grady white pilot house project

I am soo happy with the way it turned out. Just itching to get out and fish it all summer long. counting down the days untill I get my windows is like waiting for christmas when I was 10 years old!

Thanks for all of the kind words guys, feel free to say hello if you see us out on the water. The boat is kept in west van so we all all over the straight and up howe sound.

Wow, looks even better in the water, that black hull is sooooo cool
betcha there wont be any seals following you around lol,
(note to self, don't fish beside the Grady with the black hull)

Wow does that look great you angles and line match up well with the hull. I would bet you spent some time looking and thing of your angles before building, great job!

I have to say: VERY SIC!
S= So
I= Incredibly
C= COOL!
Very good job man, you guys nailed it, that boat looks really great!
Once you guys have the windows in and buttoned up, it would be neat to see the Before and After photos side by side.
You guys should be proud, that is some top shelf work. Enjoy!!
Keep your lines tight, your hooks sharp, and your decks bloody!

Well I thought I would update this thread as we finally have to boat back in the water. I will post some pics up for you guys when I get home tonight. We traded up on the power to a 300HP merc verado and hung a 17 pitch prop off of her. The final result is 50.5 mph with no chine walk while at it.

Here are some of my performance numbers just fyi.....I love my verado!!!

@4100 RPM, 28 MPH we burn 9.5 USGPH
@34 MPH we burn 12.4 USGPH
@6370 RPM, 50.5 MPH we burn 29.5 USGPH

overall we can get about 3 MPG as a respectable cruise. I couldn't be happier with the final results. The pilot house with the huge windows just makes the whole thing so comfortable.

very well done, Mike. A one of a kind, super functional Grady-"black". A real black sheep of the grady family. Congrats. You'll have other grady owners black with envy.

thanks for the great thread. I can't wait to see the upgraded photos with that 300 on her stern

Had this beauty roll into my neck of the woods last night...she's a real gem. If you haven't named it yet Mike, my suggestion, "She's Classy" cuz that thing is exactly that. The paint and modifications the guys did to this boat is really something else. A Grady like no other.

Great looking boat Mike. Nice photos Nick. She looks like a mini version of their larger flagship model. Very cool looking with the black hull and the Vrod hanging off the back. Congrats on a very well done project. Thanks for sharing.

FB beat me to it with the pics, Thanks Nick! Very happy with every part of her I don't think that I would ever own another boat without a pilot house. Thanks so much for all of the kind words guys just so stoked to be on the water again! Milbanke Sound Here we come. Here are a few more photos from dry land!

20130707_190439_1.jpg

20130707_190857_1.jpg

20130707_190908_1.jpg

20130707_191042.jpg

Just a couple of Windshield wipers and you're good to go all winter. Planning any kind of Pilot house heat? Espar Diesel or something akin to that?

Just a couple of Windshield wipers and you're good to go all winter. Planning any kind of Pilot house heat? Espar Diesel or something akin to that?

mikes used to open alu's on the west coast with just a lil windshield,,pilothouse is prolly pretty comfy already!!

Speaking from the experience of someone that has built his own hard top I can say you did an amazing job.........well done!
Its very hard to get functionality and looks in a build like that and you nailed it.
I can also completely sympathize with the hours of time invested.
Most home jobs look ........well.......like home jobs, but yours blends nicely.
I personally think the top should have been black like in your rendering but hey?
One day when I have the energy I will post up some pics of my build.

Getting the pilot house to look just right was a challenge but if it doesnt look like it was meant for the boat then it wouldn't be going on. The visibility out of the front windows is amazing, I can finally stand and see out the front. I really wanted to go black on the top but there were two reasons why we chose not to. The distortion temp for epoxy is below what the skin temperature could become while in direct with black paint and it would be a big hot box inside the pilot house for the crew. White was the safe bet for her. I WILL SAY IT AGAIN THE PILOT HOUSE WAS THE BEST MOD I HAVE EVER DONE TO A BOAT!!!!.......Adding the mercury verado to the back of her was the second best for sure. I am now in the final count down for my trip to Milbanke Sound.....can't wait!!!

have to say I think its better with the two tone - white upper and black hull. Adding a black pilot house would have made it look like a referree.... or maybe a killer whale ;)

Back