Gas prices up again

And honestly the only really practical places where an EV could get used for everyday use in Canada.
I think any of the larger cities in the province are also candidates. Even if only a percentage of Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, Kelowna ,PG Kamloops etc changed over it might have a real impact on demand for fuel. In more rural areas a Plug-in Hybrid might be an option. If as we keep being told it’s a supply and demand issue creating the high prices, then electrification where practical, should result in lower fuel prices.

Should add should but likely won’t lol

I am currently a one vehicle guy, don't think electric could tow my boat, carry quad and pull trailer home from up north with the 1050 lbs of meat as mine just did. For the second car family or people with grocery lives, gaming or other pursuits an electric may work. Still think the cost of purchase and maintenance of EV does not warrant the purchase. Back to my original reason for high prices only here. Even Greta has no problem burning pollutant fuel to travel the world??

HM

Just watched the news. Gas was selling today in Edmonton for 75.9 at Costco. Apparently they are having a little competition/gas war.

We are getting hosed and desperately need some consumer protection legislation.

More realism in Alberta and the North. In my opinion LAWs against any producer group are not the answers. As a builder how about having a max asking price, as a retailer a max profit? How about a maximum on housing resale value? All crazy ideas and sort of communist or NDP I think. Mother me and take all my responsibility for myself away. Maybe those who put real highest ever gas price reason in power should pay more for gas?? We all use oil products, how about allowing more to arrive??? If you want to save the earth STOP helping kill it. Don't know anyone who has a non carbon producing boat. My thoughts.

HM

Best thing I ever did was move close to work, housing costs a lot more but getting home from work at 5:08 is priceless. Sucks that we're being gouged but I don't have much to complain about. An EV isn't for me just yet, a cheap used fuel efficient car is still the best fit.

More realism in Alberta and the North. In my opinion LAWs against any producer group are not the answers. As a builder how about having a max asking price, as a retailer a max profit? How about a maximum on housing resale value? All crazy ideas and sort of communist or NDP I think. Mother me and take all my responsibility for myself away. Maybe those who put real highest ever gas price reason in power should pay more for gas?? We all use oil products, how about allowing more to arrive??? If you want to save the earth STOP helping kill it. Don't know anyone who has a non carbon producing boat. My thoughts.

HM

I wonder if on gas pumps they had an option button on them. If you believe a tax will save the planet and if you believe in a carbon tax press here for this amount and pay your tax with joy. If you don’t believe it will make a difference and more tax is b.s. press here and pay less, which button would get pressed more ?? I think we all know the answer.

Or better yet have a button that’s asked straight forward. Do you support the development of Canadian oil and gas and the development of pipelines in Canada. If you press yes you fill up, if you press no the pump shuts down and you walk. Pretty easy way to get a poll done in this country.

I'm not convinced there's gouging going on, what level do you guys think it's happening on? And how do you think a conspiracy this size has been kept secret considering the number of people that would have to be in on it? Property cost, higher minimum wages, special fuel blends, refinery locations (transport costs to the LM) and government entities collecting $2.4 million from the average gas stations 4,000,000L in sales and other factors pretty much explain it. You put $100 in your tank the station makes $13, the gov makes $60.

Here's an interesting read with an excerpt;

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/metro-vancouvers-gas-stations

So far this year, the retail margin for Vancouver gas stations is 8.4 cents a litre higher than the average in other western Canadian cities. It was 5.9 cents a litre higher in 2018. The Deetken Group found that 1.4 cents a litre of that 8.4-cents-a-litre difference could not be attributed to land or other costs.

Also

The report states that since 2015, the rack price difference between Vancouver and the rest of Western Canada has risen as much as 15 cents a litre.

So from the missing $.014/L the average gas station grosses not nets enough to pay 2 minimum wage workers while the gov collects $2.4 million. If running a gas station earned such fat stacks Esso, Chevron and Husky wouldn't be selling or have sold their **** off. The disparities above don't add up to the difference Lower Mainlanders are paying.

Here's a poor graphic from https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/cv.action?pid=1810000101#timeframe

Vancouver, British Columbia 124.1 119.7 125.6 128.3 115.3 120.6 127.9 125.6 133.9 138.8 134.0 130.1 131.8 137.7 137.4 136.9 141.3 137.2 141.7 144.5 151.4 155.1 159.9 154.3 155.7 150.3 151.9 155.2 141.9 138.5 132.0 134.4 149.6 167.3 169.0 148.4 151.5 148.2 153.6

It shows the average price per liter in Vancouver from July 2016 to current, the red bold month is July 2017, that's NDP time. As a matter of fact on July 17, he actually said

"Our government will offer families relief from high costs and fees, strengthen services like health care and education, and create good jobs and economic opportunity across B.C.," said Horgan in a statement.

Sure you will Johnny Boy, how's that ICBC coming, your lawayer buds still gonna do ok?

One month after their election or whatever you want to call how they took power prices jumped higher than almost the entire previous year and have never gone back below the $1.318/L it was the month they took power. But no it's the dastardly gas stations with their unaccounted for $.014/L or $1.40/100L fill that are gouging.

HM
I agree let the market sort it out. If high gas prices drive people to EV’s so be it. But if that happens,unless gas really tanks, no pun intended, they just ain’t coming back. High gas prices are the best thing that could happen to the EV industry!

But Horgan ordered an investigation!

He sure did, good thing he didn't specifically order a giant gap left in the inquiry. lol Come on people, how can you not see it? The really gross part of it is we can't blame the voting, no one voted for our current coalition, it wasn't ever on the ballot or presented up front. It was a greasy backdoor sneak.

HM
Far be it from me to discourage the use of Light Antitank Weapons which in general I love but I agree, if you support freedom you support free markets, not state price controls.

Anti trust laws to prevent monopolies are at times good and should be enforced, but unless there's collusion between companies to subvert the market, making money on a product is not wrong.

This is a supply vs demand problem, and that's all.

I filled up today in the lower mainland for 1.30 if you subtract 52 cents of litre in tax there selling it for 80 cents a litre.

I still don't undertand why they can't cap the tax. Why keep gouging as the price goes higher and higher. Set the ****** at a nominal rate based on the average price of gas Province wide.

At one speech Horgan actually stated that BC residents LIKE paying higher tax. Was not at same meeting he denied that Victoria has a traffic problem. I am sorry for those whose households are affected by the higher gas prices. Less entertainment or god forbid food hurts. I expect no Gov to help me live where I financially cannot. I still believe that its a direct response to Horgans stopping of product sale and movement. Again BC is lucky I am not the Oil boss with a tap. All refined product in BC would be 3x price, and almost impossible to get as existing pipeline needs service/upgrades/maintenance. Send a real message, you don't want a pipeline, means you don't want what I am selling. Pretty simple.

HM

Far be it from me to discourage the use of Light Antitank Weapons which in general I love but I agree, if you support freedom you support free markets, not state price controls.

Anti trust laws to prevent monopolies are at times good and should be enforced, but unless there's collusion between companies to subvert the market, making money on a product is not wrong.

This is a supply vs demand problem, and that's all.

I agree in supporting free markets and having laws to prevent monopolies but for me there is more at play than a simple supply vs demand problem..

IMO a supply problem will exist when you see extensive line ups at gas stations with no gas to sell. Having lived in BC for only 6 years maybe this has happened multiple time but where I live the longest line-ups that I've seen is at Costco and it has not been because of a supply issue but because they were selling gas for $1.35 while down the street it was $1.47 and $1.49 at the two closest stations and two weeks prior to that everyone was selling it for $1.57. Such wide and crazy swings is more involved than a supply issue when all stations are still pumping gas. I did see that Superstore in Langford was out of regular gas for a day about a week ago but I would contend that this was more a scheduling issue on someones part rather than a supply issue, especially with all other surrounding stations were flat out,,,,,,but I could be wrong..

The oil and gas market is international and trades worldwide to the second. Gasoline is a traded commodity...If you could figure out why any commodity does what it does on the market you could be a millionaire.

Taxes and the fact we are paying it. Profisher had a great idea a while back about a targeted boycott campaign....a different chain every day or was it week?

Back