General Open Forum - Guidelines?

wishiniwasfishin1

Two politically motivated threads were recently closed by site administrators.

SFBC is a fantastic forum and is generally used by level headed environment / fishing minded people.
The depth of knowledge, experiences and life stories (and reports) keep me checking this site...often.
I am not sure why guys / gals with so much common sense in all areas related fishing and coastal, and others cant be trusted to talk about the politics of our closest neighbour and the potential impact it may have on our beloved way of life.
Is asking for a political thread in general / conservation too much to ask?

Left wing?

Actually I mostly played Centre and Left Defense! Oh wait...this isn't the hockey thread. :D
The General Open Forum does have some fun threads like the Canucks one where members can talk about another great passion in our country and it allows people to post other interesting topics that aren't necessarily fishing related. The challenge with a pure political thread is how quickly the pure polarizing nature of politics rises to the surface and, despite our best efforts to remind everyone to not let it degenerate into a mudslinging, my guy is tougher, smarter or prettier than your guy debate, it always does.
Like most boys I had two very influential men in my life while growing up. My Grandfather, who came to Canada from Ukraine in 1928, left a very volatile and dangerous life behind and started a whole new life in a land he knew nothing about. I think it gave him a different perspective than most people in my generation. He reminded me often that I had two ears and one mouth, so I should listen twice as much as I speak. At the time I didn't think much of it, but now I marvel at how he used to be able to carry on a conversation, in his very broken English, with people he barely knew, about any topic including religion and politics and not have it end in a quagmire.
My Dad, on the other hand, created my love of outdoor activities such as fishing and was a kind and generous man to many people. However, he could not carry on a conversation about politics without it ending up in a heated debate that really wasn't going anywhere anyway! In the end I learned to listen to peoples opinions on subjects like politics and not judge them for their beliefs, from my Grandfather. From my Dad I learned that, debating someone about their politics, when their ideals were polar opposite to mine, was likely going to end in a stalemate and potentially cost me an otherwise perfectly good relationship, so why bother. I believe that my Grandfather would have been a fantastic contributor to an online forum but I would have had to ban my Dad at some point because he just wouldn't have known when to say when!
So, because we are not here to ban otherwise perfectly good contributors to this great site, we choose to cut off the debate before guys like my Dad step over the line and we have to intervene. In the case of political threads, it is almost inevitable and because we would rather not spend a great deal of time refereeing or cleaning up a mess, we choose not to have the debate at all.
I hope this helps you understand our position and respect why we don't want to mange political threads on a regular basis.

Brian

Did you read what the thread had slid into?

I applaud @Admin for shutting it down; it was slipping to nowhere good.

Is asking for a political thread in general / conservation too much to ask?

We're a bunch of adults and in someone else's living room....being hosted. If adults can't play nice in someone else's house...kick em out. Was having beers with buddies yesterday afternoon and the dialogue slid to US politics, took me 15 minutes of listening to FRIENDS babble before I left.

The thread was going nowhere good,

because we are not here to ban otherwise perfectly good contributors to this great site, we choose to cut off the debate before guys.....step over the line and we have to intervene. In the case of political threads, it is almost inevitable and because we would rather not spend a great deal of time refereeing or cleaning up a mess, we choose not to have the debate at all.
I hope this helps you understand our position and respect why we don't want to mange political threads on a regular basis.

Well posted Brian!

As much as I did like listening to others views, I must admit the thread was going down that dark hole. As Pippen said we are guests here, so play by the rules or go home. Brian sounds like our grandfathers and fathers would get along great. My grandfather had a hearing aid and I once said to him I was sorry that he was hard of hearing and he replied "Its not that bad, half the stuff some people say you don't want to hear anyway".

Very fair call. In the end it wasn't even out politics. Not for me anyway. It was about 2 sides digging their heels in about who has a bigger dick.
Shame we can't have these discussions, glad you shut it down.

PS. I was right tho. Lol

Very well said Brian, great illustration.

Personally, I think the moderators and admin on this site allow a very long leash and keep their distance for the most part. Also, most of the members here are very decent so it's somewhat self regulating. Respected members will often speak out and call out other respected members if they are out of line. IMHO, I think this is one of the best forums that I participate in for a variety of reasons. On the other hand, I participate in some others sparingly, one specifically because I find their moderators and administrators have a very tight leash and are quite authoritarian in how they run their site but appear to let some of the more senior forum members run rough shod over others.

Brian et. al have a vested interest in this forum. At the end of the day, it's their call (and forum) whether we like it or not. The unfortunate thing is it only takes one person to railroad an entire thread even though everything prior to that was civil and respectful.

Yeah I totally get what you are saying Brian. Trying to explain things to another person who feels differently politically is rarely productive.
I know there are going to be a lot of controversial and touchy subjects coming up with the new Boss, so I just more wanted to see if this site is a good place to discuss. Agree though, we should stick to fishing.

Another forum where I've been a longtime member has a subforum called Bear Pit, where the more contentious topics can be discussed by those who wish to. The rest of the site generally has a PG tone, and moderators are pretty quick to shut down threads that cross the line, and even to suspend or ban members who don't know when enough is enough. Moderating policy is more hands off in this one area and there's a disclaimer going in that says things are pretty rough and tumble in here, don't come in if you're not prepared to defend your opinions. It was started as an experiment a few years back, and its continued existence indicates is is a successful one. A major benefit is that the edgy stuff is out of sight/mind of those who have no interest in it, and moderators can be proactive by killing or relocating threads that aren't compatible with the general concept of the forum (skiing in this case).

My personal preference is to put in my two cents worth and then just observe after that. It doesn't really bother me if SFBC continues as it has, but a Bear Pit area could prove interesting, provided the terms of engagement are clearly understood and enforced. Personal attacks and insults are never to be tolerated.

I was following the thread that got shut down with interest and found it entertaining as well as informative. I stayed out of it since I saw points I agreed with from both sides and could see valid points given from both sides. So I decided to stay on the sidelines and try to see and take in both sides of the argument. That's what is good about forums. It's a place where people can express differences of opinion. I was almost ready to take Eastmon up on his Trump bet but had a feeling Trump had a pretty good shot at getting in. Glad I didn't make the bet now... hehe.
I would have liked to see the thread continue but i agree it was getting a bit out of hand. It's a pretty contentious issue with deep divisions on both sides...
I like the idea of the bearpit, or anything goes section.. (any subject)

I think the bear pit is a good idea. Quite a few forums have that. Unfortunately, it might become a legal liability issue to the forum owners if stuff that is clearly libelous or violates any human rights legislation is allowed to be posted. So it's a fine line to walk for them. Probably just easier on their part to not allow it. Free speech is very tightly controlled these days. It's really only an illusion. You are free to say whatever you want in Canada, till it offends someone. Then look out, because you could be in a whole lot of hot water.

I think the bear pit is a good idea. Quite a few forums have that. Unfortunately, it might become a legal liability issue to the forum owners if stuff that is clearly libelous or violates any human rights legislation is allowed to be posted. So it's a fine line to walk for them. Probably just easier on their part to not allow it. Free speech is very tightly controlled these days. It's really only an illusion. You are free to say whatever you want in Canada, till it offends someone. Then look out, because you could be in a whole lot of hot water.
yeah true but i think most guys have enough class to keep it legit we are all adults here right lol;)

Never a truer word spoken TBG.

I like edgy, and a good debate. But a key point is to keep it as that, a debate. Difference of opinion is a great thing. But when one side takes an elitist point of view and stops debating and starts labeling, then it turns nasty.

One of my favourite quotes is "Being offended doesn't mean your right, it just shows a lack of emotional control"

Legally, the forum isn't on the hook for anything, just requests by authorities when one party sues. Even then it's by court order.

Me thinks we wouldn't get that carried away.

Bear pit! Bear pit!

Back