Give a Chum a chance??? What's your best bycatch recipe?

Jane

Hello all,
My name is Jane. I just started a local fish store on Quadra Island . I'm looking at tips for cooking the lesser desired fish. The chums (I've heard cook fast), the pinks (burn for warmth in case of an emergency). The yellow eye? I've made a taco out of them.
What about our shrimp?
We can't all afford Sockeye and Halibut. And we definitely can't all afford to run a boat (don't even want to go there right now). Anyone eaten a sea cucumber?
What's your best bycatch recipe?

So when you say on the BBQ, you mean a little salt and pepper, straight on the grill? Like a steak? I must confess if I BBQ my fish I usually do it in tinfoil.

So when you say on the BBQ, you mean a little salt and pepper, straight on the grill? Like a steak? I must confess if I BBQ my fish I usually do it in tinfoil.
Cooking fish in a tinfoil packet means you're steaming it. BBQ is incidental at that point. Better to use a nonstick grill sheet and cook the salmon uncovered. You can see what's happening and get it off before it overcooks.

BC shrimp can be done so many ways (cue the Bubba Gump jokes), but as with any high quality super fresh ingredients, less is more. The flavours are already so good, why add anything else? Pan fry in garlic butter until they're just pink, serve. Yelloweye is nice clean white flesh but usually fairly small fillets, so fish tacos is a great way to use them.

Cooking any fish in tinfoil pretty much guarantees it will be TOTALLY over cooked and un edible. Cook it to medium rare and take it off the heat. it will finish cooking all the way through on the counter or plate in the next minute or so. once you eat fish like this you will never go back

Mostly for fish I roast in a hot oven, 450 F or so. Cook fillets skin side down on tinfoil, use a spatula to lift the finished fish right off the skin. Fish cooks quickly, typical salmon fillets are done in 7-8 minutes, and as @fish brain says, it keeps cooking after you take it out at medium rare. Same thing works on a BBQ, just use a cookie sheet and tinfoil or a grill sheet, but you gotta get the BBQ hot.

Back