Fraser River Sturgeon - Fishing Reports

Finished Business

The sturgeon season is starting to ramp up with more and more boats hitting the water. As of today, July 18 the water is still very high at the Mission Bridge. The river is blown out near the tops of the dikes so it makes navigating the ever changing Fraser a little more difficult. Keep an eye on the sounder as you can go from 60ft to 5ft in a matter of seconds, but this is par for the course on the Fraser.

I will post the various tackle rigs we use shortly...but for now a report will do.

Myself and Trendsetter set out Monday a little later in the evening, launching at 7:30pm. We fished off a logboom at the mouth of the Dewdney Slough. We managed to keep the rods in the water for a solid 1.5hours before dusk fell. With few salmon in the river, and not sure what to use for bait we tossed a salmon belly, and a 2 day old anchovy out on the line. It didn't take long before the anchovy was scooped up, rather agressively by sturgeon standards, and started peeling line. Tied up in only 25 feet of water the fish had to make ground quick. He ran downriver, and then straight up the pipe right to our stern...with a cunning move the fish cut under the log boom and shot skyward through a gap in the boom! Literally ended up half in the water and half on the boom, we had hooked a nice fish, estimated in the 6ft range. After breaching and falling back into the water, the fish broke off and went on its merry way. Surprised as hell that it took on an anchovy but it was a great start to the season.

Tuesday we hit the water earlier, just before 6pm. Lacking an anchor, we looked for another boom to tie to. Due to the high water hardly any of the regular log booms are tied up east of the bridge.
Today we opted to try a piece of herring, and some Oolichans. Oolichans of course were the trick, and we had 2 good bites, with one landed at about 3.5ft.

Will be working this fishery in the coming weeks as the salmon start piling into the river system. In regards to salmon, saw some early runners jumping around but word is the mass is still a couple weeks out.

I am in no way an expert at this fishery but if people have questions, I, and I'm sure others with knowledge will do our best to answer them.

Get fishing, TIGHT LINES!

-FB-

There is a lot of debris coming down the river. Anyone fishing Sturgeon should be very aware of the risks imposed by this debris, especially at anchor in the river. We have had full 100+ foot trees snag on the anchor line when fishing. Be prepared to either toss your anchor bouy over and retrieve after once the tree has passed over. I have heard on more than 1 occasion of boats sinking in the river for this reason. When a big tree knocks into your anchor line the momentum created by the river puts extreme pressure on your anchor line, and will force the bow of the boat underwater, in the worst case.

What looks like a stick poking inches above the water has proved us wrong many times, when in fact it is a full scale tree. Respect this body of water like any!! They don't call it the MIGHTY FRASER for nothing.

Best time of year is when the sturgeons main food source, salmon, are filling the main river and it's tributaries. The hottest time seems to be as the chum run is coming to its peak/end. Sturgeon can be caught year round, but when salmon show, so do the big boys. Boats have been fishing successfully since at least May, my best guess would say Aug Sept Oct are going to be the best months.

as far as bait, use filets/roe from whichever salmon is running at that time for best results.

Judging by the picture it looks like it was taken on the southern shore just south of the vedder river mouth... That is one big goddamn honking fish. You usually see a photo like that with 4 other anglers in the picture...Impressive this couple brought it up themselves...or more than likely the fish brought them to him! WOW

Judging by the picture it looks like it was taken on the southern shore just south of the vedder river mouth... That is one big goddamn honking fish. You usually see a photo like that with 4 other anglers in the picture...Impressive this couple brought it up themselves...or more than likely the fish brought them to him! WOW

Pretty sure the guide would have had to spell the client off.

Sturgeon are strong but not that strong-keep the pressure up and if he doesn't find a snag you've got him.

Why??? an hr and a 1/2 is something that the client could certainly handle.. I would be pissed if the guide even touched the rod after i had initial control of the fish..

Really, ever landed a 12 footer by yourself? Ever fished Sturgeon? My biggest was eight, and I was 40 years old and in decent shape and I was looking for the 'Mangina' after 20 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the ladz...took an 8fter last year....45minutes later with a dash of cussin' and it was boatside. The REAL test of strength is, whats the biggest fish 'landed' boatside without breaking off from anchor.

That fish was a hell of a catch. All the more reason for folks like us to try an go for 12'9".

Looking forward to my next crack at them after a run to the coast Ukee style!

took my inflatable out with a buddy...beautiful day but little action found our rods today. Fished the morning hours with Ooolichans...a few bites but couldn't get them to stick. Managed to scoop up some roe from a floater the gulls were having there way with...hopefully that produces a few more results tommorrow. Fished the area outfront the Dewdney slough in the main river.

On another note,

Was down at the Dewdney Slough Boat launch and noticed quite a few sockeye on the beach with their heads removed ahead of the collar. The fish looked reasonable fresh, and were not hatchery fish (i thought maybe fisheries collected heads from dead shore fish) but they were wild salmon. Sockeye do not run up the Slough to spawn so it was a real mystery to me and a buddy as to why these headless sockeye were in this area....if anyone cares to wager a guess I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this...

Back