grady white 20ft adventure advice

morganic

Hi guys, after months of searching north america i've found my new boat.
It was used in pt. roberts to tow the kids around and never really been fished, but thats about to change. Its a 1995 grady white 20ft adventure with a 2000 yami 225 efi saltwater series(300 hrs) and a 2004 9.9 merc 4 sroke kicker.It has no electronics but a navman fish/depth that will have to go. I'm going to install a humminbir 788c a marine stereo and vhf setup.also 2 electric downriggers on swivel mounts.
I have a few questions for anyone familiar with the grady about
1. best place to mount riggers
2. where to mount fishfinder, vhf radio
3. ne tips tricks or advice to make this a fishing machine
4. what i can expect from this beauty of a boat
I will post a pic when i learn how
P.S. Pippen,now we'll really be fishin

these questions can only be answered when sitting in cockpit of said boat. Anything else is speculation.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Like IFL says

Best way is to look at cockpit. Try to post some pictures taken of the gunnels looking from the cockpit and the cockpit layout.
I am sure you will get some advice then if there is no one with the same boat posting.

That is actually a nice laid out boat! I looked at one closely a few years back! You can expect to catch fish, from that beauty of a boat! If you don’t, it won’t be the boats fault! I think I can give you some ideas and suggestions to think about?

Downrigger? You have seating - port & starboard fish box cushions, mount the downriggers just far enough back as to not interfere with anyone setting there or to interfere with your access to the walk around. You should also have (if I remember right) wiring channels under the gunwales, to make running the downrigger wires to the main bus fairly easy. I took my amidships rod holders out and mounted my downriggers there, but your rodholders might be too close to the fish boxes for that? Probably aft of them? The gunwales on a Grady are thick enough you don’t have to use a backing plates but, still not a bad idea. Do go out and get a small tube of 3M 5200 marine sealant and seal all those holes!

The fishfinder? I am not that big of a fan of Hummingbird. I think you can do better for the money and find a good good one, with an internal antenna? If using an external antenna, I would mount it on the port and be looking at the easiest place to run that antenna lead, before attaching or any holes? You can probably run it through the headliner – but, that can sometimes be a pain? The display itself, I would drill a small hole and use a good adjustable swivel mount on the port side of the console above the electronics box, letting it swivel above the dash. Remember while running the boat will be bouncing and vibrating, so make sure that is a “good” sturdy mounting system! But, putting it there, it can be seen standing at the back of the boat. The front of the electronics box should come out/off making it easy to wire/install?

VHF antenna, starboard side just infront of the helm. VHF radio itself… in the lockable electronics box? The electronics box should be large enough to also install the stereo, but I would still install that down below with a couple of external marine speakers, especially if it has CD/DVD. Something about changing a CD in the rain?

Have fun - THAT is a nice boat! :)

Thanks Charlie
IMG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/morganos/grady002.jpg[/IMG]
MG]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/morganos/grady004.jpg[/IMG]

very nice and looks so clean !love that it`s virgin to holes.

tight lines

You already have a VHF antenna mounted, am I wrong? I personally don't like where it is mounted, but why don't you use it?

send me an email if you have anything specific im runnung a larger grady and have seen it inside and out [:eek:)]

img3937n.jpg

Back