Grady 232 Repoding

Finally got the break in behind me this weekend .. Really like the Suzuki 350hp by far the best match with the new pod on my 232 I have had yet.. On plane around 4700 rpm and about 500 to 700 rmp better on cruising speed full fuel and me then the 300hp.. burns about 5 to 8 litres better on the burn :)

Attachments

• 20210524_113753.jpg
    20210524_113753.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 96
Finally got the break in behind me this weekend .. Really like the Suzuki 350hp by far the best match with the new pod on my 232 I have had yet.. On plane around 4700 rpm and about 500 to 700 rmp better on cruising speed full fuel and me then the 300hp.. burns about 5 to 8 litres better on the burn :)
how does the fuel economy compare to the 300hp?

I did conversion you are around 1.89 mpg? or is my math wrong. I have never used mi/L so my math could be wrong.

Better fuel economy but havent really tracked it as I need to run thru my tank first... same loads with the 300hp i would be sitting in around 53 to 55 litre ahr..

how does the fuel economy compare to the 300hp?

I did conversion you are around 1.89 mpg? or is my math wrong. I have never used mi/L so my math could be wrong.
I believe 3.786 Liters in a Gallon

48.5L/HR/3.786 = 12.81 GPH

27.5 MPH/12.81 GPH = 2.15 MPG

@Derby how do you like the pod in terms of balance of the boat and how she sits in the chuck?

@Derby how do you like the pod in terms of balance of the boat and how she sits in the chuck?
That is a US gallon. Canadian is 4.55L per gallon so 48.5/4.55 is 10.66 GPH and 2.58 MPG

Yes just doubled checked your numbers and 2.15 is correct. 3.78L per gal is the right conversion.
Getting over 2mpg is great for that size no doubt :)

I don't think it's getting 2.58 mi/gal. I believe you want to use US gal as we are talking MPG.
If you are Canadian you would use 4.55 litres per Imperial Gallon
If American you would use 3.79 litres per gallon as the US gallon is smaller
MPG is just how many US or Imperial gallons you use per mile and is really only important on how and where you purchase fuel. and what your fuel cost is.

So we are both right :)

If you are Canadian you would use 4.55 litres per Imperial Gallon
If American you would use 3.79 litres per gallon as the US gallon is smaller
MPG is just how many US or Imperial gallons you use per mile and is really only important on how and where you purchase fuel. and what your fuel cost is.

So we are both right :)
I see your point, but in NA it's common to use US gal for everything, not the imperial gallon. Look at the data for fuel use coming from any leading US boat manufacture it's all MPG (us gal).
Not saying you are wrong at all, but it gives the impression of an inflated MPG if using the imperial gallon conversion so it should be noted so everyone is talking apples to apples as we get lazy and call it "MPG" for both imperial and US gal. End of the day lots of different ways to illustrate the distance traveled per unit of fuel. Sounds like Derby likes using L/Mi and he likes that.

I have always been an MPG guy for boats, but it all works :)

As for the G2 those are good numbers. How much oil does it burn in 100 hours?

My Etec 130 Gen 1 delivers slightly better fuel mileage at higher rpm cruise. 4000-4500 = 3.8-4.0 mpg; 4500 - 5000 rpm = 4.0-4.2 mpg. I had generally attributed this to the exhaust valve that switches at around 4500 rpm to change shape of exhaust path and deliver more power from the 1.7L V4. The 300 Gen 2 that @Butcher Boy has doesn't have the exhaust valve though, but very sophisticated combustion chamber and direct injection. Impressive motors, but alas it would appear that the market has voted 'no' to two stroke despite excellent technology from BRP. A bit like Sony Betamax losing the videotape format war in the 80s even though it had better resolution.

My Etec 130 Gen 1 delivers slightly better fuel mileage at higher rpm cruise. 4000-4500 = 3.8-4.0 mpg; 4500 - 5000 rpm = 4.0-4.2 mpg. I had generally attributed this to the exhaust valve that switches at around 4500 rpm to change shape of exhaust path and deliver more power from the 1.7L V4. The 300 Gen 2 that @Butcher Boy has doesn't have the exhaust valve though, but very sophisticated combustion chamber and direct injection. Impressive motors, but alas it would appear that the market has voted 'no' to two stroke despite excellent technology from BRP. A bit like Sony Betamax losing the videotape format war in the 80s even though it had better resolution.
Great analogy with Betamax

I see your point, but in NA it's common to use US gal for everything, not the imperial gallon. Look at the data for fuel use coming from any leading US boat manufacture it's all MPG (us gal).
Not saying you are wrong at all, but it gives the impression of an inflated MPG if using the imperial gallon conversion so it should be noted so everyone is talking apples to apples as we get lazy and call it "MPG" for both imperial and US gal. End of the day lots of different ways to illustrate the distance traveled per unit of fuel. Sounds like Derby likes using L/Mi and he likes that.

I have always been an MPG guy for boats, but it all works :)

As for the G2 those are good numbers. How much oil does it burn in 100 hours?
Not sure but for 100 hours right around 1 1/2 gallons per 100 gallons of fuel.

Back