Gas prices up again

Anybody using the E85 flex fuel that Co-OP on Bowen rd in nanaimo has? $1.02/L.

Heating oil season. Diesel and heating oil are produced at the same place in the cracking tower. In the winter with demand for heating oil going up and demand for diesel remaining static there is an net increase in demand for the distillate derived from that part of the cracking tower.

Wait, what? There's a perfectly reasonable explanation? But the conspiracy!

Its Horgan. Any bets on what prices will do after he introduces, (and his green bed buddies agree) his new bill to mandate the oil companies to report weekly/monthly or when he decides their breakdowns of costs??? A first in Canada, lets follow California?? It works there?? I foresee more $$$$$ for lawyers to pass and fight this, off course the oil companies lawyer fees will be passed on to consumers. Good times ahead.....

HM

Its Horgan. Any bets on what prices will do after he introduces, (and his green bed buddies agree) his new bill to mandate the oil companies to report weekly/monthly or when he decides their breakdowns of costs??? A first in Canada, lets follow California?? It works there?? I foresee more $$$$$ for lawyers to pass and fight this, off course the oil companies lawyer fees will be passed on to consumers. Good times ahead.....

HM
Another populist move by horgy before the provincial elections. he just wants to protect his base, but his approach would turn BCUC into a gas price regulator. These restrictions aren’t enforceable and wouldn’t stand in a court of law. Terrible times to be a taxpayer in western Canada.

Last edited:
So, the thread topic is bitching about fuel prices. The government introduces some policy that requires some accountability and disclosure on pricing and we have further bitching. Sometimes I wonder what you guys are looking for or expecting........ It seems to me it is more about who is steering the ship and not where it is going.

The fuel companies operate in an oligopoly much like our telcoms(which is even worse if we want to really ***** about pricing).

So, the thread topic is bitching about fuel prices. The government introduces some policy that requires some accountability and disclosure on pricing and we have further bitching. Sometimes I wonder what you guys are looking for or expecting........ It seems to me it is more about who is steering the ship and not where it is going.

The fuel companies operate in an oligopoly much like our telcoms(which is even worse if we want to really ***** about pricing).
Ha! Sometimes the concept of the capitalistic free markets doesn’t mix well with over regulating the suppliers. It’s the rule of supply and demand that defines the market dynamics. What you call “accountability “ through government policies has been tested many many times before. Only time will tell if the new policy will do the average joe any good.

Ha! Sometimes the concept of the capitalistic free markets doesn’t mix well with over regulating the suppliers. What you call “accountability “ through government policies has been tested many many times before. Only time will tell if the new policy will do the average joe any good.

Free markets are full of competition. I don't think we have that. Anyway, we will see if this helps.

Free markets are full of competition. I don't think we have that. Anyway, we will see if this helps.
You’re right. Not many players here and to me that’s a symptom. Why other provinces don’t have this unique problem? What does it take to increase the supply just so the consumer isn’t fully exposed to market conditions? And how is Horgy’s policy going to make the supply market more competitive?
Oh wait! I forgot we’re supposed to become emission free in a few years!

Maybe someone should ask the rest of NA what they are doing as all have cheaper prices than lower Horgan land. Maybe a pipeline down from Northern BC, I would like some $1.09 ltr PG gas. But that's Alberta oil. The same stuff Horgans court stopped to Van.

From a business standpoint I cannot even begin to think what "laws" that tell the gov and public my total expenditures, revenues and profits, along with all other details in our Premiers new bill will do to the BC economy. Think of that for a minute. "accountability and disclosure"????? Maybe we "Granny" the whole system in BC, to hell with free enterprise and individual business models. Do you really want BC to reflect Commifornia? Off topic but they just outlawed lead for hunting bullets, based on BS Condor science, fishing's next. Imagine a BC tidal water with no lead use??? Love them Commifornia granny laws, lets leave them there. BC needs communication, free enterprise, working together and products to markets.=my opinion.

HM

Gas price hike imminent almost as much as USA will retaliate on bombing on US bases in Iraq........I say WAR is in the horizon:(
Crude oil per barrel has started to rise

Definitely going to go up. Great deal for the US all around. Iran sells it's oil to China. The US gets involved and next there will be supply chain issues. But hey that's Okay the US has plenty of oil to sell and help them out. At the same time supplying themselves will discounted Canadian crude since we can't get oil to China through a pipe?!? Maybe Trump isn't that dumb after all? lol

Well-- lets talk gouging. Gas Buddy has a station in Powell river as the worse I could find:
update

City Motors
5951 Arbutus Ave & Oak St
Powell River bccynic
There is no way that this can be justified unless they dont want to sell gas....

That’s bloody bs, gas in central Alberta right now is around 0.55/L There’s no way they can justify that. Refineries are getting their feed stock for next to zero right now. Trucking has been deemed an essential service, highways are wide open do to the drop in traffic. Businesses like that should be charged.

People that live near Arbutus and Oak don't look at gas prices.

I saw 79.9 in Vancouver yesterday. Amazing

I filled up at Second and Burrard today at 94.9. :rolleyes:.

I don't pretend to understand gas pricing as if there is a shutdown at refineries our price jumps instantly.....oil hits $12 a barrel and we see an increase in prices and those prices which don't seem to be in conjunction with the price of oil. We flirt with $1,70 when oil is at all time highs......but when they are at the lowest in ages we really only drop about 33%.

I filled up at Second and Burrard today at 94.9. :rolleyes:.

I don't pretend to understand gas pricing as if there is a shutdown at refineries our price jumps instantly.....oil hits $12 a barrel and we see an increase in prices and those prices which don't seem to be in conjunction with the price of oil. We flirt with $1,70 when oil is at all time highs......but when they are at the lowest in ages we really only drop about 33%.
Super save at 12th and Clark is always cheap

Back