Fuel Filters

Red Monster

Does anyone have any advice on the best type of fuel filter for a two stroke outboard. I added a small one after the fuel pump right in the motor itself. But I'm wondering about the main filter that separates any water as well as filters the fuel before it reaches the motor.

Any thoughts?

If it matters to the type of filter, I mix the oil in the gas.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Thats a racor filter you are describing i have 2 on my boat one for the main one for the kicker as i have 2 seperate tanks on my boat.

Yeah i do also use one of those filters on my boat.
Strong winds and engine probs, are one of my worst nightmares.

Fish on.

v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
|
|
|
| Best fishes
¿ <°)))><

¿ <°)))>< Kjell-Magne Hansen

<°)))>< Captain@trollingcharter.com

><)))°> Web: www.trollingcharter.com

¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Wolf, how often do you need to change the filter with your Racor setup?

I would think the Racor filter you have is better than the ones that are still sold (and the kind I'm replacing) that don't allow the water to actually drain drain out through a bowl on the bottom of the filter.

I personally change it every 3 months for both but i check the bowl regularly my tanks are new but it all depends on where you get your fuel you would be surprised what you would find in your tank some places have a lot of sh*t in there holding tanks and most places dont have filters on them remember renfrew 2 summers ago and what a sh*t show that was, but that wasnt the marinas fault it was the supplier.
Wolf

Well I agree, you can't really trust the fuel at marinas can you? Their gas could be quite old and/or contaminated, but sometimes you have little choice. It's better when your boat's on a trailer and you can fill up on the road. But I suspect some people actually bring the gas to their boat and bypass the marina fuel altogether, which may not be a bad idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

A local merc dealer wanted to sell me a new motor last year when mine was not running properly. Instead I cleaned the carbs, and the engine ran as good as new. I'm learning that bad fuel and poor filtering can cause some huge problems. I think that paying for the best fuel and lots of filters is far cheaper than paying for engine problems and possible engine failure in the middle of the ocean. I've also been adding fuel stablilizer with all my gas.

Back