Gas Burp while filling

RogersonCrusoe

Hi guys,

I have the privilege to own my first internal fuel tank - which is an amazing feeling and saves much back muscle hauling tanks in and out of the boat to fill.

However, in most cases while filling, the auto shut off doesn't shut off in time and fuel burps and rockets out of the filler and soaks my hand, gunwale and any innocent bystanders. I've tried slowing the flow but to no avail.

Any helpful tricks and tips?

Thanks!

i can usually hear it gurgle and i know to slow it down cause its getting close to filling. i have found the auto shut off never works so stop it after i hear the gurgling sound.

Your vent is not big enough. My old boat did this.
Increase diameter of tank vent for the full run and exit, or fill the last quarter of the tank very slowly.
Fuel barges can turn down flow rate on their fuel delivery.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try next time I'm at the pumps, and will look at the vent on the tank.
But with the price being so high I don't think I'll be filling it completely each time ;)

When I fill my built in tank at the fuel dock I find that it is worth slowing the flow rate when you know you must be getting close and listening to the sound at the filler cap assembly as the fuel begins to come up the filler hose. The sound will go up in pitch quickly signalling you to shut it off before you get a spray- you need to be fast. However the spray on an overfill should not come out of the filler assembly, at least it does not on my boat. If I were to put the fuel in very fast at full pressure and end up with a short spray release it would be at the vent release through the hull at the front end of the tank/boat and even then the spray would be very slight. This has almost never happened and only when I was badly not paying attention. Gong Show may have the answer for you.

I have almost the same boat as you, a model 2200 Glasply and I bet it has the same factory vent system.
You may want to check the vent outlet to see if it is clogged. Bugs like to build cocoons in it etc. in the off season or salt/dirt/corrosion builds up and that would stop the air releasing from the tank fast enough as fuel replaces it.

I don't like to have my boat electrical power turned on when fueling but if nothing else works you could have someone monitor the fuel gauge and yell when it is almost full.

Last edited:
Keep a rag wrapped around the fill hole when you're pumping. All boats do this. I know the sound to listen for but if I'm not careful with my Grady it blows back as well. In Vancouver most gas stations give you a thing that looks like a diaper to wrap around the fill hole.

^^this^^
as pescador says, my Grady did the same thing, you learn to listen to the flow and recognize the backflow coming, but yes wrap the nozzle with an absorbent pad to catch any back flow

My trophy did this, in till I replaced my vent fitting on the outside of the boat, the screen was all clogged with dirt etc. Replaced it and never had a problem again, it’s a good place to start !!

What shape is the internal tank? If it’s long and narrow like mine is you have to be dead level or I fight blow back constantly. I keep my tank 150L topped all the time so my refuels aren’t big, I really slow the fill rate which is a bit tedious but I can eliminate blow back entirely with just a little extra time at the pump.

I have a fuel meter hooked up to my Lowrance and it is very accurate in telling me how much is left in the tank, usually within 5 liters or less. If you use that as your gauge you can slow down when you get close to the number on the meter.

My Hourston will barf gas if I'm not careful too. The fill for the tank is to starboard while the overflow is directly opposite to port so even if it is working there's no way I can see it and the rules state no one can be on board during filling. Not sure why they built mine like that but I just do the same as other and have learned to listen carefully after the $300 mark which I guess will be $400 this season...

As others have mentioned with a long tank along the keel line having the tank flat helps which in our case works best when it is fueled while sitting in the water at a fuel dock rather than on a trailer.

The few times I have had an issue over the years is because I was day dreaming. I suspect some boats are better than others for this issue and we are lucky to currently have a boat that is probably more resistant than most to filler back spray. Our filler hose is rather long so that probably gives us more time than most to hear and react to the difference in sound pitch as fuel travels up it.

Given we all use our boats for fishing, avoiding this issue helps with that objective. A rag or pad will help control a spray but who wants a gas soaked stinky rag on the boat or gas sprayed all over your hands that tends to stay with you. I can't imagine transferring that gas stink to your fishing gear, especially the terminal flashers and tackle does much to improve the fishing.

I turn the battery on and watch the fuel gauge. Stop at F. No problems. It might not top it off all the way but no sloppage. :):D

I turn the battery on and watch the fuel gauge. Stop at F. No problems. It might not top it off all the way but no sloppage. :):D

I suggested the same thing earlier for those who have difficulty fueling up without spraying. However as someone else suggested, that would involve having someone on the boat who is monitoring the fuel gauge and in most cases and certainly with my boat you cannot see the small gauge at the far side of the main helm forward on the other side of the boat from the filler assembly. I send the crew out of the boat and a little away from it when fueling so that in the extremely unlikely event that it were to all go boom, I would be the only one caught in the fireball.
I have also noticed that the fuel dock operator passes you the filler hose and then walks off a ways till you are finished pumping in the gas - smart man.

Last edited:
i guess my boat is small enough to see. A 20' trophy is no problem.

First thing they ask me at my gas station on the Fraser is if the ignition is turned off before they start pumping fuel

The main docks I use are Chevron in coal harbor and Secret Cove marina. Both have rules that no one can be on board during fueling and the battery switch needs to be off which makes perfect sense to me. I also test my blower with a sheet of full scrap often to make sure air is flowing properly.

I pulled 2 guys out of the water in Horseshoe Bay a life time ago when their boat caught fire at the gas dock and they cut it loose. It was freaky watching the boat burn to the waterline so I'm super paranoid about fumes

I suggested the same thing earlier for those who have difficulty fueling up without spraying. However as someone else suggested, that would involve having someone on the boat who is monitoring the fuel gauge and in most cases and certainly with my boat you cannot see the small gauge at the far side of the main helm forward on the other side of the boat from the filler assembly. I send the crew out of the boat and a little away from it when fueling so that in the extremely unlikely event that it were to all go boom, I would be the only one caught in the fireball.
I have also noticed that the fuel dock operator passes you the filler hose and then walks off a ways till you are finished pumping in the gas - smart man.
I have my boat on a trailer, so it's fuel that's burped on dry ground (better?). In other boats, I turn the ignition on and watch the gauge. However, my oil warning alarm turns on if the key is on but the boat isn't started and it is AWFUL. So often I take a couple steps to the ignition and check for a brief second.

My tank is a steel rectangular one - running down the centerline of the boat. It's in ok shape, but is on my list of things to replace in the next couple years. The inlet is in the back left of the tank, very close to the vent - so I'm going to clean it all out real good this weekend and be more patient :

I am changing my breather hose and thru hull fitting. Clogged up and hose was bad. I could smell gas in the cabin and had the filling issue as well.

Back