Gitxsan to close Skeena. Written by Bob Hooton

OldBlackDog

Wow, talk about capitalizing on the current governments' collective agendas of reconciliation and taking the United Nations Declaration of the Rights to Indigenous People to another level, try these latest media reports on for size.

If I had a nickel for every pink salmon I observed being thrown away after being retrieved from Gitksan gill nets deployed in the Skeena River I would have a tidy sum to play with. The same goes for gaffed and discarded fish at the place long known as Moricetown.

Apparently it matters not that a substantial proportion of the commercial fishing vessels harvesting those now sacred Skeena chinook, coho and pink salmon are owned and operated by First Nations members. They are far more attuned to conservation than anyone else. Its those lowlight anglers with their single barbless hook attached to artificial lures are the problem.

Anyone seen a federal or provincial politician weigh in on any of this? Their silence is deafening. Dear Minister Donaldson from right there in downtown Hazelton, what say you in defence of the vast majority of people in this province? You remember, the ones who have paid handsomely with their tax dollars for their entire lives to support the FN spokespersons now claiming we don't belong in their territory.

https://www.terracestandard.com/…/gitxsan-chiefs-close-ter…/

https://www.mybulkleylakesnow.com/…/gitxsan-govt-opposes-a…/

And to divide things even more, guides from Bear Claw Lodge on the Kispiox are pushing hard for fly fishing only. Theyve already tried the guided only route. Chink away until you get your way as they say....

Here is an email chain ive been following..
This morning, I received the March, 2018 minutes from the SAAT (Skeena Anglers Advisory Team) meeting. (They were released only on August 9.) The cover email chain describes how Gene Allen lobbied the provincial managers successfully to adopt his proposal (attached) even though SAAT voted against it. You'll also see that on a two-to-three year basis, the goal is to implement a lottery system or similar to limit non-resident, unguided anglers across the Skeena.

For 2018, the rules are unchanged. Note that in 2019, gear will be allowed on all other rivers, e.g. the Copper, Bulkley, Morice and Skeena. However, should fly-only on the Kispiox be judged a success (no criteria supplied), the intention will be to roll this provision out to other Skeena tribs

Cant figure out gow to attach the pdf... darn... :(

Last edited:
Ha...the guides caught fish are some of the worst released fish of the season.
People who have never seen a fish before bearhugging or surfing them up on the beach to get a pic!
Oh and don’t forget about the pictures when you need your Spey rod on the ground and your steelhead beside it up on the rocks!
If a stock is abundant enough keep it open to all methods of fishing. If a stock is not doing good shut it down to fishing!
The ******** we saw on the Thompson the last 8 years is sickening! Let’s not repeat it up there!

Wow, talk about capitalizing on the current governments' collective agendas of reconciliation and taking the United Nations Declaration of the Rights to Indigenous People to another level, try these latest media reports on for size.

If I had a nickel for every pink salmon I observed being thrown away after being retrieved from Gitksan gill nets deployed in the Skeena River I would have a tidy sum to play with. The same goes for gaffed and discarded fish at the place long known as Moricetown.

Apparently it matters not that a substantial proportion of the commercial fishing vessels harvesting those now sacred Skeena chinook, coho and pink salmon are owned and operated by First Nations members. They are far more attuned to conservation than anyone else. Its those lowlight anglers with their single barbless hook attached to artificial lures are the problem.

Anyone seen a federal or provincial politician weigh in on any of this? Their silence is deafening. Dear Minister Donaldson from right there in downtown Hazelton, what say you in defence of the vast majority of people in this province? You remember, the ones who have paid handsomely with their tax dollars for their entire lives to support the FN spokespersons now claiming we don't belong in their territory.

https://www.terracestandard.com/…/gitxsan-chiefs-close-ter…/

https://www.mybulkleylakesnow.com/…/gitxsan-govt-opposes-a…/

I read your post, and then summarily ignored it. Not because of the content of your post, but because of the content in your signature. You clearly have no understanding of science, or even rudimentary statistics.

I read your post, and then summarily ignored it. Not because of the content of your post, but because of the content in your signature. You clearly have no understanding of science, or even rudimentary statistics.

First as noted in the post, I did not write it. I just posted it here for its content.

Two, as you have a different opinion than me on another subject aren’t you glad you live in Canada and can say so.

SCHEDULE BCONSTITUTION ACT, 1982

Part ICanadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

Guarantee of Rights and Freedoms
Rights and freedoms in Canada
1The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Fundamental Freedoms
Fundamental freedoms
2Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a)freedom of conscience and religion;

(b)freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c)freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d)freedom of association.

It’s quite simple... if one cannot accept scientific fact as reality, any and all notions that individual puts forward are suspect.

This has nothing to do with our rights and freedoms as Canadians. It’s a simple statement that no matter how valid the artical is, it is totally negated by your signature. If you want people to take you seriously, you need to ignore your belief and accept the facts borne out of science.

And just so we are clear... averaging a set of data is done to reflect a “mean” result that is closer to the ideal value representative of the parent set. Each member of the set doesn’t have to be entirely accurate. There are better tools than calculation of the “mean average” and climatologists use those tools. But the average is meant to smooth out data so that the average can be used to approximate the set from which it came. Your point is wrong on many levels... first that climatologists use simple average means in calculating global changes, and secondly, that averages are not representative of a set.

But yes, I agree that we have the right and freedom to post whatever we might want to in Canada. Why? So that we can see the fools, zealots, and extremists for what they are in the cold light of day.

If you ever want to sit down and debate climate change (or really anything else) with me, I’d be glad to do so. But please do some homework and gain at the very least a rudimentary understanding of the scientific process before we meet. Science isn’t about belief. It’s about discovery, results, and repeatability.

You have mail.

Back