Galvanizing paint

Hey all, I'm re-doing a galvanized trailer and was going to paint it. Has anyone used galvanizing paint and how does it hold up?
What's the difference between hot and cold galvanized?
Appreciate your comments.

The stuff does not work well around here. Rust comes through if the paint is disturbed. The paint is too soft and will rub off with normal wear. I have seen it used on wheels and trailers and I would not use it. You might just want to get some brush on tremclad rust paint. Thin it down a bit and do 2 or 3 coats. Don’t expect any miracles, as trailers will get rust no matter what.
Me , what did I do? I bought a new trailer.

Whoa… I am thinking here!
BBQ… heat resistant… galvanized. There is a paint out there, that I used, that works “good”!

For the life of me... can't remember!

It was recommended for BBQs and engines. I know, it was heat resistant and did state it could be used with rust and corrosion I first bought it in charcoal black) and used it on my BBQ. I bought it in “galvanized” and spayed some areas on my trailer… the color wasn’t a perfect match, but it did end my rust and corrosion problems on the trailer!

The hot galvanizing process involves immersing metal in liquid zinc, the zinc coats all surfaces and the rusting stops (the zinc is sacraficial to the steel). Many companies advertize that they have zinc rich paint (both as primer or as a topcoat) but the amount of zinc in them is negligible compared to the zinc laid down in hot dip process. As a local galvanized told me "We have more zinc stuck to our windows that is in that paint". Even on surfaces that get pelted with gravel we still don't have any rust.

If you have a painted trailer, I'd suggest you disassemble it, get the paint profesionally blasted off, bring it to a galvanizer to have it dipped and then reassemble with new hardware. I did this to my brothers trailer about 15 yrs ago and have had no rust since. The only parts you can't coat are the springs and the axle (the machined surfaces get buggered up by the layer of zinc).

Hopefully that helps.
Zeke

Tested the "Walters" zinc paint which is quite shiny and chrome like looking and it does not seem to want to stick too well. Just rubs off without too much effort. Then I tested the Tremclad 'galvinising' from Home Despair. Works great so far. Sticks well, looks good, and is half the price of the Walter's for a bigger can.
Going with that!:)

Back