Fugly-2 -Less Fugly-The rebirth of a Legend...

Thanks guys, mounted the kicker this afternoon,
ef21b9d40942f30e4b251f50eb97a26f.jpg
it sits a ways back going to make remote steering tricky.. Anyone have any input on a remote steering set up i think i might have to go that route ..
80097c4caa65e9aad7f4395211976d09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't help you with the remote steering issue but I can say that's a sexy looking unit you have there. What about attaching the steering unit to the front of the motors. I seen a thread somewhere on the site, where they built a bracket off the front off the main motor and trolling motor. Then they connected the steering arm on the front instead of the back. You just might have to build your bracket a little longer on your kicker. Hard to tell from your pictures if that would work.

Thanks guys, I went all out n bought the Kicker I should have bought last year, there was just not enough room on the transom to sqweek it in beside the main so a bracket was my only option. im thinking an electro-steer might my only option, a rod would be to long and bind by the looks of it..

You may have to go outside on the main for the steering linkage Jeff. For control Merc makes a tiller extension handle if needed.

I'm still blown away that that guy donated that mount to your project without you even knowing or meeting him. Kudos to the brother welder :cool:.

I think an E.Z. Steer linkage bar would work for you Jeff. The one that the brackets mount on the legs with rubber sleeves and gear clamps.

I was looking at the e.z steer linkage today , pretty tough to attach the bar on the water by the looks of it but might be an option

If you take the centering straps off the kicker you might be able to leave the ez-steer connected with the kicker tilted up. Or use a steering cable to connect the kicker to the main.

Intellisteer worked pretty good for me all last summer Jeffry. It's a pretty simple set up to install, motor, relay box with a bit of wire to run and a cable that goes from motor to the tilt tube of the kicker. Wireless remote steering, the motor seems strong but it is a liitle slow to react, but I fished the cap all season with no issues and I think when I switch to a extra long leg it will work really well. The remote went through batteries and it was a strange expensive battery. I have been told this issue is now corrected with a new remote. Worked way better than the panther and my friend at western marine recommend intelli over the gotez. I think the full set up would cost around 700

I think ez steer will work. I used it on my Arima where the kicker is mounted on the sponson out beyond the sponson. Just make sure you get the right length.

That's what I did.......

With the motor tilted all the way up the straps keep the kicker from flopping left or right, no more having to put a ratchet strap on the motor to hold it right or left during a runout or trailering .. I really like that option on the pro-kicker..

The straps keep the kicker up right. By removing them and leaving your steering system linked your kicker won't flop around unless your main is flopping around.

I run the panther tie bar on the front of mine and never have to touch it. Either engine, any position. 1 up/1 down, both up or both down. Took awhile to get it bent perfect so I had full tilt range on both with no inference while steering. Don't remember the price but pretty sure it's well under $100.

Thanks big.griff, i have the panther tie bar set up from last year but my buddy figs the 14" offset of the transom will make the tie bar not work.., i would just have to buy a new piece of stainless ready rod which would be the cheapest but the 14" offset and the height of the kicker is quite a bit higher then where it links to the main motor's steering bar. Here is another pic to show the extreme height difference..
ed1d7cbc60d759abdbadf517c7e2d981.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty Much impossible to use a steering bar out front, we re- used existing holes from the previous kicker bracket, going to put the boat in today but Buzzbomb said it looks good where it is, sits pretty high up but i would rather that then have it submarine on me..
22bd3c457bdb9ec2cbf138bc669383c6.jpg
4485691525198a2706ac4efcbbdfd447.jpg
27948a8c5c37e08ff0d7dd0eaefd554e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back