Fuel Tank Testing

Kisinana

I have a late 90 Campion 542 and today I found about a liter of fuel in the well. I can't see any leaks in lines or the filter so next is to check the tank. I can't see around it and the interior is a one piece. Any ideas on how to check the tank?

Posted - 05/09/2010 : 11:14:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a late 98 Campion 542 and today I found about a liter of fuel in the well. I can't see any leaks in lines or the filter so next is to check the tank. I can't see around it and the interior is a one piece. Any ideas on how to check the tank?

I put the wrong year.

Posted - 05/09/2010 : 11:14:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a late 98 Campion 542 and today I found about a liter of fuel in the well. I can't see any leaks in lines or the filter so next is to check the tank. I can't see around it and the interior is a one piece. Any ideas on how to check the tank?

I put the wrong year.

Fuel in the well or in the bilge?

Fuel in the well or in the bilge?

What material is the tank constructed of aluminium, fiberglass, poly?

when was the boat run last?

have you been running ethanol blended fuel this year?

Gas was in the bilge.
It is an aluminum tank and has been garaged since the end of October.
Was possibly overfilled prior to last trip of October and run down to about 1/4 tank.
Yes there is probably ethanol in the fuel.
Since posting have the other day have pressure tested tank and it tests fine.
Washed out bilge area and dried. Tested all lines and filter and had a discussion with a guy who had overfilled a tank and it leaked through gasket at the sender unit and when tank level dropped tank tested fine? Seems hinky to have a gasket material that swells and leaks, however.
Checked around my sender unit and there is dry red/purple residue possibly from marked fuel around it.
I have now filled it back to 1/2 a tank and parked it back in the garage since I won't be able to use it for another 6 days and then I will check it out again and look for leakage.
If no leaks found I will pull sender and look at replacing gasket.

It is worth keeping in the back of your mind that at some point you will want to replace the tank. Preferably before it starts to leak, which will no doubt be during a summer. It is not a quick fix and the boat would be down for some time. Usually opening up the floor to remove it will expose at least one other issue that will need attention.

Hi Kisinana.

The reason I was asking if you were running ethanol blended fuel is because it is not good for older boats and motors. Most boats built within the last five years use components designed to resist damage from ethanol blended fuel.

The ethanol can breakdown rubber gaskets, fuel lines, fiberglass fuel tanks, and can cause many problems in older boats and engines. As ethanol has only recently been introduced here the problems will be starting to show up soon. This has been a big problem for older boats in the States where ethanol has been mandated for several years.

Back