Greenpeace defends salmon farming

Barbender

In an article on FIS.com, "Greenpeace founder defends shrimp, salmon farming", Patrick Moore (Greenpeace founder, former salmon farmer and now Chairman and Chief Scientist at Greenspirit Strategies Ltd.) talks about the importance of aquaculture for providing healthy food that takes pressure off of wild stocks.

Moore provides context to concerns about antibiotic use in salmon farming stating "Whereas these [traditional food animal] livestock are on low-dose antibiotics for more than 50 per cent of their lives, only 3 per cent of salmon feed is medicated. Many salmon farms are now completely antibiotic-free and some are able to qualify for 'organic' status."

He responds to the issue of waste production with "Activists compare salmon farms to cities of 500,000 people dumping their raw sewage into the environment. The primary reason for concern about untreated human waste is disease transfer, not the waste itself. Once human waste is treated and sterilized it is a perfectly good fertilizer, and fish waste is no different except that there are no diseases that can be transmitted from fish to people."

The article finishes with a statement by Moore about the vast negative coverage of aquaculture and his wish to provide a more positive vision as "the negative side already has way too much airtime."

why must you post completely false titles like that? Green peace DOES NOT support fish farms.

One of the founders of green peace, who hasn't been a member since 1986 and OWNS a fish farm in quatsino sound is supporting fish farms.

If I was a moderator and you continued to post false information I would suspend your account.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

-"......talks about the importance of aquaculture for providing healthy food that takes pressure off of wild stocks."

Ya okay. What do farmed fish eat...wild fish. That's a dumb statement if i ever heard one.

-"Many salmon farms are now completely antibiotic-free and some are able to qualify for 'organic' status."

This has been talked about here before. Isn't the recommendation not to eat more than 1 farmed salmon per month because of all the chemicals and crap in them , or something like that? I am safe, cause i don't eat any.

-" and fish waste is no different except that there are no diseases that can be transmitted from fish to people."

isn't the concern fish to fish?

This article is a load of BS.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

why must you post completely false titles like that? Green peace DOES NOT support fish farms.

One of the founders of green peace, who hasn't been a member since 1986 and OWNS a fish farm in quatsino sound is supporting fish farms.

If I was a moderator and you continued to post false information I would suspend your account.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!
X2
Not only is he "NOT" a member of Green Peace... Green Peace has actually publicly disputed many of his findings and also has distanced themselves from him! Otherwords... Green Peace doesn't want anything to do with Patrick Moore and his "Greenspirit Strategies"

They also don't consider him a co-founder, "He is sometimes referred to as co-founder though this is disputed by the current Greenpeace organization and those it acknowledges as founders."

Hey Barbender pretty sleezy attempt in your post title to mislead people about Greenpeace's stand on fish farming. I don't know whether it is a poor attempt at twisted humour or you are willing to manipulate anything to try to justify your point of view? You tell us.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Back