Golstream returns - WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna

Saw some pretty sad #'s from Goldstream over the wekend.
Coho - 300plus
Chinook - 30
Chum - 35 000
Coho - 141
Chinook - 2
Chum - 24 000
2008 - year to date, peak mid Nov.
Coho - 66
Chinook - 217
Chum - 1 500

Can't complain about the Chinooks though. The Chums will amount up more until End of Nov - wait and see. Cohos look bad, however.

The numbers are better than last year. Expect the chum to start in mass in another 1.5 - 2 weeks. The coho numbers will increase as well.

Saw a native guy dump 30 chum into the back of his truck the other day, my buddie piped up and said "thats a good haul for the day" native guy chuckled back and said "thats only an hour", you do the math,WTF.Just think of all the dirty s#$t happening on our rivers. We have restrictions so who regulates the native fishery? Went down to the river and watched spearing, netting and gaff hooking, WTF.Don't get me wrong whitey is guilty too!! Yea sure they are tiggers (CHUMS) but the way things are going we will be happy to catch chums in another 5 years unless we all change our ways. It is going to take an effort from everyone to save and protect our fishery.

Hey Luna I totally hear ya ! Every time I go to Goldstream it just makes my blood boil. I was up there about a month ago when the first runs started coming up.. I'm there with the kids on a Saturday in the middle of the day lots of family's out to come see the fish. Right in the middle of the main park on the stream shore lays evidence of a fish massacre ! Fish guts and egg row sacks were scattered every where, it was disturbing to see. All the kids are gathered around looking at this mess and they can not make any sense of it.. Right on the shore there are two big COHO carcasses where they have been pouched and filleted right on the spot ! You can see the knife cut in marks where they filleted the Coho's and just left them there right in the middle of the main shore in the park ! We are in the parking lot just about to drive out, and a car pulls in and parks.. a native family with two kids, mom and dad and the dad had a friend, one had a huge salmon net ! the other guy had a long spear pool ! and carrying a few bags.. I was in disbelief.. how can they do this right in the park? I've seen this before in previous years, their in the middle of the stream chasing fish around their stomping all over the spawning beds ! There killing more eggs and doing more damage than the actual fish they spear... Goldstream is a very small system .... it can NOT sustain that kind of abuse.. Luna your numbers state just that... If the Natives want to earn respect.. they had better start showing it in the way they do things to protect our fishery.

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

oh no, don't forget. This is their right because their people did it 600 years ago[xx(]I hear you. I was their and my boy saw a native doing his thing and he says "I thought you said we weren't aloud to fish in this river". It is pretty disgusting to see that.

quote:Originally posted by rico

oh no, don't forget. This is their right because their people did it 600 years ago[xx(]I hear you. I was their and my boy saw a native doing his thing and he says "I thought you said we weren't aloud to fish in this river". It is pretty disgusting to see that.

600 years ago there were so many fish the way Natives fished had little effect to the stocks.. 600 years latter year 2008 the fish stock and fish returns in streams and rivers is a fraction of it once was, and the Native have not change the ways they fish and harvest fish in today's time. And there is nothing we can do about it.. Governments can't touch them or regulate them.. its not right.

Times have changed and the "Keepers of the land" need to change too or the fish will be gone.

The other night I was watching Whale wars on TV of the anti Whaling on the Chinese Whaling fleet in the artic circle. Green peace and another big boat are out there on the arctic circle chasing down these big whale killing boats protesting and harassing them... What's the difference of Natives running in a spawning beds chasing fish to net and spear !! I think it is time we all stand up and to do the same towards the way Natives fish in our rivers and streams... fish need to be protected so they can go spawn not pouched and filleted on the steam beds, and pick up trucks filled with fish from the spawning beds of our rivers and steams... this has to stop. If Governments will do nothing, it is in our hands.... its up to all of us to stand up. We should be out there protesting them and harassing them so they get off the stream beds.. easier said then done though...

Careful boys.. make sure you have all the facts before you go into overdrive. If its bad for Natives to harvest salmon in streams ( and at least they put the frames and guts back which will help the nutrient base), then how can sport fishermen promote taking any salmon or steelhead from the streams.

And as far as stomping around the redds-- perception is worse than reality. Otherwise we would not be allowed to buy and wear waders.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I passed this thread on to friends of mine who are in the Cowichan Tribes hatchery and fishery program , did any of you happen to think to get the license number of the truck and a description of the make and approximate year ?
If you have ; would you email me to my personal email address and I will pass it on to them , they in turn can and will access the license plate registry and track down the FN individuals , there will be penalties brought down on these persons by their own peoples , the tribes are as concerned with this crap as we are , the last thing they want is poor public relations and stupid moves by their own members they have put a lot of time and funds into trying to re-establish some sort of stocking and stream and river enhancement to have it ruined by sme numbskulls from their own culture.

AL

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

I passed this thread on to friends of mine who are in the Cowichan Tribes hatchery and fishery program , did any of you happen to think to get the license number of the truck and a description of the make and approximate year ?
If you have ; would you email me to my personal email address and I will pass it on to them , they in turn can and will access the license plate registry and track down the FN individuals , there will be penalties brought down on these persons by their own peoples , the tribes are as concerned with this crap as we are , the last thing they want is poor public relations and stupid moves by their own members they have put a lot of time and funds into trying to re-establish some sort of stocking and stream and river enhancement to have it ruined by sme numbskulls from their own culture.

AL

Im glad to hear that they are also concerned, however if the liscence plate wasnt written down just drive down to goldstream, theres always somebody there! Or go to the bridges in cowichan bay, theres piles of fish sitting beside the bridges just left there. I remember when iwas little my dad was taking to a native guy from the reserve and he asked him why they have those stacks of fish in their yards, the guy said becasue they compete agianst neighbours and etc. to see who can spear the most fish!

quote:there will be penalties brought down on these persons by their own peoples , the tribes are as concerned with this

But what laws have they broken? Have the runs been declared a conservation concern? If they have not-- then First Nations are allowed to fish as they see fit for food and ceremonial purposes.

Dont like it ? -- then its time to change the Constitution. Good luck.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey ChromeSweetChrome could you be a bigger hypocrite?? Bonking every hatchery steelhead you catch just because it's legal but the FN shouldn't harvest chums because they are the "keepers of the land"? I'm just waiting for SummerSteel to join in on the hypocracy... don't kid yourselves gentlemen, if you're the guy in the yellow gumboots who takes two steelhead from the falls pool every morning for three months to "fill his card", then you're the same guy who's flossing salmon in the river because it's legal! The FN are playing within the rules just like you.

And by the way SummerSteel, all those "catch and release" fish you posted would have ended up in your freezer had it not been for their adipose fins, let's not kid ourselves [B)]

I went down to the bridges today nedarb and where were these piles of fish , I saw none , or are you going back how many years ?
I can go back many years in this area and can paint a black picture of stupidities which all races took part in to help crush this run.
Do you infer that Cowichan tribes does not punish its own for gross excesses since the runs have come into danger.
I can inform you that is not so !
All of the Saanich inlet and a large part of the surrounding waters are considered Cowichan Tribal territory and as such are subject to internal tribal discipline that you are obviously unaware of.

AL

Like the Rock said our fishery cannot withstand the way they harvest fish any longer, the #'s simply are not there like 100 years ago.Iam not solely blaming native fishing because logging and mining have not helped either. Natives have evolved, they don't ride hourses or live in tee p's anymore and they shop at the grocery store. Maybe if they are so spirital and ethical towards nature they should evolve there fishing practices too. Be proactive not rective. We are regultaed and cut back why aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back