GoPro / Underwater Video Options

RogersonCrusoe

Hi everyone!
I've been toying with the idea of buying a GoPro (or equivalent) and trying to rig it up to my downrigger to get some underwater footage of trolling (lure action, fish disinterest etc...). Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance.

If you use a go pro here is a case for it TrollPro3-DR Down Rigger Series.

Alternative to go pro would be
Waterwolf HD Underwater Camera

I made my own housing using PVC pipe and some stainless hardware, I will post pictures later when im home from work, works great and only cost around 20-30$ in parts.

We couldn't justify the full price for the gopro so we decided to roll the dice on the knockoff Sjcam4000. So far its been great, the picture is clear and no qualms. Quality seems to be there when you handle it, doesn't feel cheap and its been underwater lots and no issues. I've only been running it for a few months now but I'm happy. We paid around 120+ tax and shipping on amazon.ca, it came from Ontario. Got a cheap knockoff accessory pack from overseas that took forever to come (6 weeks) but it had a ton of different mounts and extra parts I don't even know what they clamp too haha. Helmet mount, chest mount, various camps for handlebars, boat rails, floating attachement, "selfy stick" that's handy for holding the cam underwater for fish shots. All in cam and accessory pack for around 200 bucks.

One nice thing about the SJcam is the batteries are removable, so you can have a few extra charged and swap as necessary. Not really necessary most of the time, but its kind of cool for a camping trip, or multi-day boat trip with no shorepower. They're cheap on amazon but I haven't ordered any yet.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet.Waiting patiently for the summer spring fishery to give it a try.The camera I bought is also a Gopro type clone.$120 US on sale and is good to 197 ft.I've tried it out on a chest pack on a few hikes I've gone on and it takes amazingly clear footage.Cant wait to give it a go!

Haven't had a chance to use it yet.Waiting patiently for the summer spring fishery to give it a try.The camera I bought is also a Gopro type clone.$120 US on sale and is good to 197 ft.I've tried it out on a chest pack on a few hikes I've gone on and it takes amazingly clear footage.Cant wait to give it a go!
Same here sudsy.Basically copied the Troll Pro 3 ,even down to the colors.
Great job fsh. Looks like I have a new project to copy. One question though, why the two clips?

Wow, that looks awesome. Also going to copy that when I get around to buying the camera. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Be sure to post the videos when you get them :)

Pretty much all the new "underwater" cameras have flat case lenses which is need to accurately focus..the earlier cams housings needed tweaking. So you are good there.
I have found that bolting the gopro to the eye on a downrigger balls fin works great. No need for extra bulk down there. I ran the camera probably 30 days last year, but made sure to redo all knots on braid EVERY TIME.
You will be amazed how much light is found 100'+ even shortly after sundown.

Only drawback to getting clear, close footage is the fact that you have to have bait/hardware very close to the camera with the wide angle lens.

My best footage was of coho with the camera 30' down and with either a dummy flasher or even better, none at all, with a spoon only 4' from the camera:)

Biggest eye opener was how freaking dumb flashers look.

Sorry didn't mean to critique the housing.. Any diy project is awesome

Great job fsh. Looks like I have a new project to copy. One question though, why the two clips?
The bottom one is just a redundant safety measure I came up with for when I'm clipping it on and off the downrigger
cable over the side of the boat.The whole thing cost me about $20 for the ABS pipe fittings,$12 for the teardrop zinc
anode,$12 for the scotty line snaps,and a couple of bucks for stainless hardware.They want $150 US plus shipping
for the Trollpro 3 so basically built it for 25% of the cost.The thing that took the longest was the paint job.I just wanted it to look good,but I doubt the fish care.

The bottom one is just a redundant safety measure I came up with for when I'm clipping it on and off the downrigger
cable over the side of the boat.The whole thing cost me about $20 for the ABS pipe fittings,$12 for the teardrop zinc
anode,$12 for the scotty line snaps,and a couple of bucks for stainless hardware.They want $150 US plus shipping
for the Trollpro 3 so basically built it for 25% of the cost.The thing that took the longest was the paint job.I just wanted it to look good,but I doubt the fish care.
My brother in law was kind enough to make one for me same as yours less the 2nd clip and paint job. Haven't tried it out yet tho. Soon!
T2

Back