I agree with most comments on here however my father in-law told me before I purchased my first boat that if your expecting your guests/friends to pay for fuel etc then you can’t afford to own a boat.... I don’t expect people to pay for fuel etc if I take them out fishing once in awhile. I get more enjoyment watching them catch fish and what goes along with it. Planning multi day trips/westcoast trips with buddies is completely different, in my opinion it should be a even split between everyone. Fishing is a very expensive hobby and there are more and more people these days that can’t afford to experience the saltwater side of it. I used to fish regularly with a buddy who also owns a boat and we just used to switch back and forth who’s boat we took unfortunately he moved back to the island. Sure the gesture of launch fee or fuel money is nice but I don’t think it should always be expected or determine if you ever invite a person ever again or if they are a friend. I’ve had lots of other things friends help out/favours when you need or ask , so in my books it all works out in the end. Anyways just my opinion

Like what you said fishin solo .A bit of perspective here would be ,if i invited a few friends over for a AAA rib roast surf n turf dinner with all the fixings would I expect my guests to do the dishes ,mop the floor ,clean the bathroom before and after ,pay for the roast and seafood ,charcoal ,propane,aluminumfoil ,hydro .I just enjoy the company of others in my home/or camp and wished to share the experiance with others .lead by example and we won't have as many foolish people .

local fishing i'm going anyways with or without anyone so i don't want money, i really like my friends and i don't want to ruin it
over 20-50$ , if they wanna pay i'll say no 3 times, money just adds expectations, i'm out to relax with them and have a good time,

Road trips split split split and work harder then the guy thats taking you, watch him and fill in the gaps to make his life easier...HUGE!!!
he has a lot invested to make it happen, lol and don't sit down until he sits down...

Back