Gas hedge trimmer

Kildonan

I’m considering a gas powered hedge trimmer. I’ll only use it two days a year likely but I have some heavy stuff to get through (laurel bush). Who has one, which brand and what do you think? Will one of those cheaper can tire ones suffice or do I go straight to the Stihl or Husky?

Either or is good, especially for the amount you are going to use it. I ran a Stihl weed eater for years until I finally wore it out and for the last 5 years I’ve been running a Husky from CT and it’s been a reliable little machine. We use ours a LOT, we maintain a huge yard I probly go through 5 spools of heavy gauge line in a summer just to give you an idea of my usage and the engine and components are holding up just fine.

I’m considering a gas powered hedge trimmer. I’ll only use it two days a year likely but I have some heavy stuff to get through (laurel bush). Who has one, which brand and what do you think? Will one of those cheaper can tire ones suffice or do I go straight to the Stihl or Husky?

I just bought one. Get a stihl.

I thought about getting a cheaper one, but more power is better and no chord.

I use a Stihl but there are a lot of good quality hedge clippers out there Echo, Shindaiwa etc. . As an aside laurels are supposed to be pruned by hand to avoid the ugly partially cut leaves that turn brown. Having said that I used a gas hedge clipper because I don’t have time to hand prune all the branches and Im not a purist.I also find the trimmer handy for keeping paths clear and a bunch of other things. If you do decide to buy and I’m not sure I would if only using it twice a year, just avoid the real cheap ones they don’t last.

The Stihl equipment I have keeps on running year after year. Use ethanol free gas and it will be trouble free.

https://m.en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Product...ium-Ion-Hedge-Trimmers/22120-1590/HLA-65.aspx

I'm gonna buck the gas guys and suggest this cordless. I got one a couple years ago and it's the bomb. The adjustable head lets me reach the top from the ground on my 7' plus hedges. I have half and acre with hedges on 3 sides and it uses about 1/3 of a battery for the whole job. The batteries, Chargers and tools are all sold separately, last year we added a trimmer that has more than enough power to run .080 string and it out does the 49cc 2 stroke CT version I had before. Weed whacking is 25% of a battery. Next toy will be a chainsaw, they claim 45 minutes on the size battery I have. It'll be perfect for camping. I'd do it all again for sure, cordless is great for seasonal tools.

Hedge trimmer or weed eater? Bought a troy-built 4 cycle weed eater 8 years ago for on my 2 acer property. Added the brush trimmer and roto tiller as well. Used it alot over the years and still going strong. We also planted a Leland cypress hedge about that time which is now trimmed to 14 feet high and 250 ft long which I trimmed with a electric hedge trimmer run by generator at first. Now that it is where I want it, a battery hedge trimmer is all I need to maintain it every year. Hedgers are generally used on smaller sized branches, finger size. Don't be afraid to look at battery run tools now as well, they are getting stronger and lasting longer. Use battery blowers and trimmers mostly now to keep things up. More battery amps more power. After a heavy wind storm out come the chain saws, etc.
Hope this helps.

There will never be another battery powered piece of crap implement in my yard. We bought a top of the line Yardworx 2 years ago from CT for the wife because she has a hard time with the Husky gas trimmer. That piece of crap can’t even do a 1/4 of the yard and it’s dead, a complete waste of money.

I second renting one? I bought a roto tiller. Run it a couple hours a year then it sits. Wish I thought about renting it

Yes, this is the one I was looking at.

I have a 30 year old stihl chainsaw that I’ve put a shitload of hours on and it still runs like a champ.

Yeah this new house we are at has many hedges and shrubs. Lots overgrown. I dont need the big extension one. I need it a lot so it worth buying. I have stihl trimmer last 5 years and it's been very reliable.

I almost bought the powerhead. That's a good option because you can buy all the attachments over time. Just was beyond my budget.

There will never be another battery powered piece of crap implement in my yard. We bought a top of the line Yardworx 2 years ago from CT for the wife because she has a hard time with the Husky gas trimmer. That piece of crap can’t even do a 1/4 of the yard and it’s dead, a complete waste of money.

Try the new good stuff! We had a the same experience with a CT cordless trimmer, wouldn’t do 1/4 of this yard, this Stihl stuff I mentioned is saw shop only not the second tier CT junk. The batteries were like $230 each and $130 or so for the charger. I just compared the specs of the yardworks to the Stihl and it’s zero wonder why our experiences with cordless were so different. GLG and Agentaqua would be so proud of me.

Try the new good stuff! We had a the same experience with a CT cordless trimmer, wouldn’t do 1/4 of this yard, this Stihl stuff I mentioned is saw shop only not the second tier CT junk. The batteries were like $230 each and $130 or so for the charger. I just compared the specs of the yardworks to the Stihl and it’s zero wonder why our experiences with cordless were so different. GLG and Agentaqua would be so proud of me.

Lol,, I’m sure they would be. But that in itself is incentive for myself never to own them lol.

x3 on the rental. or just be friends with @Ugly Betty.
he is a professional arborist who just did a bang up job on my massive laurel hedge in exchange for a ling trip.

The decent Stihl trimmer is gonna be minimum $700. the battery ones are garbage. I went in to C+L Rentals which sells stuff as well, with the intention of dropping $700 on a hedge trimmer. the salesman said “why? just rent one from us for $20 per day. rent it on a saturday, we closed sunday, return it monday for a one day rental. he said it’s one of their rentals they have to maintain and sharpen the most.
Being cheap, this resonated with me and i said. yep that’s what i’m doing

Last edited:
Have nine years on a Stihl fs90, Have not had to too do anything but put gas in the thing. Can do all you may want to do with a weed whacker and not kill you in the process.

Back