Garmin vs Navionics charts....

Enniberg

I have learned that Garmin has acquired Navionics. Whether that means that Garmin charts will start looking like Navionics, or the other way around, I don't know, but I hope it is the former.

those of you on here who are using Garmin - do you like the look of their charts? Personally I find it is a real struggle to switch from Navionics becuse contours are generally hardly recognizable on a Garmin - nothing looks the same.

Is it just me?

I’m also trying to wrap my head around what the mobile navionics is doing. It won’t let me map routes etc and says I need to upgrade for $10. But it say I can’t do that now either :(
Computers... the only thing in the world that I’m worse at than fishing!

So I went to a Garmin Session at the Vancouver Boat show today. Garmin did purchase Navionics and is combining the 2 charting systems into one called Garmin G3 charts.
Available in the next few months on new systems and available as an upgrade too. Jeff from Pacific Yacht Systems said this is huge and will create very accurate maps with more bottom contours based on twice the data.

So I went to a Garmin Session at the Vancouver Boat show today. Garmin did purchase Navionics and is combining the 2 charting systems into one called Garmin G3 charts.
Available in the next few months on new systems and available as an upgrade too. Jeff from Pacific Yacht Systems said this is huge and will create very accurate maps with more bottom contours based on twice the data.

Good info!

I am tempted to buy the Garmin if the charts are merged and become available as an update. Garmin seems to offer more for the money on the hardware side.

I've used both the Lowrance and the Garmin products extensively for sounding/chart plotting. I'll share my experience and opinions on the pros/cons of each:

Lowrance Pros:
1/ Has more extensive database than Garmin wrt soundings/areas, but Garmin is slowly catching-up,
2/ Once you upload your sounding log (and pay a modest monthly subscription fee for Insight/Genesis) - you have much more ability to play with the data and produce much more informative maps than Garmin,
3/ Fairly user-friendly chart plotter/sounder as compared to Garmin

Lowrance Cons:
1/ Slightly more expensive than Garmin products,
2/ Doesn't update your contours in real-time like Garmin,
3/ Uploading your sonar logs requires larger mini-SDs and takes time.
4/ You can only record sonar logs and upload them with the newest versions of Lowrance products.
5/ It will only punch-out contours for your favorite harbours to download to your chartplotter using a restrictive export that requires your to identify each individual chartplotter

Garmin Pros:
1/ Decent hardware as pointed-out by other posters,
2/ Updates contours in real time.

Garmin Cons:
1/ Not as user-friendly as Lowrance wrt trying to figure-out options wrt sounder and transducer functions,
2/ The real-time contour revision requires very tight transect sounding tracks (like 50 feet or less) or it produces gaps and the contour plotting looks goofy and unrealistic unless you have really tight transects.
3/ You can't play with how wide your transect widths are and how realistic the contours are - unlike Lowrance/Genesis.

The transducers abilities are comparable between the 2 brands - if you can figure-out how to work your transducer and frequencies using the Garmin - which is more challenging, IMHO.

In short - if it is deeper and/or the areas you wish to map are larger - use a Lowarnce verses a Garmin product. That way you can change the widths on your transects (online using Insight Genesis and upload and download to your newer chartplotter) and produce more realistic contours w/o all the blank areas and clunky contours generated by the Garmin product.

I think if I could be confident that a Garmin purchased today will be compatible with the future chart will come out of merging with Navionics, it would be an easy choice. Based on what Sir Reel heard at the show, this will be the case, but none of the dealers I spoke with seem to know anything to that effect.....

So according to most of the Garmin resellers there they say Garmin is the easiest and most intuitive to use. Especially touch screen.
Another interesting point is Garmin started in aviation where devices have to be ultra reliable and safe to use. They carried that aviation technology and experience into marine devices.

Not to say anything bad about other products. I have had many Lowrance products that have worked great.

So according to most of the Garmin resellers there they say Garmin is the easiest and most intuitive to use. Especially touch screen.
Another interesting point is Garmin started in aviation where devices have to be ultra reliable and safe to use. They carried that aviation technology and experience into marine devices.

Not to say anything bad about other products. I have had many Lowrance products that have worked great.

I ended up purchasing the Garmin after visiting the official Garmin booth at the show. The Garmin rep told me that the new chart which merges the best features of Garmin with the best features of Navionics will be out next month and units purchased now come with one free chart upgrade to be used within 12 months.

Garmin already has a plotter loaded with the new charts at the show and I was able to compare it side by side with a Garmin that is running the current charts - it looked very good!

Here is the official info. In short, the detail on the two different maps will be combined.

Garmin announced a new line of cartography products featuring the best of Navionics and Garmin content at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show. The new products include BlueChart g3 / BlueChart g3 Vision cartography for Europe and North America, and new LakeVü g3 / LakeVü g3 Ultra lake maps for the U.S. and Canada. They will be available for purchase on accessory cards and via download for existing customers. In the U.S. and Canada, the new charts will also be preloaded on the new Garmin GPSMAP 8600/8600 xsv series multifunction displays.

Read the Garmin press release.

A win for every boater. Since Garmin and Navionics came together in 2017, the companies continue to compare and combine the best of their data and technology to produce superior cartography products. This means that both new and updated Navionics and Garmin products will offer a wealth of data built by the world leaders in cartography. Together, they are working to make sure future innovations provide customers with the most highly detailed cartography available on the water.

GET UPDATED CHARTS

For Garmin owners:
To get the latest Garmin coastal charts and inland maps with integrated Navionics data, Garmin owners can upgrade their cartography to BlueChart g3, BlueChart g3 Vision, LakeVü g3 and LakeVü g3 Ultra via accessory card or download. Learn more.

For Navionics owners:
Navionics cartography featuring integrated Garmin data, is released as available in new cartography products and via download with daily updates.

Just looking at the update prices for Navionics charts online. If I’m reading it right the annual cost has gone up considerably.

Back