Gold river data

I can tell you that the current steelhead delemia has nothing to do with what u are suggesting... Habitat , predators & Current state of the ocean has brought us to were we are now.. This is a coastal wide problem from California to Alaska...

Last edited:
Stamp winter steel start late Nov and run til end of March maybe into early April. So 250 estimated fish divided by 4ish months is 60 to 70 fish per month entering the river. I am sure back in the height of the winter steelhead fishing on the stamp there were times when at least 60 or 70 fish entered the river on a single high tide.
Arguing the numbers now is a mute point, it sucks and looks to continue to suck into the foreseeable future, likely never to return to anything resembling the not too distant past.
You are probably right about those numbers from the old days. Swanson’s was amazing some days

My best days steelheading in my life were on the Stamp River back in the 90s when I rowed my drift boat down from Butches down to the Service rd take out. Many stellar days hooking up multiple times in a day. Never to be forgotten.

You're right about the river getting hit hard but blaming "young wannabe instagram stars" is ridiculous when the population of Victoria alone has grown by more than 100k since the early 2000s. There is just way more people, and that isn't counting people from WA or elsewhere who've heard about the world famous Cowichan and take a few days off work to come up here and fish it. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention to other anglers but when I'm fishing the Cowie I see a lot more people twice my age than not.

Maybe if people stopped retaining wild steelhead before the population was diminished into the 100s we wouldn't be having this issue right now.

Are you pickin on net pens in muchlat lK?350 K released my long weekend for the years that stealhead have diminoshed.I have walked the bush of the okwanch riv and have found pools of water with no escape for the fry to leave and took my bailing can to help them.That lake like comox lake (this year) have no harvest restrictions and need help.As for the gold riv ,forestey practices in the head water are a factor.so take another bite of the carrot.FC

What?

Back