Garage With Boat Storage... Let’s See ‘Em!

Stizzla

Crew Member
Im planning for a detached garage to house my boat (also planning for a bigger boat on the future).
I would like a bay for a custom car as well. Also Looking for a workout area, and either more storage or a cool little seating area to chill and drink beer.
Whattaya got? If you don’t want to post here for Privacy, please pm me.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Sounds like the Stizzla Yacht club in the works complete with drinking lounge , work out area , just need a dance pole and I’ll buy a membership.....;)

Im planning for a detached garage to house my boat (also planning for a bigger boat on the future).
I would like a bay for a custom car as well. Also Loking for a workout area, and either more storage or a cool little seating wares to chill and drink beer.
Cheers!

This is something that I am considering as well, can't wait to see the replies, pictures please!

@Stizzla
Now you’re back on the forum again and asking people for design ideas. Could you not finish the garage and post some pics for other guys to see? Don’t you understand that we are hibernating at this time of year and saving the brain cells for the summer fishing BS? :D

Joakin aside, it’s good to see you kicking around again....

Pictures of my set up are on the hobbies outside of fishing thread I won’t bore the site with putting them up again. Never can have to much room build as big as allowed and fits in your budget. You can save loads of money doing as much work as you can by yourself. My building was a package that I had put up, construction was part of the package price. I had the pad poured by a contractor and the wiring done. The rest I did by myself. I insulated the walls and rented a blow in unit and blew in the ceiling insulation. Sheeted the whole thing myself the roof I had the son and wife help. Finished off the electrical fixtures and hung the heater on my own then just brought in the gas fitter to pipe in the gas line. In all I saved around 30-40 grand doing this work myself. At the time I built, shops in our area we’re costing around $60.00/sq ft I built mine for $36.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...our-favorite-hobby-s.73050/page-5#post-918354

I would like a bay for a custom car as well. Also Loking for a workout area, and either more storage or a cool little seating wares to chill and drink beer.
Cheers!
I can see I should have got into the flooring business instead of being a fishing bum. A custom car is the best !

As far as garages go we have an attached. This is the cigar smoking hang out room when the friends come over. Never been a car in it, it’s basically my den. We built in a second kitchen in it that we do our canning and odds and ends in, it’s nice to have the extra stove and oven when entertaining, something you may want to consider in your new digs. I went with a vaulted ceiling to allow room for mounts in the future I may want to put up. Again vaulted ceilings can offer some extra room at minimal cost when it comes to the construction side.

Attachments

• 60DF4BC4-345D-4E10-8B84-E8AB00FD106E.jpeg
    60DF4BC4-345D-4E10-8B84-E8AB00FD106E.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 311
  • D2B6AA4B-41B2-4503-A64A-99D6160B5427.jpeg
    D2B6AA4B-41B2-4503-A64A-99D6160B5427.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 300
  • E8D4C4A5-3483-4A62-BB29-226808FA2248.jpeg
    E8D4C4A5-3483-4A62-BB29-226808FA2248.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 4F8592F0-BA60-4E54-9289-A6B2467085AA.jpeg
    4F8592F0-BA60-4E54-9289-A6B2467085AA.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 298
I can see I should have got into the flooring business instead of being a fishing bum. A custom car is the best !
Just planning for down the road. I will be building the garage myself and likely the car too :)
Is would be silly to build a garage in our long term home and not build it big enough. Likely 25’x40’

If your going to go 25 go 28 or even 32. 25 is not a computable construction size, know what I mean ? If you have to rip a sheet of plywood to fit it in it’s ruined so you save no money anyways. Also your outside studs will be, well should be on a 16” center so use this as your math. 28’ is 336”so 336” dev by 16” is an even size on your outside studs again you will need the stud anyways may as well use the extra room.

Last edited:
If your going to go 25 go 28 or even 32. 25 is not a computable construction size, know what I mean ? If you have to rip a sheet of plywood to fit it in it’s ruined so you save no money anyways.
There you go. Now we’re getting somewhere!

Make sure you build it with the highest garage door opening space you can in case you get a bigger boat with a cabin and a radar arch etc.. If so, and on a trailer you'll be looking at wanting about 14' clearance if you can. Gives about a foot of extra space or so when going in and out of the garage.

I have a garage on another site other than my house. It is 30x40 feet. I lucked into it. The garage door height mentioned above is KEY. My doors are 16’. My trailered trophy 2002 with Samson tower only has 12” to spare and now I’m wanting to put a radar on the boat. Troubles.

I rent the other bay out to my friend @Tailwalker.

I built a loft in the back for storage.

I have a lot much closer to my residence on which I will be building another garage. This will be 48 x 50 to sneak in under our codes for neighbor approval. Planning on three bays, bathroom, hose bib x 2 for quick boat cleanup. The 50’ length will just allow my truck and boat to be stored in a single bay.

Mine isn’t/won’t be a man cave as its off site, but will allow easier and more frequent fishing excursions. Will once again rent out the extra bays.

Hb

These are some pics that are giving some inspiration. Thanks for the tips guys.
664FCACB-5B0E-4AF6-8720-EC1E058983C8.png35989750-EFE6-4AF2-A763-42DDB710B44D.png
The carport in the bottom drawing would be sufficient for my truck and tool trailer, and cut down on costs.

I like that car port idea, coverage without the cost and it could always be closed in and finished at a later date if wanted.

Custom-Garage-Layouts-True-Built-Home-Pacific.jpg

33_20161230103338_3483813_medium.jpg

2253a.jpg

IMG_8848-charcoal_siding.jpg

images

rv-garage-plans-amazing-chic-5-home-with-garage-plans-detached-motor-garages-the-plan-shop-rv-garage-plans-canada.jpg

We built our triple garage to house the boat as opposed to a separate shop which was going to cost a fortune..this way the boat is attached to house for easy access and we put in floor heat in the garage as well. It’s 36 feet deep with a 12 ft door. Fits my Grady White Gulfstream that 9’3 beam and with pod and pulpit is 31 ft long.

Attachments

• 888FEB80-D6AB-4D0D-B300-AA450F677343.jpeg
    888FEB80-D6AB-4D0D-B300-AA450F677343.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 198
Back