Growing bacon...

End of week 3. Gone through around 280 pounds of feed so far. I seem to have minimal feed waste once I build the trough feeder. When small, the saucer pans worked good, after week 2, they would dig all the feed out of the saucers then step in it and then try to eat off the ground.
Estimating around 35-40 lbs based on a math equation from different measurements. That was fun.
Hoping to expand the pen this week if I can get panels, rolling closures here with C-19.

View attachment 51437
how do it rotate this pic? I tried on my phone and then ended up to large?
Sometimes you have to select the photo out of gallery instead of files. On my Samsung at least.

Reactions: NDT
Looks to me like you have a pretty good sized pen going on there. Pigs don’t need a lot of space really, they aren’t grazers. Once you start cutting grass around the yard especially the longer grass from the weed eater rake it up and throw it in the pen for them they love fresh greens.

Where are you located?

Over the last few years, I’ve gotten numerous lbs of bacon, hams and sausages from Roy. All excellent flavor , not much fat, not to salty and the bonus for us is no indigestion due to the spices. His shop is spotless and he takes health standards high when processing anything.

He is really good with a knife and knows how to get the most from all his butchering in the shortest period of time.

If I take a pound of Roy’s bacon and bake it at 325 deg. I always get double the meat than most store purchased bacon and the bacon it tender, with a mild smoke flavor.

You have to contact him and try some of his creations. You won’t go wrong with eating his pig creations.

Couldn’t resist picking up 2 Duroc X weaner pigs to go with the Berkshires. Berkshire’s are growing fast. It was alittle exciting introducing the durocs into the pen. Took a few days and now they all get along. My main reason is to compare the two breeds meat and fat content. Their pen will double in size once the store gets a restock, hog panels have been delayed since the start of the covid virus. As you can see in the bottom of the pic, they are routing up all the rock as I was hoping for.

a E02B1C02-E48D-4E05-875D-184E6041097F.jpeg

Slaughtered first to Berkshire’s today. 241 and 247 on the scale whole. In the cooler chilling for a couple days, then we’ll butcher Monday/Tuesday. Looking forward to bbq’d chops and making bacon/sausage. I’ll be digging up some of the bacon recipes on this site to try out. If you have any favourite you would like to share, post here or PM me. My wife bought me the same smoker as raincity So time to take it for its maiden voyage.

Looks darn good NDT, marbling looks perfect for my liking. I think you guys nailed it with the feeding process.

Thats looks great I have probably butchered close to 200 hogs now from local farmers here in sooke and ill say you are bang on the feed what you want ...
It really is a guessing game when it comes to feeding hogs there is 2 layers of fat on a hog the one close to the skin and the inner you want both to be about a 1/2 inch on both.
Too skinny and its a ***** to get close when taking rind off , I had some hogs last year that were so thin it was a nightmare to work with she was trying to keep them "lean" and trying to save money on feed end result was VERY lean pork no fat and bacon was very thin... really not even worth making....so word of advice dont be afraid to over feed them your butcher will love you... LOL

Thanks guys, went well for the first round. I will make the bacon and hams one at a time until I find what we like. I researched a recipe @wolf posted a while back. Will try it once elk season is done.
I rendered the fat for lard last night. I think it turned out ok. It’s white lol
5F60D112-7213-484A-8AAB-EE960D03D836.jpeg

I do the same with the fat , makes the best pastry going bud and I use in general cooking as well make some yorkshires with it for the heated fat in pan...

So jealous....

I do the same with the fat , makes the best pastry going bud and I use in general cooking as well make some yorkshires with it for the heated fat in pan...
Oh man I bet that would fry up some delicious fried chicken

I think you have a future in selling that delicious looking pork and lard! I'd be first on the list if you decide to. The fellow we get ours from sells out so quick and has a list now so long he can never fill the orders. Home farmed foods are getting more and more popular as they very well should be.

I think you have a future in selling that delicious looking pork and lard! I'd be first on the list if you decide to. The fellow we get ours from sells out so quick and has a list now so long he can never fill the orders. Home farmed foods are getting more and more popular as they very well should be.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve been in the farm equipment industry for almost 15 years now. All my feed, straw and hay is bought farm direct.
I will be expanding the pig pen to a 1/2 acre this winter. I meet with the breeder reserving berkshire piglets this weekend for February.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve been in the farm equipment industry for almost 15 years now. All my feed, straw and hay is bought farm direct.
I will be expanding the pig pen to a 1/2 acre this winter. I meet with the breeder reserving berkshire piglets this weekend for February.
Did you happen to keep track of costs on feed etc? I'd be interested to know what goes into one. Much like the salmon most of us eat maybe it's not something you want to know? ;)
This really does seem like a lot of fun though.

Did you happen to keep track of costs on feed etc? I'd be interested to know what goes into one. Much like the salmon most of us eat maybe it's not something you want to know? ;)
This really does seem like a lot of fun though.
Yes, I did, just need to add it all up and see this weekend.

Such a good question.
Salmon is so expensive in the store, until you add up the costs you incur to catch some!!
I know that there is more to it than that, but it is still interesting to know.

Basically what my buddies say if you use nothing but feed 1 hog will eat approx 12 bags of feed , now if you were to get into the grocery store program that you get the old veggies ,bread,milk ,yogurt etc for free your "winning" and trust me those piggys taste wonderful!!!!! And i will add once you have farm raised pork the **** you get in store doesnt even compare so its really a mute question . Farm is more moist, better flavor, better marbling etc ... here is some chops i made from the last farm pig I got from a farmer in mechosin I get
83184634_1253760954809840_1314294094616330240_n.jpg

Last edited:
Basically what my buddies say if you use nothing but feed 1 hog will eat approx 12 bags of feed , now if you were to get into the grocery store program that you get the old veggies ,bread,milk ,yogurt etc for free your "winning" and trust me those piggys taste wonderful!!!!! And i will add once you have farm raised pork the **** you get in store doesnt even compare so its really a mute question . Farm is more moist, better flavor, better marbling etc ... here is some chops i made from the last farm pig I got from a farmer in mechosin I get
83184634_1253760954809840_1314294094616330240_n.jpg
Mmmmmmn. I love to score that nice fat layer then slow cook them for a while before flaming them on charcoal. The fat turns into pure joy.

Back