Fraser River Sockeye Fishing

Hi,

Going to be heading out tomorrow for some fishing with a friend of mine. We're in the abbotsford area now. We are both from Edmonton and are looking to get some local information on fishing the Fraser.

I'm reading that you're only allowed to fish for sockeye before sunrise and just before sunset, is this true?

We're hoping to spend the whole day on the river.

I found a website that shows a bunch of fishing bars along the Fraser but how do I know if it's non tidal or tidal? Anything east of Abbotsford is non tidal I'm assuming?

Any other helpful tips or information I could get would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks
Blair

I know that a lot of spots are busy because of the run this year and most people that have a good spot don't want to give it up but if anyone can recommend a spot that isn't too over crowded that would be great!

I heard that some anglers out there can get quite mad if you're not casting in sync with everyone and you happen to get a line crossed.

I'm still quite new so I don't want to be stepping on people's toes if I don't have to. I know it's going to be busy everywhere but any place that's "less busy" or a suggestion for a spot would be great appreciated!

Thanks again

It’s an interesting fishery unique to the Fraser river.
Google “flossing the Fraser river”
Good luck

Down river angler casts first, you will be standing 10 ft apart.

You will need line savers and bouncing bettys sizes 2-3oz.

Not sure of which bars would be best, might have to talk to a tackle store near by,

Do you have boat? Most good flossing bars are boat access only. The walk in bars like Peg Leg and Herrling Island are not really accessible now, like they used to be, gravel bars shift. I would try Scale Bar in Hope. You could get a Sockeye and if you get lucky maybe a Chinook. Bring patience and shorter leaders, like 5 feet. Check the regs as it could get closed earlier than expected.

Used to be walk in spots at gill road but I'd just launch my sled there and get away from the crowds. Size 1.5oz and 2oz are what you want

We are both from Edmonton and are looking to get some local information on fishing the Fraser.

Hire a charter to take you out to Sandheads and fish for them there. Many reasons why.
1) You can keep four fish.
2)Your fish will have actually bit the hook, rather than having been flossed.
3)You can keep four fish.
4)You won't have to stand nuts deep in the river, elbow to elbow with the guy beside you.
5)You can keep four fish.
6)You won't have to worry about some red neck wanting to fight you for low holing them
7)You can keep four fish
8)You can try for a Chinook
9)Did I mention you can keep four fish?

Flossed fish always bite on the opposite side of it's face compared to the side of the river you're on and no it doesn't matter what colour wool you use.

Do you have boat? Most good flossing bars are boat access only. The walk in bars like Peg Leg and Herrling Island are not really accessible now, like they used to be, gravel bars shift. I would try Scale Bar in Hope. You could get a Sockeye and if you get lucky maybe a Chinook. Bring patience and shorter leaders, like 5 feet. Check the regs as it could get closed earlier than expected.

I have a canoe?

Hire a charter to take you out to Sandheads and fish for them there. Many reasons why.
1) You can keep four fish.
2)Your fish will have actually bit the hook, rather than having been flossed.
3)You can keep four fish.
4)You won't have to stand nuts deep in the river, elbow to elbow with the guy beside you.
5)You can keep four fish.
6)You won't have to worry about some red neck wanting to fight you for low holing them
7)You can keep four fish
8)You can try for a Chinook
9)Did I mention you can keep four fish?

Thanks !

Back