Ghost Nets left fishing in Port Alberni after FN opening

They blockaded the launch last Wednesday before the derby to get on opening for economic opportunity.

Dfo is pulling those Nets, hundreds of fish to the garage dump.

This needs to be all over the news!

What??? And trigger the usual screams of racism that they always use to silence any media or public scrutiny on their outrageous actions?

Did anyone see the fish in the net ? Just wondering about verification. Not that I don’t doubt it . Dfo told me today the net was snagged on the booms . Guess the owner was too lazy to go to the trouble of disentangle the net . What a waste. The natives are still wanting $3.50 @ lb for fish while the commercial buyers are only paying $2.00 @ lb . A little greed going on. I have a native buddy wanting to put fish in the freezer for winter and the Port Alberni natives still want top buck . So much for native brotherhood eh ? Sad .

Did anyone see the fish in the net ? Just wondering about verification. Not that I don’t doubt it . Dfo told me today the net was snagged on the booms . Guess the owner was too lazy to go to the trouble of disentangle the net . What a waste. The natives are still wanting $3.50 @ lb for fish while the commercial buyers are only paying $2.00 @ lb . A little greed going on. I have a native buddy wanting to put fish in the freezer for winter and the Port Alberni natives still want top buck . So much for native brotherhood eh ? Sad .

I've bought tuna for 1.50/lb when others on the dock are asking 3.00. The fish is worth what people are willing to pay. That's not greed.

Re the others talking about rights. BC is unceded territory. It's like you growing your garden then someone stealing your produce and selling it...and you have no recourse.

I've bought tuna for 1.50/lb when others on the dock are asking 3.00. The fish is worth what people are willing to pay. That's not greed.

Re the others talking about rights. BC is unceded territory. It's like you growing your garden then someone stealing your produce and selling it...and you have no recourse.
Much of the Island was ceded... that's what the Douglas Treaty is all about. Lots of land was traded for small bags of silver shekels... Also I'm sure there were other territories were also ceded within the province.
Also, our FN rights are all fine and dandy, but FN communities do need to look to the future and acknowledge that current commercial style methods are completely unsustainable, and consider harvesting only what is needed, as per pre-colonial traditions.
I use my rights solely when I absolutely need to as I prefer getting fish by sportly means (even though it's not nearly as cost effective) and only to fill my freezer for my immediate family.

Back