Glow spoons

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Bearded wonder, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Bearded wonder

Bearded wonder Active Member

probably a newbie question but where do you guys store your glow spoons/flashers/hoochies? I was thinking about it today and wondering if they need to be ‘charged’ by light like my glow rods. And if so then storing them in a tackle box may not be the best.

Thanks in advance.

2. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

I have a small LED UV flashlight from amazon that was around $12. It sure makes the lures glow in my basement but not sure if it actually improves anything in the fishing world. I’ve put down rusty purple spoons and caught a ton of fish so i think it’s more about finding the fish instead of having a bright shiny object down there.

If you have any LED lights on your boat like a rigid light or that kind of light, they seem to work good to make it glow

Irishwolf likes this.
  3. Irishwolf

Irishwolf Crew Member

Tacklebox.

I charge up my glow spoons and flashers before using them and again every 30min or so using a UV flashlight. Only a deliberate pass of the flashlight needed. In my testing, this method keeps the glow for at least 30 min. I find it makes a difference.

4. Trophy

Trophy Active Member

Ditto!

5. chinnok

chinnok Active Member

You guys are getting carried away!!

Aces likes this.
  6. halimark

halimark Well-Known Member

I agree, leave them on the boat seat for a couple mins before setting them down. All I ever did. When on anchor have opened tackle box and used its "glow" to read a few times.

HM

walleyes likes this.
  7. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

yup, in the sun for the trip to the fishing area and then in the water, no light needed. charged is charged.

walleyes likes this.
  8. Prfisher

Prfisher Active Member

I keep my glow gear in clear plastic food containers. Let's enough light in for a good charge on a bright day.
    A couple of bucks each at Cantire.

9. Irishwolf

Irishwolf Crew Member

Charge wears off actually. Stick them in your closest and test yourself.

Also you get a more intense glow using the UV light.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Dogbreath likes this.
  10. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

Yes there's no comparison really.

Irishwolf likes this.
  11. Spring-time

Spring-time New Member

Try doing both, use a flashlight and use the sunlight on your trip out. Go with the percentages, that’s at least a mental advantage, and that’s something anyway. Anglers tend to stick with something they know works just a little longer and that can make all the difference in the world. Believing is half the battle because it breeds patience and patience produces fish

Rain City, barkerfam and Irishwolf like this.