Freezing smoked salmon

the butcher

Going to do a batch of smoked salmon.. Been way too long since I've made and had some... Extremely frustrated that we can't catch our own right now.... Buying a few from the local grocery store.

I've always vacuum packed smoked salkmon and it stays in fridge for about a week and then it's gone. I've never paced the vacuum bags of smoked salmon into the freezer. How does it take when you take it out of the freezer? Does the thawing process make the salmon meat texture watery and not as tasty?

Last edited:
Going to do a batch of smoked salmon.. Been way too long since I've made and had some... Extremely frustrated that we can't catch our own right now.... Buying 3 salmon from superstore.

I've always vacuum packed smoked salkmon and it stays in fridge for about a week and then it's gone. I've never paced the vacuum bags of smoked salmon into the freezer. How does it take when you take it out of the freezer? Does the thawing process make the salmon meat texture watery and not as tasty?
It freezes very well. I bought some from Superstore too and did this...
20200624_230701.jpg

Tastes great do it all the time in very big batches..... hot smoked and cold smoke it’s all still good after freezing..... I’ve always had a sealer and done this way for years and years now.....never any quality issues.... I’ve also noticed that smoked salmon tastes way better after a few days of the smoke/flavours settling So you might even like it better as you guys are eating it all in under a week.

We
i will be vacuum packing mine in vaccum bags. Does it taste different when thawed out from the freezer?
We just opened up a vacuum pack of smoked Salmon from last year. Still great. I make packs that are sized for a party or a few days use and then it’s like having a fresh batch. All the smoke and sugars probably help keep it fresh. Definitely worth it

Back