Gravlax

adanac

Here is the recipie that was requested in the what’s for dinner thread-

- Mix equal parts salt and sugar plus 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper - need enough to completely cover the filet - 1 to 1.5 cups each

- Fresh dill - enough to cover the bottom, middle and top of the filets

1. Use Sockeye for best results but Coho or Spring will work fine

2. Trim fillet and remove pin bones - if using one filet cut in 2 equal pieces or use both sides if using a whole fish

3. Use a glass dish that will fit the the piece with sides at least 1" high

4. Layer the dish with cling wrap - the fish needs to be completely wrapped so be sure to use enough

5. Pour salt/sugar mix on the bottom of the dish (at least 1/4 inch) layer fresh dill and place one filet skin side down. Place dill on the top of the filet and cover with the salt sugar mixture and put the second filet on top - skin side up - (meat to meat like a sandwich). Finish by placing dill and remaining mixture on top completely covering the filet

6. Wrap entire filet sandwich style in cling wrap and refrigerate for 48 hours - flipping after 24 hours. Larger filets I will weigh down with a plate and a brick or another heavy dish

7. Wash in fresh water and slice

The end result should yield firm, yet silky thin slices of fish, somewhere between the texture of cold smoked and high quality sashimi, with a very clean taste with a hint of dill and salt . Can store for up to two weeks of wrapped in cling wrap. We like to eat ours on toasted rye with cream cheese, thin sliced shallot,capers , lots of cracked pepper and lemon. Also great on a salad . Enjoy

Thanks for the recipe. Do you freeze the salmon first and then thaw to make this?

Thanks for the recipe. Do you freeze the salmon first and then thaw to make this?
I think you want to freeze any fish as soon as possible if you want to use it as sashimi. Kills bacteria or whatever is in the fish the same way as cooking it. I’m no expert but I think all sushi is frozen ASAP

I use this recipe that Reeltime posted back in 2014. Have always had compliments on it.
I also cold smoke it for 2-3 hours with alder

Many thanks to Reeltime for this recipe:

Gravlax recipe

*Fillet ,sprinkle pickling salt ,very little pepper , very light sprinkle of brown suger

*Lemon zest , dill

*Add more pickling salt

*Triple wrap fillets and poke holes with a tooth pick on both sides of the saran to let the moisture out .

*Put something on top to put pressure on the fish to squeeze the moisture out .(3-4 bricks heavy )

*Three days in the fridge flip each day ... Third day rinse and enjoy, slice thin or vacuum seal for christmas :D . iv'e been doing this recipe for awhile it's a hit at party's .

**** Use only your freshest fish as if it is a bit old and fishy smelling it won't be tasty ****

I usually take out a few whole salmon that have been caught with in 3 months and Gravlax them

and vacuum seal portioned fillets and it keeps a lot longer in the freezer no fishy taste .

* roughly 8 lb salmon filleted

* 1 cup pickling salt

* 1/4 cup brown sugar

* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

* enough dill to cover fish

* zest of 1 lemon

* All ingredients were sprinkled on separately.

* If fish are over 14-15 lbs i would loin it so the curing will be even .

* So just a good coating of salt is needed on what ever size of fish you take out and all other ingredients bump up as needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014

Here is the recipie that was requested in the what’s for dinner thread-

- Mix equal parts salt and sugar plus 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper - need enough to completely cover the filet - 1 to 1.5 cups each

- Fresh dill - enough to cover the bottom, middle and top of the filets

1. Use Sockeye for best results but Coho or Spring will work fine

2. Trim fillet and remove pin bones - if using one filet cut in 2 equal pieces or use both sides if using a whole fish

3. Use a glass dish that will fit the the piece with sides at least 1" high

4. Layer the dish with cling wrap - the fish needs to be completely wrapped so be sure to use enough

5. Pour salt/sugar mix on the bottom of the dish (at least 1/4 inch) layer fresh dill and place one filet skin side down. Place dill on the top of the filet and cover with the salt sugar mixture and put the second filet on top - skin side up - (meat to meat like a sandwich). Finish by placing dill and remaining mixture on top completely covering the filet

6. Wrap entire filet sandwich style in cling wrap and refrigerate for 48 hours - flipping after 24 hours. Larger filets I will weigh down with a plate and a brick or another heavy dish

7. Wash in fresh water and slice

The end result should yield firm, yet silky thin slices of fish, somewhere between the texture of cold smoked and high quality sashimi, with a very clean taste with a hint of dill and salt . Can store for up to two weeks of wrapped in cling wrap. We like to eat ours on toasted rye with cream cheese, thin sliced shallot,capers , lots of cracked pepper and lemon. Also great on a salad . Enjoy
I tried it with Sockeye and it is very good. Thanks again

Back