Fur set to fly at Nanaimo open house

can't wait to get my boat seats done.

It’s Almost prohibitively expensive and not desired enough by people with disposable income.

Would of liked to have a blanket till I seen the price

There's a reason they make mukluks outta seal. waterproof. Comes in many natural colours... eco-friendly even... salmon-friendly - even more important...
one piece sea lion!!

I’m no expert on this, but why include sea otter in this? The inclusion of sea otter seems to weaken the position of helping salmon by harvesting seals and sea lions.

I am certainly in favor of reducing the seal and sea lion populations which go largely unchecked, but I’m not aware of a sea otter population problem.

They should also be bringing attention to winter steelhead stocks that are in part being devastated by seals coming way up rivers when there is no salmon to help shield them from predation. Also I agree sea otters should not be included in this, they are more crustacean eaters than salmon eaters and their numbers aren't nearly big enough to be affecting stocks even if they were.

I’m no expert on this, but why include sea otter in this? The inclusion of sea otter seems to weaken the position of helping salmon by harvesting seals and sea lions.

I am certainly in favor of reducing the seal and sea lion populations which go largely unchecked, but I’m not aware of a sea otter population problem.
Just because you are not aware doesn’t mean it’s not there. The sea otters have been rapidly expanding north. They clean out the urchin and duck beds.

Just because you are not aware doesn’t mean it’s not there. The sea otters have been rapidly expanding north. They clean out the urchin and duck beds.

like I said, I’m no expert.

Also like others have said, throwing otter into this seems like a PR problem waiting to happen...now they’re are watering down the salmon protection goal with seal and sea lion control with this issue to save commercial divers? I get the problem, but it just discredits the reason for wanting to control seals and sea lions....in my obviously uninformed non-commercial fisherman opinion.

Last edited:
thanks AA, I read the article.
whale watchers seem like simple minded types, and obstructionists.
"because the ecosystem takes care of itself." and "everyone is looking for a silver bullet."

Ya Goat - the "because the ecosystem takes care of itself" quote was particularly galling and hypocritical - why rescue seals & seal pups if "the ecosystem takes care of itself"?? Why are we helping the SRKW if "the ecosystem takes care of itself"?? Hypocrites...

Last edited:
I don't think they will be able to stop frankly. Whale watching association is not as powerful of FN groups right now.

With UNDRIP in place I can see this being used as a bargaining tool . Don't think it will be on very large scale, but something I think is going to happen.

Back