GPS Decision Humminbird or Raymarine

vangoalie

New to fishing and boating, purchased a Campion 185, now need to equip it. Deciding whether to keep a Raymarine A50d or a Humminbird 788ci HD for my boat, any thoughts? Humminbied seems easier to use but need to purchase the Navionics card, Raymarine seems more complicated. Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks

No experience with Raymarine, but had the H Bird 788ci HD and I really liked it. If I remember correctly it had a feature where you could programme 3 buttons and you could switch between the 3 modes at the push of the button. The only reason I switched to Lowrance was that I got a good deal going from a 5" HB screen to the 7" Lowrance screen. I used the same Navionics card in both units.

No experience with Raymarine, but had the H Bird 788ci HD and I really liked it. If I remember correctly it had a feature where you could programme 3 buttons and you could switch between the 3 modes at the push of the button. The only reason I switched to Lowrance was that I got a good deal going from a 5" HB screen to the 7" Lowrance screen. I used the same Navionics card in both units.

i love the helix 9 si ...go gen 2 10
and dont look back...and those are
a preset short cut feature...

ew to fishing and boating, purchased a Campion 185, now need to equip it. Deciding whether to keep a Raymarine A50d or a Humminbird 788ci HD for my boat, any thoughts? Humminbied seems easier to use but need to purchase the Navionics card, Raymarine seems more complicated. Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks

Really can't go wrong with either. Both are top brands for sure. With either you'll want a Navionics card to get the best mapping. I think price may be the best way to decide.

I have a Hummingbird because I won it.
At first I did not like as much as Lowrance but I hadn't used anything else.
Now I like the Hummingbird.
GPS has a boat showing direction I'm pointed and then has a large arrow that points off the boat image showing the direction you are actually going.
This works great for crew that is not familiar with how easy a boat gets pushed by currents and wind.
Screen is clear and everything seams to be user friendly.

+ on Humminbird Helix. I have the Helix 5 Gen2 GPS Downvision. Used it a few weeks ago to mark a large bulltrout on the downvision, dropped a jig right on top of it, and BAM. Fish on.

I have no reference on deep or murky or saltwater useage.

If I had a choice Hummingbird all the way. As stated the Helix models are excellent units, broad price range to choose from many options to choose from. Would be an easy decision for me if I was buying.

There are also some bundled units available now that include a Navionics+ card inside. The savings are really good. Check with your dealer to see if they have the bundle in stock. These are the units:

HUMMINBIRD: Helix 5, 7

LOWRANCE: Elite Ti 7, 9; Hook² 5, 7, 9,12

RAYMARINE: Axiom PRO 9, 12, 16; Dragonfly 4PRO, 5PRO, 5M, 7PRO

Never had a Humingbird, will never again have a Raymarine. The pins on my Raymarine broke off, which according to the internet was a common problem. I contacted them and was told to ship it back to Raymarine Service center. They called me back and confirmed the pins had broken off, the unit was toast and they didn’t fix units with broken pins and did I want it back or could they just dispose of it to save me return shipping charges.

What really tweaked me off was that it was a relatively new unit and they just said too bad so sad. They said in the future I shouldn’t disconnect the unit but if I did be very careful. I pointed out the issue with the pins breaking off was well documented and they had in fact modified the connector because of it. Still they said too bad! I liked the unit, but their after sales service sucks!

I am a Marine Electrician. I specialize in installing, servicing and troubleshooting marine electronics. I see everything. Raymarine cause people so much grief. They use their own proprietary data systems, and change that system frequently. What that means is no third party interface with other electronics, and no forwards or backwards compatibility with other Raymarine equipment without VERY expensive adapter kits from Raymarine. It leaves a lot of people with a hard decision to invest in cables and adapters to keep an aging system runnin, or replacing all. Hummingbird. Nice freshwater gear. Would I run it in the saltwater? No. Simrad and Lowrance, all the way.

Back