Friends of the Cowichan want you off their river

searun

Between them, the group of veteran anglers have more than 200 years of experience fishing the Cowichan River – and they think that gives them the right to tell the government how the river on southern Vancouver Island should be managed.
It’s hard to argue otherwise because the group, which gathered for a formative meeting on the banks of the Cowichan last week, represents an astonishing collection of wisdom.
[h=4]MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY[/h]

David Anderson was there, a former federal fisheries minister. For many years he was the environmental conscience of the government led by the late Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

So was Bob Hooton, who was perhaps British Columbia’s most eminent (and certainly most outspoken) steelhead biologist when he retired in 2008, after 37 years of exemplary government service.
Another member of the group was retired conservation officer, Gary Horncastle. He once tried to save an elk that was tangled in barbed wire by giving it CPR. The elk died, but the fact that Mr. Horncastle tried to revive a seven-point bull, weighing more than 350 kilograms, tells you something about his character. He’s no quitter, that’s for sure.
And neither is Joe Saysell, the retired fishing guide who has spent his entire life on the Cowichan, and who convened the group at his home because he felt his beloved river was in dire need of help.
“I’ve been watching the fish stocks on this river go down for a decade. It’s time we did something about this,” he said.
Mr. Saysell, with 60 years of experience on the river, knows the Cowichan better than anyone and has spent much of his adult life fighting to protect it. His efforts are largely responsible for the green corridor that lines both banks of the upper river.
“I wanted to get a small, influential, knowledgeable group together. A group that would put fish first, and wouldn’t be afraid to speak out,” he said. “We’ve got to get away from that old concept of managing [the resource] for the fishermen. If we manage for the fish, in the end, both the fishermen and the fish are looked after. But if we manage for the fishermen, in the end, the fish lose.”
The group is calling itself, Friends of the Cowichan. But given their collective age and experience, perhaps River Elders might have been a better name.
Sports anglers in B.C. number more than 300,000 and they have no shortage of groups that speak out on their behalf.
But Mr. Saysell said most angler organizations are concerned primarily with providing “more fishing opportunities,” and that means lobbying for fewer gear restrictions and longer fishing seasons.
The Friends of the Cowichan want the opposite.
“We have protected the habitat on this river with the green corridor. Now, the only way left to protect fish is through more stringent fishing regulations,” said Mr. Saysell. “We want to make it harder, not easier, to catch fish.”
That will put him up against groups like the B.C. Wildlife Federation and the B.C. Federation of DriftFishers.
“I never thought that I’d be fighting fishermen, but then I always thought fishermen would put fish first. Sadly, things have changed,” said Mr. Saysell. “Now a lot of fishermen only think about how many fish they can catch. The sport to them is about putting up big numbers, so they can brag to their buddies. And they don’t care how or where they fish.”
Mr. Saysell said he regularly sees anglers fishing over spawning grounds, using eggs for bait, which fish can’t resist. Or he sees anglers using a technique known as “flossing,” in which a long line is drifted through a school of salmon, until it slips into the open mouth of a breathing fish. Then the angler yanks the hook home, snagging the fish on the outside of its mouth.
“There are times and places to fish. The spawning grounds isn’t one of those places,” said Mr. Saysell. “And snagging shouldn’t happen anywhere, ever.”
He said his group hopes to start talking to government officials this week.
It is going to be hard to ignore the Cowichan’s new voice of reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dangerous aspect is that they get attention and support . The rest of us tend to sit on our hands and do nothing.

Remember how we lost the Steelhead Hatchery program on the Cowichan? Remember how the bait ban was imposed?It was the same people .

Well guys you are up against a lot of credible expertise and profile in this group.

But I have two questions.

1) Is the Cowichan fishery in serious decline, as this groups says?

If the answer to 1) is the affirmative, then my second question is,

2) What would you folks do about it?

1. Yes, it is in serious decline.

2. More enforcement of existing rules and regulations, less FN netting and spearing / snagging in the lower delta, habitat restoration....

I fished all over that river in the early 90's including along side the FN down in the delta in cowichan bay. It used to be jam packed with Chum, Coho, Chinook and Pinks from what I can remember. Nets blocking 100% of the river passage, ropes with multiple treble hooks for snagging and spears from bridges and trees. Those salmon never had a chance.

I haven't been back in 10 years but from what I hear it is not in good shape. To say that it is the recreational fisherman that are decimating this river is flatly untrue. It is the poachers, polluters and over harvest by the FN that have caused this.

... To say that it is the recreational fisherman that are decimating this river is flatly untrue. It is the poachers, polluters and over harvest by the FN that have caused this.

True. Combine all of that with the logging practices that created a flood situation on every sky-water event, followed by extremely low water levels nearly immediately thereafter, and current water "management" practices that further this undesirable situation, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Dunno what it will take to bring it back, but will be surprised if I am still kicking if it ever does... :(

Nog

I can certainly say this with absolute certainty. There is no scientific evidence that credibly links the Cowichan decline to recreational sportfishing - and in particular angling methods other than fly fishing. I have to muse a bit at the arrogance suggesting gear anglers created the "lining" method. If Joe knew anything about angling, he would know that "lining" originated on the Fraser for Sockeye because fly fishermen were having amazing success with the method. Now I see and hear the same method is widely in use by some fly anglers, not just gear anglers. A case of the pot calling the kettle black. Time for this group to get a reality pill and wake up to the fact that the answers do not lie in hucking stones at gear types. Watch these guys, their agenda and thinking processes on this issue are dangerous and divisive.

total BS - the guys harassing Steelhead on the reds are the fly fishermen in the upper river. And as searun implied, Fly Fishing is PERFECT for flossing. I've seen a lot of those clowns in goofy hats throwing around 14' leaders on sinking lines with big heavy flies - give me a break.

By the way Jim Teeny a really well known fly fisherman made his living via lining. He really developed heavy head
lines for dragging the bottom.
Was even charged for doing it over springs in the U.S.
Lining was around long before the Fraser the Stamp is a prime example of it being used.
Lining has nothing to do with killing off a run in any river that I am aware of.

I can certainly say this with absolute certainty. There is no scientific evidence that credibly links the Cowichan decline to recreational sportfishing - and in particular angling methods other than fly fishing. I have to muse a bit at the arrogance suggesting gear anglers created the "lining" method. If Joe knew anything about angling, he would know that "lining" originated on the Fraser for Sockeye because fly fishermen were having amazing success with the method. Now I see and hear the same method is widely in use by some fly anglers, not just gear anglers. A case of the pot calling the kettle black. Time for this group to get a reality pill and wake up to the fact that the answers do not lie in hucking stones at gear types. Watch these guys, their agenda and thinking processes on this issue are dangerous and divisive.

The last decade has seen an increase in Steelhead ( anecdotal info as DFO and MOE can not be bothered in doing accurate swim counts) and as it appears an increase in coho ( anecdotal info again as they pull the counting fence a month before the coho run
hit their peak).

Springs are in trouble. DFO has seen the numbers but has done nothing except close the river to gear fishermen until midnight of November 15th each year. They have not looked at a species at risk designation for Cowichan chinook as that would shut down the whole commercial fishery. Because there are only fly fishermen angling above skutz falls there is no need to utilize enforcement resources prior to the November 15th date. ( As we all know, fly fishermen would never floss fish, fish over redds or retain or harass fish).

DFO has an obligation to provide oversight and technical training to the native hatchery in their attempts to raise chinook. However, they appear to have abandoned the natives. The result is a group of well intentioned people trying to raise fish with an antiquated hatchery, no training and no access to best practices approaches. The hatchery staff take the flack that should be going DFO's way.

Yes, there are habitat problems on the river. But the major problem seems to be DFO and MOE not living up to their mandate. But why would we expect them to. DFO has a great history of mismanaging our ocean fish stocks into oblivion. MOE doesn't get any financial return out of a freshwater Salmon /steelhead fishery so why invest the $$$

Please don't think that this is a rant against fly fishermen. I fish the Cowichan on a regular basis and chase Steelhead and coho Salmon with both Drift gear and Fly Gear. That doesn't mean that I am more ethically responsible when I am using a fly rod. My fellow fly fishermen are not without a lot of fault. I routinely encounter morons fly flossing above skutz falls ( Fly gear is way more effective for people who want to floss) and I know several guides who specialize in anchoring just above redds so that their clients will be guaranteed to hook a steelhead.

Once again, these practices can be stopped by consistant enforcement practices and the responsibility for enforcement lies with DFO and MOE.

The problem with the Cowichan isn't gear fishing in the middle and lower river. It is our Federal and Provincial Governments abdicating their responsibilities.

Please don't think that this is a rant against fly fishermen. I fish the Cowichan on a regular basis and chase Steelhead and coho Salmon with both Drift gear and Fly Gear. That doesn't mean that I am more ethically responsible when I am using a fly rod. My fellow fly fishermen are not without a lot of fault. I routinely encounter morons fly flossing above skutz falls ( Fly gear is way more effective for people who want to floss) and I know several guides who specialize in anchoring just above redds so that their clients will be guaranteed to hook a steelhead.

Once again, these practices can be stopped by consistant enforcement practices and the responsibility for enforcement lies with DFO and MOE.

The problem with the Cowichan isn't gear fishing in the middle and lower river. It is our Federal and Provincial Governments abdicating their responsibilities.

Well stated. Time for folks to have an honest look in the mirror. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Too bad the same trashy "Gear Wars" logic that did in the SSBC still clings to life. Hopefully we can all ignore them and they will go away.

When I last checked there was only a small section where baites/lures were allowed.

Back