Good Idea or Waste of Money?

Rain City

Crew Member
I keep my 18lb cannons in the lockers on the gunnel of my boat. So they're essentially at my feet sitting in a holder in a box. Because of my girly hands I can't "palm" an 18lb cannon so I bought two of these to help lift them up and out. Am I just crazy to need to save 5 seconds? They were only $12 for both on Amazon. Love it? Hate it? Thought I could help someone else that might have a similarly tough time.

20191111_184455.jpg

That's actually a good idea. You don't have to bend down quite as far and easier to grasp. Once through the eyelet a secure grip too boot.

I keep my 18lb cannons in the lockers on the gunnel of my boat. So they're essentially at my feet sitting in a holder in a box. Because of my girly hands I can't "palm" an 18lb cannon so I bought two of these to help lift them up and out. Am I just crazy to need to save 5 seconds? They were only $12 for both on Amazon. Love it? Hate it? Thought I could help someone else that might have a similarly tough time.

View attachment 48977
If it doesn't have a cross piece welded into plastic handle might create a sore toe if it slips out. Does it have a weight rating?

If it doesn't have a cross piece welded into plastic handle might create a sore toe if it slips out. Does it have a weight rating?
You're right I honestly felt like cutting one open just to see. They're for butchers to handle large pieces of meat but they definitely weren't "professional grade" like everything at Home Depot :rolleyes:

They are a good idea for another reason. The standard balls are coated with gray lead oxide that ends up on your hands and if you are eating on the boat and handling balls, especially with something like oily potato chips, you can end up with a fair bit of it on your hands and ingesting a well known toxin.

Last edited:
.....Depends on your age, level of physical fitness, and ego, I would say.

would be handy to have one of those online forms like a mortgage calculator, where you plug in your personal values and basically it says if you qualify, lol !!!!!!!

EG:

FITNESS: Poor
EGO: what’s that ?

ANSWER: Good idea.

Last edited:
I recall seeing a similar design made out of all stainless (no plastic) for sale at Trotac in Victoria. They were even available in different lengths.

I recall seeing a similar design made out of all stainless (no plastic) for sale at Trotac in Victoria. They were even available in different lengths.
Were they labeled as "cannon lifters"?

They are actually a meat hook for lifting quarters of animals pork, deer etc I use them alot sink into the front shank makes it easier to carry

have a couple in different lengths , great for picking big ling and Hali, much more effective than your standard wood handle straight pick gaff

Back