Gold River Launch Question

tyeeking

I saw on the recent Critter Cove thread that they recommend launching at Gold River with a plus 4 foot tide or higher. The problem is that the week I am there (8/6-8/13) there is no 4 foot tide. I seem to recall launching on a much lower tide last year with no problems. Has something changed at the launch?

Also does anyone know when the fenced parking lot at the launch opens in the morning for leaving a trailer and how late they are open in the evening for picking it up.

Last question (for now) . . . since I arrive late in the evening the day before I launch I will need to car camp somewhere near the launch. Is there anything close by?

Thanks for your help.

Alan

Boy I am confused? Just looking at the tide charts for Gold River, you shouldn’t have any problems, depending on your trailer and draft! Few years back I pulled at 32' out of there without any problems. The shallowest part is just north of the seaplane dock! But, if the floats are floating, you shouldn’t have any problem.

Also, you don't have to wait to launch! I have launched after 6:00p several times. One of the best times to run out the channel is in the evenings after the westerly’s have died down</u>! It's only 20 miles to Critter and that is a nice run in the evening!

If your draft is only around 1'6"... why do you need a 4' tide?

To get the boat off the trailer? :)

So depending on how much water you need to "float your boat" off the trailer, is how much tide you need!

2008-08-06 (Wednesday)
Time Height
PDT (m) (ft)
04:32 3.0 9.8
10:28 1.2 3.9 </u> &lt;------
16:55 3.5 11.5
23:28 1.2 3.9

2008-08-12 (Tuesday)
Time Height
PDT (m) (ft)
04:46 1.0 3.3
11:46 2.7 8.9
16:25 2.2 7.2
22:12 3.2 10.5

I guess it depends on how big your boat is. You have a better than 4 ft tide until 10:30 am on the 6th of Aug. Realistically you want to be heading down the inlet by 9:00 am anyways unless you have the mother of all boats. Wind is also a big problem late morning into late afternoon. There is a small campground between Gold River and the Lauch on the river where you could park, although you could always just find a spot on the road as well after town. If this is a sleep in the truck/boat or camper deal there is a generous gravel turnaround that overlooks the river by what I beleive they call the Helicopter Pool, good enough for 1 night I am sure. After town, the river bends right at the highway at its next appearance in about a 90 degree turn.

As for the secure parking, last time I was there 2 years ago, the length of the grass in front of the gate suggested to me that it is never closed. Lots of people park on the road, although they will try to charge you for that too although it is a little less.

Make sure your reading the chart right in the link Critter sent. It's in meters. You'll rarely get a 4.0m tide.

We've launched our 24' Bayliner at 2.5' you just need to be carefull of a few rocks in the channel. In particular just off the seaplane dock.

Thanks for all the help. I'm always impressed with how helpful people are on this board. That speaks well of our "community". It sounds like the launch is the same as last year so no worries. Now if we could just get those fishing reports to pick-up a bit. Hopefully all it will take is a few more tide changes!

Alan

Back