Garmin G2 Cards

Copper Moon

I am looking to buy an inexpensive gps/sonar next week. I had been focused on Garmin units since I have always been happy with the units purchased in the past. When I was down at Harbour Chandler, they cautioned me about the level of detail available on the Garmin cards. I went online to check it out and it appears to me that the G2 and G2 Vision cards lack a significant amount of detailed coverage depending upon the area of interest.

For example, the card has Vancouver Island chart 3001 (1:525,000) as its starting point. From there it seems to skip right through charts like Georgia Strait (3512 & 3513). It does provide detailed coverage for many areas like Approaches to Nanaimo (3458) and Desolation (3538) etc. but there is no detailed coverage of the Nanoose area (3459), Discovery (3539), or Broughton Strait (3546).

Does anyone have any experience with these cards and is able to confirm or correct me on this? If this is correct, I find these cards and therefore the Garmin units to be unacceptable for a lot us.
Thanks

Back