Grady 232 Repoding

Seems a bit vague but I get it grady gets a new pod. I'm uncertain if youre gonna hit Snyder levels of input at this rate tho haha

So in 2016 i was noticing the following on the back end of the boat and wasnt sure what was going on . So l look thing over and it all seemed good but in the fall of 2017 i pulled the drain plug of the pod and a pile of water drain out. I had noticed the motor and pod was sitting lower in the water a little need to jump out of the hole in the season. So in March started to pull stuff a part in the back of the boat to see what was up.. Ended up pulling the swim grid off to see the following ...
20180325_140940.jpg
20180325_141116.jpg
The pod had pulled off the transom.. lovely later i find out that this is common with the factory pods.. this would have been the end of the first full year of the repower with the 300 Suzuki on..

Last edited:
I was hoping you would jump in shawn.. heard lots of good things about the full pod...

so to finish it up...
20180325_171153.jpg

we got the tub into my friend Seans shop & Al got at it and did the reseal job ..
20180427_184950.jpg
20180427_192729.jpg
It was a bit of ***** getting all the old selent out of there ..
20180427_210403.jpg

The boat in the water May after repair :)
20180512_072819.jpg

I have had no problem with it since but one should look at the factory pods yearly as I have heard of this happening a fair bit :)

The orginal drain that the pod was goofie so i ended up putting a new flush system in it...I also put about 100 gill netfloats in the pod also :)

Just to clarify, Is the factory Grady pod not a fully welded sealed pod? Is the piece attached to the transom open and just sealed around the edges with 3m 5200? Or was the pod cracked somewhere?

The factory pod on mine was just just sealed around the edges then bolt on. Mine is the smaller single pod and the Sealant just failed.. A friend of mine had the larger pod on and had the same happen to his was a bigger job to get it done.
20180401_120235.jpg

The factory pod on mine was just just sealed around the edges then bolt on. Mine is the smaller single pod and the Sealant just failed.. A friend of mine had the larger pod on and had the same happen to his was a bigger job to get it done.
View attachment 58707

Gotcha. I have the same POD as you on my 2003 228G. I’ll recaulk it in the spring then. I’ve never heard of this issue before. Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I’ve never had water in it before. But who knows. Maybe it’s just a matter of time. Mine stays in dry stack 95% of the year so maybe that’s helping?

Gotcha. I have the same POD as you on my 2003 228G. I’ll recaulk it in the spring then. I’ve never heard of this issue before. Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I’ve never had water in it before. But who knows. Maybe it’s just a matter of time. Mine stays in dry stack 95% of the year so maybe that’s helping?
I had a 228 with the same pod and mine would fill with water as well. It was filled with some type of foam though so the amount of water was fairly small.

I have always like Grady's especially the 232. I never understood why they put that type of bracket on their boats and not a real pod and grid. Good to hear you are doing it right...it will be a nice upgrade.

Ya .. the tub is 1997 and i have had it for 11 season & love the boat :) its funny how Grady cheaped out on thing ! seem i always find something and i have to say..REALLY ? :)

Last edited:
Back