Gps/sounder options

Orion4x4

07EBE57E-D276-406E-AAF1-62B4F6B236E6.jpeg Now that the new boat is safely in my driveway I need to rig it now. Trying to decide weather I should just by a new transducer and cables for my Lowrance elite 5 and swap it over from the old boat or buy something newer. If I go new I’ll be looking for something in the $800 range. The new boats a 21’ trophy for an idea of space. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Buy a new one and keep the old one and network them together. Nice having to big screens instead of a small one the you have to spilt

really like the CHIRP technology - no matter your choice of sounder/transducer...

My buddy's 21 trophy has this plexiglass hatchcover for all the gauges and switches then another plexiglass hatch which lifts up allowing access to the cuddly door . He has two different units mounted ( not matching so not networked ). leaving little to no choice in mounting the unit right in his line of sight. Not ideal in my opinion. I ran the Elite 5 on my old boat and while it was a good package, the split screen is like looking at a watch screen. My new boat has an old but reliable unit, and I bought a suction cup phone holder for my iPhone 7 plus. I run my Navionics app on my phone and use the old units fish finder which still works well. When I get some more fu dis freed up I would like to purchase one unit in the 10 " variety

I had a thread going on this fairly recently... I had a good 7” garmin with chirp to begin with, which gives a great image, but no charts. I picked up a Samsung tablet and mount for under $300 combined and with navionics. Now I have a 7” fishfinder, a 10” map and an iPhone 8+ to boot. Screens galore!

It’s great now and I’m very pleased with the results, but if I could have a redo I would’ve just got a good 10 or 12” HDS from the start.

There is also a great deal on a new in the box garmin right now on the buy/sell/trade forum right now for well under half of the retail. I almost snagged it myself, but I just finished getting my other stuff all dialed in.

I picked up a Samsung tablet and mount for under $300 combined and with navionics. Now I have a 7” fishfinder, a 10” map and an iPhone 8+ to boot. Screens galore!\

This is the way to go for sure. I know a few guys who have tablets to add another screen without having to pay a fortune. I use my iPad every trip with my Navionics app for live mapping. Combined with the Vexilar SonarPhone you don't even need a traditional chartplotter and fish finder.

IMG_0007.jpg

Back