Good Arguement For A Rule 2000

Sharphooks

When I installed a CHIRP thru-hull transducer a few years ago I remember thinking that as long as I'm drilling a 3 3/4" hole into the floor of my boat, it might not be a bad idea to also install a high-capacity bilge pump.....just in case...

So while launching in Ucluelet with the girlfriend a few days ago, I finally got to use my Rule 2000 which supposedly, will transfer 2,000 gallons of seawater from your bilge back into the ocean in an hour....

Yes, I'll admit it.....while blushing like a baboon....to my complete humiliation, I launched a very heavy 24 foot boat into Ucluelet harbor without installing the transom plug....

This is the same plug I leave on the front seat of my truck so it's in my face and I just never forget to put it in prior to launching....never.....only this time, I put it in the back of the truck to make room for the girlfriend so it was out of sight and out of mind....and then...

So that Rule 2000 absolutely saved the day...the two guys who helped me get the boat back out of the water and onto the trailer so I could get the plug back where it belongs (the same two guys I owe a dinner and lots of drinks to if I ever meet them again) were overheard by my girlfriend saying....wow, whatever pump that guy has in his boat seems to be moving a lot of water...."

So, gentlemen....baboon blush notwithstanding...I leave you with the Golden Rule of boating....just in case you ever share my moment of mortification at the launch ramp some day

did that once before but got lucky to notice the large amount of water shooting out from the side of the boat before i had it off the trailer.

did that once before but got lucky to notice the large amount of water shooting out from the side of the boat before i had it off the trailer.
I've done it more than once so now I don't move the boat unless the plug is in place.

I was afraid that would happen to me one day, so I decided to eliminate the thing all together.

Changed the thru hull fitting, installed a sea ****, plumbed it to a shurflo pump.......and presto ! New wash down system without drilling any new holes below the waterline of my boat. It’s been working flawlessly for years now, and I haven’t looked back.

I think we have all done this at one time in our boating lives - I have. Same thing for me - the bilge pump saved me. Had a friend in a 16 ft. Lund with no bilge, not so lucky.

I think we have all done this at one time in our boating lives - I have. Same thing for me - the bilge pump saved me. Had a friend in a 16 ft. Lund with no bilge, not so lucky.

I’ve done it twice now, not in my new boat but a couple older ones, had it coming over the floor boards of my 20’ Lund by the time I noticed it. Best thing to do is just pin it wide open throttle or as fast as you can and it sucks out the back in no time. In some boats you can reach in and get the plug in while still on the move others like my new boat you wouldn’t be able to but it may be possible to get something in from the inside to slow it down at least in order to get it back on the trailer. But yah just remember, go as fast as you can and it drains amazingly fast.

I did that with my boat the first time I launched it after purchase. I think everybody has done it at some point...or will.

My dad sunk our 16’ Lund at the launch almost weekly it seemed. he also used to run around on plane with the plug pulled to drain water out the drain plug hole. but then of course he would forget and fill the boat with more water than he originally was trying to get rid of.
it’s actually amazing he didn’t succeed in killing us.
he is the reason i am so anal and always make sure everything is up to par on my boats.!

I haven't launched without the plug in place... Yet.
Though, I'm not sure it'd be a huge problem if I did. My transom drain has a check ball which allows water to flow out, but (in theory) not in.
I would never count on it to save my butt, but when the time comes it might just help.
I live in fear of that blushing baboon moment. In the meantime, I function check the bilge pump regularly! Not just switch it on & listen for the hum. I put a bunch of water in there & make sure it pumps it out.
I'm glad everything worked out ok for you.
There's a saying in the aviation world that goes like this... "Learn from other people's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Last edited:
speaking of which, i took my rule 500 gph apart today and gave it a good cleaning.

it kept turning on all by itself in the driveway with a bone dry bilge. worried about the battery as it’s wired properly direct to the battery ( bypassing the perko. )

it’s amazing the crap that can accumulate inside. sensor must have had some crud stuck somewhere. works like a champ again.

Running the 12V version. Curious to know the upside or downside of 12V vs. 24V

Usually the 24 volt version uses considerably less than half the amps as the 12 volt version. It also takes way less of an in-line or other fuse to run them.

Oly

ripped my out drive clean off a couple weeks ago. I have three rule pumps in the bilge,85 gph and 2, 2000 gph. The small one was going full time and the one 2000 gph next to it was only coming on once a minute for around 15 -20 seconds be fore it caught up. The second 2000 gph was never needed. I have a lot of confidence in those pumps now.

Back