Fraser River Chinook are the 9th most important source of prey for SRKW’s?

Took long enough for the Americans to admit to this fact. Lots of previous publications pointed the finger at the Fraser and I think most called bs in that

Fraser spring run tho is very important tho and it’s listed as third

Mostly spring and fall runs listed. Must be lots of food available in the summmer for them.

Last edited:
The abundance of Chinook salmon returning to Puget Sound rivers has scarcely changed in recent decades, in large
part because much of their habitat has been lost entirely or degraded so it cannot support healthy runs as it once did. In addition, many juvenile Puget Sound salmon and steelhead do not make it through their first few months at sea. NOAA Fisheries researchers have further found that young Puget Sound Chinook salmon carry high levels of contaminants
of emerging concern such as prescription drugs and antibacterial compounds, likely from local wastewater, at levels high enough to adversely affect their growth, reproduction, and behavior

Fraser Spring run is listed as 3rd most important.

The question is when will they address the elephant in the room?

Over an estimated 40 % of these fish are taken in the river!

I fish 5+ days a week 12 months a year and am very passionate and knowledgeable about our fisheries. I am on the Fraser almost daily when these fish are coming through...

Keeping your head in the sand isn’t going to solve the problems....

100% of upper fraser river stocks migrate within 10 feet from shore in the canyon. Starting in Spring there is netting on the fraser daily till the fall.

This will need to be addressed sooner or later, Its unsustainable

I fish 5+ days a week 12 months a year and am very passionate and knowledgeable about our fisheries. I am on the Fraser almost daily when these fish are coming through...

Keeping your head in the sand isn’t going to solve the problems....
Do you ever look under the rocks for stream ecology?

Cleaned up this thread for obvious reasons. As to the Pinniped thread, it was removed upon request of the OP.

Brian

Back