Fraser River sockeye returns predicted to be dismal — again — this summer

Several reasons are to blame for this summer’s dismal situation, including low spawning escapements four years ago and poor survival related to warm ocean conditions.

“Unusually warm ocean temperatures, now referred to as the ‘warm blob’, were observed in the central northeast Pacific Ocean throughout 2014 and 2015,” the commission said in a news release. “Warm temperatures of this magnitude and duration have not been observed in over 50 years.” Forgot to mention the gaunlet of Sea Lice Infested and Disease carrying Salmon Farm Feed lots the sockeye smolts need to swim past in order to survive to be able to return and spawn.

Forgot to mention the gaunlet of Sea Lice Infested and Disease carrying Salmon Farm Feed lots the sockeye smolts need to swim past in order to survive to be able to return and spawn.
Love it, and it was totally expected, lol!!
What part of warming water temperatures and its effect on ocean feeding and Fraser River migrating sockeye don't you understand?
Oh yeah, sorry ... all of it.

How many went missing between tsawassen and spuzzum that made it back to the mouth 4 years ago. Many contributing factors to their decline and its not going to get better. Fraser chinook are going the same route...

Great stuff Agent, a graphic of sockeye feeding areas, another of present fish farms, and another with sea lice numbers. Seen it all before, yawn.

Sorry, but its seems to me you have not added anything relevant; do you have any new data to show fish farms are impacting wild sockeye stocks, or perhaps something to dispute this latest information from Mike Lapointe at the PSC?

A little off topic but very important imo; are you following the numbers of Chilliwack Lake sockeye? I believe this to be important as I and a past SFBC contributor, absolon, have said, the first step in saving wild salmon is to stop killing them. This Chilliwack Lake stock has virtually no impact from any fisheries, migrate into the Fraser River perhaps even earlier than Early Stuarts and is increasing or perhaps has reached its potential (app. 100,000 spawners every 4 years, this being a brood year) despite a relatively small, cold and low productivity rearing lake. Most likely this stock migrates past these same fish farms you showed but the difference is they are not harvested enroute or have major migratory issues.

To blame fish farms for low sockeye numbers is so lame when there is so much other data to suggest reasons.

Dave, vedder socks enter below where most of FN set and drift setting occurs on the fraser and therefore are almost untouched by it. But I am very sure you already know that!!

Dave, same old same old from you.
It's done, the science is there, even Norway is seeing the light. You are fighting a losing battle.
No one says that fish farms are the only problem, but certainly they are part of the problem and the quickest to reverse at this point.

Wrong. There is no real, documented science to prove fish farming here on the Pacific coast is having an impact on wild salmon, at the population level. What is happening in Norway, Chile, Ireland, Scotland, etc, is irrelevant as it pertains to this coast. Show me data to disprove this.

Hey, I'm as tired of saying this as you are of telling me I'm full of $hit, but, the quickest reversal to the trend of wild salmon declivity is to stop harvesting them. After that we have to work on freshwater habitat protection. The first requirement will be much harder to obtain than the second, imo.

although it isnt necessarily apples to apples, I think frequently about the Somass/Alberni Sockeye runs over the last couple years, and how their abundance has been much better than the last 10 years. If memory serves me correctly, 4 and 5 years ago were not stellar returns either, so this leads me to wonder in comparing them to the Fraser:
- is their freshwater habitat and survivability better? likely
- do they follow the same circuit through SE Alaska and back? likely (thus challenging the ocean feed and conditions/survivability theory?)
- do they miss the Broughton/Discovery gauntlet of penned salmon? yes... although I am not sure the overall impact on this runs survivability in comparison to the Fraser due to this factor.

Celebrity activists launch B.C. salmon farm expedition
David Suzuki gets pretty scatological when he talks about his problems with open-net salmon farming on B.C.’s coast.

“As a scientist, it makes no sense to grow animals in open nets where you use the ocean as a shithouse,” the famed environmentalist told reporters Monday. “Not only are you pooping in the ocean, but you’re also sharing the growth of sea lice and infections that explode in the enclosures.”

Suzuki has joined forces with actor Pamela Anderson, biologist Alexandra Morton and First Nations leaders to launch Operation Virus Hunter, a mission that will see scientists observing fish farms along the path of the Fraser River sockeye migration all the way to northern Vancouver Island. Along the way, they will be checking for diseased fish and other wildlife near aquaculture operations, searching for toxic algae blooms and looking at the waste that flows out of the marine net pens.

A key focus of the voyage will be testing for piscine reovirus (PRV), an infection that Morton claims is “strongly linked” to heart and skeletal muscle inflammation disease (HSMI) in salmon. HSMI is associated with mortality rates of up to 20 per cent in other parts of the world, and it appeared at a salmon farm in B.C. this spring.

Last year, a Federal Court judge ordered Fisheries and Oceans Canada to tighten up its rules on the transfer of fish into aquaculture pens after smolts bred by Marine Harvest Canada tested positive for PRV.

But those in the aquaculture industry dispute Morton’s claims of a strong link between PRV and HSMI — as do fisheries scientists with the federal government.

“It’s important to note that this particular virus doesn’t cause disease in salmon in British Columbia,” insisted Jeremy Dunn, executive director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association. “It’s actually very commonly found in the ocean.”

DFO research scientist Stewart Johnson confirmed there have been no reports of the virus causing illness in wild salmon here.

“It appears that it’s been around on this coast for a fair amount of time, but it’s simply gone unnoticed,” he said.

“One of the reasons why it’s probably gone unnoticed is that, unlike most other pathogens we have in British Columbia, it hasn’t caused disease that we recognize.”

The virus has been observed in all species of wild Pacific salmon, with the exception of pinks, in samples dating back at least 18 years, according to Johnson. It’s been found all the way from Washington state to Alaska, including in fish farms and in areas where there are no fish farms.

Canadian scientists have tested the possibility of a link between PRV and disease by infecting fish in the laboratory and then monitoring them for signs of illness. This research has been performed on sockeye, Chinook and coho, and each time the results have been the same.

“We have not been able to cause disease,” Johnson said. This is not uncommon for reoviruses, which are nicknamed “orphan viruses” because of the frequent lack of connection to disease.

However, he added that this is still an active area of research, and one Norwegian study has suggested an association between PRV and HSMI.

blindsay@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/bethanylindsay

Wrong. There is no real, documented science to prove fish farming here on the Pacific coast is having an impact on wild salmon, at the population level. What is happening in Norway, Chile, Ireland, Scotland, etc, is irrelevant as it pertains to this coast. Show me data to disprove this.

Hey, I'm as tired of saying this as you are of telling me I'm full of $hit, but, the quickest reversal to the trend of wild salmon declivity is to stop harvesting them. After that we have to work on freshwater habitat protection. The first requirement will be much harder to obtain than the second, imo.
Dave please reply to the response by Whitebuck. You must admit that other than the gauntlet of harbour seals (also a factor) the gauntlet of fish farms and sea lice are of course an issue.

Dave please reply to the response by Whitebuck. You must admit that other than the gauntlet of harbour seals (also a factor) the gauntlet of fish farms and sea lice are of course an issue.

What's to respond to? He agrees Chilliwack Lake sockeye are not significantly harvested on their migration route, like I said. And no, until I see proof I don't believe fish farms are impacting Fraser River sockeye stocks at the population level.

We should take FN to court for continuing to fish sockeye when the runs to warrant any fishing period! I wonder what the low number has to be when a conservation closure to all would be applied? Maybe 2 cycles of 0 fish!?!

Back