Guess some are betting on strong boat sales still

Trudeau's tariff's will help their cause. Any boat coming in from the US right now has a 10% tariff on it. How did he end up picking this industry? Its hard enough for these guys to make money without that kind of challenge...

Trudeau's tariff's will help their cause. Any boat coming in from the US right now has a 10% tariff on it. How did he end up picking this industry? Its hard enough for these guys to make money without that kind of challenge...

is that a u.s. tariff? trump?

The US economy is pretty strong at the moment and the consumers confidence indicators are all showing an upward trend. I bet these guys are expanding on the base of a projected demand growth in the US market. The low exchange rate of our CDN$ provides extra advantage for exporting businesses too.

The owner (was 2 but that’s a different story) started Bolton stainless over 30 years ago. Worked building boat parts out of his garage and built a good customer base. I can’t remember if it was before or after but around that time they started making small riveted hull aluminums and his(their) business grew from there. Now not only does he own Kingfisher, but he’s the top dog of the Four Winn’s group of boat manufactures. Over a dozen different boat brands I think. Or at least was about 5 years ago. Things may be different now though....he might own more haha. And not just in Canada. He owns company’s on both sides of the border. Both Bolton brothers are very down to earth people and may be business men but have always seemed to me to be honest and forthright people who care about their community and have always greeted me (and other trades people) with a smile and a handshake.

the cdn tariffs on american aluminum boats are one of many retaliatory tariffs put on as a response to trumps 10% tariffs on cdn aluminum and steel. the thinking and hope is that once the new trade agreement passes and takes effect that the americans will withdraw those tariffs, if they do obviously canada will follow and the tariffs on american alum boats will disappear also.

It's my understanding that the tariff is on all boats coming from the US and this is a Trudeau initiative. Trump has accelerated the economy in the US and we are falling behind. Honestly though with the change to the US Congress, I can't see them giving Trump a win and therefore the new NAFTA will not go forward, then you'll see him retaliate and just cancel NAFTA altogether and around we go...anyway, these tariffs are going nowhere anytime soon.

Are those tariffs just on new alu boats coming up from the US or also on used boats? Someone know?

The tariff is applied to all US made boats, aluminum and fibreglass, new and used being imported to Canada. This tariff, along with tariffs on many other goods were implemented by Canada in retaliation for the tariffs on steel and aluminum that Donald Trump implemented as part of his trade war tactics.

The tariff is applied to all US made boats, aluminum and fibreglass, new and used being imported to Canada. This tariff, along with tariffs on many other goods were implemented by Canada in retaliation for the tariffs on steel and aluminum that Donald Trump implemented as part of his trade war tactics.

@bigbruce is correct. These duties were implemented in response to tariffs that Trump put in place against our steel and aluminum. It is a response in reaction to trade restrictions put in place by Trump. As soon as Trump drops the steel and aluminum tariffs you should see us drop the USA made boat import duty.

Last edited:
All US built boats are subject to a 10% tariff imposed by the Canadian government
i thought it was any u.s. built boat leaving u.s. was tariffed by trump!

trudeau ,, lost another pissing contest lol,,face palm.

i thought it was any u.s. built boat leaving u.s. was tariffed by trump!

trudeau ,, lost another pissing contest lol,,face palm.
No, Trump put the tariffs on steel and aluminum first. Canada, along with many other nations around the world implemented retaliated by putting tariffs on US made goods with the intent to do the same kind of economic harm to US manufacturers that Trump's tariffs did to Canadian (and other Nations') steel and aluminum producers. That's what tariffs and trade wars are all about. Trump started it. The Canadian Government (and other Governments) did what they had to do in retaliation.

Canada refused to stop facilitating the dumping of Chinese metals into the US so we had our exemption revoked. Our PM retaliated instead of fixing the problem.

Back