Gelcoat crack in hull?

jcon12

Hi all,

I am looking at a 1987 Tiderunner 21.

I've read a number of conflicting debates regarding gelcoat cracks along the hull. This particular crack is about 4-5" long/across.

I know these boats were built heavy and thick.. so not sure if this is a sign of an old bump against a dock, possible structural issues or just wear and tear on an old fiberglass boat.

It has new power and ticks most of my boxes.

https://ibb.co/tKxSTsr
https://ibb.co/LDTCp69

I believe you're right - a bump at some time. It's small, localized and easily repaired. A thirty plus year old boat is bound to have a few bruises.

Don't think that's a bump across the dock. Depends on how long it has been there and how much water has gotten in...while cracked gelcoat isn't a huge problem per se, it's what's underneath. Polyester resin in likely what was used to form the fiberglass layers...polyester resin is not waterproof. Is there anywhere else in the boat that has similar crscks? Is the cracks above or below waterline?

Owner thinks it occurred before he owned (atleast 3 years ago).

Appears to be above the waterline (as the hull also has bottom paint and this is definitely above that).. it is port side towards the bow. In the second link/photo you can see the area (hard to see the crack tho) and the deck lines on the upper right side of the image.

What would a surveyor be able to tell you about this?

A surveyor would look inside and try and see if there is structural damage. Is the area swollen? Stains? They would do a knock test and if it passes, then a few C notes at your favorite gelcoat guy and you're good to go. To me this looks like someone came into the dock hot and will be no big deal but it definitely needs to be checked.

I have hired a marine surveyor on my last 2 boat purchases, and highly recommend it as cheap insurance against buying a boat full of problems. Pointing the surveyor to the areas of concern and having them focus attention on testing for water intrusion etc, is a good approach and peace of mind as opposed to rolling the dice and getting caught up in trying to make it work because you love the boat. Buyers remorse is a bad place to end up.

Also since this boat is older, there's a good chance your insurance carrier will require a survey.

Back